Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Gates (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-gates-503545/)

TuckH Feb 13th, 2005 01:29 PM

The Gates

Although I know this is the Europe board (and it's the only one I participate in), I'd like to say how much we enjoyed spending our Sunday in Central Park! We were not the only ones there I should add.

BTW - Christo and Jeanne-Claude are of European origin, right?

bellastar Feb 13th, 2005 02:07 PM

I have been walking the Gates all day too, and it's a magical experience, but your post belongs on the USA or even the "other topics" board, where travelers ot New York in the next two weeks can find it.

Betsy Feb 13th, 2005 02:20 PM

Oops, opened your post by mistake, thinking it might be about Bill and Melinda.

elaine Feb 13th, 2005 03:49 PM

Jeanne-Claude is French-born, I forget which country Christo is from,might be Eastern Europe--or Central :)

both are American citizens now, I read this weekend

It was a lovely sunny crisp day today in NYC, and the saffron fabric really lit up the park which was otherwise winter-bare.

Patrick Feb 13th, 2005 03:57 PM

Christo is from Bulgaria.

HowardR Feb 13th, 2005 04:02 PM

Please post your comments on the thread in the US forum (entitled, of course, "the gates").

Patrick Feb 13th, 2005 04:05 PM

Howard, as you know there is a huge thread on them on the US board. I don't think having a commentary on the gates on the Europe board (European artists doing an event in the US) is any different than a thread on the US board about Lance Armstrong winning the Tour de France -- and I know there have been a number of those. Some events are international in scope.

TuckH Feb 13th, 2005 04:38 PM

HowardR - I took a look at the US board - my first time - and yes, there's quite a discussion going on about The Gates.

Now, might I suggest that you invite those over there to our "I'm So Old That..." thread here on the Europe board? You can tell them there's (crossover) stuff about Korvette's, Howard Johnson's, Don Larsen, Uncle Miltie and all kinds of other goodies!

Carta_Pisana Feb 13th, 2005 04:58 PM

the Gates are wonderful - much better today with the blue cloudless skies than yesterday, which was overcast. The Gates glowed thoughout the park. And what crowds - people talking and laughing - and I agree with Patrick, it's an international event.

111op Feb 13th, 2005 05:05 PM

By the way, the roof garden at the Met is open during the installation. I trekked over for a view, but the saffron gates are barely visible. But there were quite a number of people who had the same idea.

Apparently, 7,500 of these were put up.

elaine Feb 13th, 2005 05:08 PM

here is the link to the discussion on the US forum

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34565614

111op Feb 13th, 2005 05:20 PM

It's interesting skimming the discussion on the US board -- there're some naysayers. To be honest, I myself couldn't see what the big deal was, but of course was glad to see it anyway.

It'd be interesting to see how their conception had changed over the years, as this was in the works for over a quarter of a century.

one4choice Feb 13th, 2005 05:27 PM

Hi to all - my wife and I are NY'ers and we were joyously moved by The Gates. What a wonderful Valentine from Christo & Jeanne-Claude to NYC and the world!
Roger & Joan

Gekko Feb 13th, 2005 06:45 PM

Underwhelming and a waste.

A lot of New Yorkers agree.

Take it or leave it.

StCirq Feb 13th, 2005 06:49 PM

I heard some commentary on the radio today that the gates give an impression of warmth and sunlight, and that even on a cold New York winter day, when you walk under them you feel a sense of a warm, sunny day. Is that true, or was it just artistic PR hype?

111op Feb 13th, 2005 07:04 PM

It's PR hype, StCirq -- well, in my humble opinion, anyway.

Gekko Feb 13th, 2005 07:42 PM

Hype. Today was a sunny day in NYC anyway. Tomorrow will be the test -- gloomy and rainy.

And don't be fooled by this "saffron" nonsense -- it's "orange."

HowardR Feb 14th, 2005 05:03 AM

Most of us New Yorkers love The Gates and are chuckling over Gekko's rants! Oh yes, and quite a few tourists seem to be enjoying it as well.

starspinners Feb 14th, 2005 05:16 AM

< Patrick said, "Some events are international in scope.">
I happen to agree.
I'll be in NYC next week. I'm not going there specifically for the Gates, but since they are there I certainly will walk the few blocks from my hotel to see them.

StCirq Feb 14th, 2005 05:36 AM

<<But, as any American junior-high-school kid will tell you, the precise shade is "vomit orange." >>

Maybe Fodor's got the idea for its new design from this?