Last night on Coronation Street one character was making remarks about some B&B some place and waxing un-romantic about 'with a "French toilet".
Now I had never heard of a French Toilet before in any context but here is what at least some Brits call the "French Toilet" - something you would never ever seen in civilized Britain I think.
Well images above are of the "French Toilet" which though still can be seen throughout France you see less and less - the French call them "Turkish Toilets" or Vespasieenes - named for the Emperor Vespasienne who I guess was instrumental in their evolution.
Well here is a rundown of various toilet in France - IME of many French toilets some in even fairly well off homes stink to high Hell - the toilet stool is almost always in a room by itself with the bathroom adjoining for washing, etc.
And the TP in some houses is vertually no ply!
So in France the toilets there are often a real let down - at least for Brits and Americans!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 2 Le Marche Research Help
- 3 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 4 GTG Paris December 2017
- 5 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 6 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 7 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 8 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 9 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 10 Favorite London memories
- 11 10 Days in Austria
- 12 Help/Critique Slovenia Trip
- 13 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 14 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 15 Preliminary planning for Croatia May or June 2017
- 16 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 17 Return to Slovenia and Venice plus Trieste
- 18 Norte Dame light show!
- 19 Leaving Paris. Just a little sad.
- 20 Avignon
- 21 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 22 8 months around Europe
- 23 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 24 Hotels or apartments recommendations for Seville Malaga Córdoba Ronda
- 25 Ronda or Jerez