Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Fur is Flying: Do you wear fur coats to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a mink jacket coat and would love to take it with me to Rome in March.

I know the Italians wear mink every winter, is it practical to travel with? I'm sure some of the Fodorites have ideas on this.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 02:47 PM

I have a fur shearling that I got in Montreal, right before we decided to move to Florida!!!
So I am taking it to Paris in March. Even if it is warm LOL
Word from friends who were just in France is that everywhere you look there are furs and shearlings.
Congrats on the mink
<i>You know fur will fly once <b>some</b> people read this </i>
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM

SeaUrchin, I wore mine in Italy last March. I loved having it with ne. However, I did end up carrying it half the time because it got warm during the day.
Scarlett, don't let being in Florida stop you! I have a policy of wearing my coat whenever the temp dips below... 60 degrees! I take a lot of ribbing, but I just laugh and tell people they're just jealous of my beautiful coat, and they don't disagree ; )
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 02:59 PM

LOL, Nutella, I have been seeing that recently, a brisk breeze and cool temps bring out the fur coats.
Actually, I am noticing that the cold is bothering me more already than it ever did in NYC..my blood thinned fast

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Coat usage is one way you could distinguish me from a native in Italy. I didn't have a fur, but I got too hot as soon as I was inside a building and had to take my coat off. None of the Italians seem to do this. They would sit through mass with their coats on, shop with their coats on, etc.

SeaUrchin, I thought it was too hot to wear a coat at all on January afternoons in Rome. The thought of wearing fur in March gives me heatstroke . But it sure does look good on the Italian ladies.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 03:11 PM
alg

Avoiding a debate on the merits of fur, my first thought was: won't it take up a lot of room in your suitcase/carry-on/however you plan to get it to Rome? Seems like a great loss of space that could instead be used for bringing home goodies.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 03:13 PM

I am sorry if I am non-PC, I love my fur coats! And I certainly would take them for winter travel! However, the last time we were in Rome ,in Feb., last year, I could not have standed wearing them! I was too hot in just a sweater and a thin raincost. But there were all sorts of Italian ladies bundled up in furs! Maybe it is just my AGE!!

I think fur is wonderful for winter travel...okay beat me, whip me,shoot me...I even like bull fights!.. It's warm , sheds water, dries quickly!
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Too cold? I am a cold weather sissy! Right now weather.com says it is 34 degrees and feels like 26 in Roma. This will be the first trip where I hope it will be chilly so I can wear my new coat.
Now that I think of it, they don't take off their furs inside buildings do they?
How strange.

I am thinking about getting it over there too, I guess I will carry it on the plane and hope no one spills or throws catsup on it.