Reload this Page >

The Falcon Hotel - London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 09:57 AM
Scott

I will be staying at this hotel (11 Norfolk Square, near Paddington station) for four nights as part of my first trip to Europe next month. They’re only charging me 35 pounds/night for a basic, single room with a private shower (bathroom is outside of the room, they tell me). My questions: <BR> <BR>* That seems like a really low rate to me. Is there some sort of catch to this? They assure me the only added fees would be if I pay with a credit card (a 4% charge). VAT and an English breakfast are included. Am I missing something? <BR> <BR>* Has anyone stayed at this hotel, or is someone at least familiar with it? Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks, all! <BR>

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 01:34 PM
Sheila

I haven't stayed there but it sounds like the shower is the catch. Are you sure it's private?

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 03:47 PM
Elizabeth

I don't like the sound of that shower either. As I understand a private shower means outside of the room but your sole use, not necessary en-suite(or in the room). I don't like the sound of a 4% fee for credit card use either. How knows the place could be a great budget accomadation, and thats my two-cents.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 03:47 PM
Elizabeth

I don't like the sound of that shower either. As I understand a private shower means outside of the room but your sole use, not necessary en-suite(or in the room). I don't like the sound of a 4% fee for credit card use either. How knows the place could be a great budget accomadation, and thats my two-cents.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 06:18 PM
wes fowler

Scott, <BR>Norfolk Square is one block north of Sussex Gardens and a block or two south of Paddington Station. The whole area is loaded with hotels that have been converted from former townhouses. It's really a mixed bag and a matter of luck in finding a place in the area that's suitable; some have horrendously small rooms that are hardly immaculate; most are characterless. Not having been in London in the past four years, I'm reluctant to recommend anything in the area, not knowing current information regarding ownership changes, refurbishments or closures. I do know that after one look at rooms in three hotels in the area, I moved elsewhere.

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 06:32 PM
Ron

Scott, the operative word is "basic". Expect a room about 6 ft wide and a couple of feet longer than the bed, a small closet, probably with no hangers, no bureau or shelf space, 13" tv hanging from the wall and a small table with coffee/tea making facilities. What I just described is a 40 pound room in the same area of London last Fall, with en-suite sink, toilet and shower. In that case the place was clean, well maintained and the owners/operators were friendly; the english breakfast would barely qualify for the title, but it was ok and about all one could expect in London these days. And Frank, too, charged extra for payment by credit card - that is not uncommon in England for small family run establishments. These places have no trouble fully booking up with cash paying customers, so why should they leave 4 or 5% on the table for the banks? To me, your only concern is whether it is a well-run establishment or not, which you won't find out unless a former guest responds.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 03:39 AM
Scott

Thanks for the replies. As for the room being "basic," that's pretty much what I expected, and all I really want. I'm just looking for a place to sleep and get dressed (even if I have to do it standing on the bed for lack of room!) <BR> <BR>I called the hotel yesterday, and they told me the shower was in the room and the bathroom was outside of it. Again, that's fine with me, unless I didn't understand them correctly. <BR> <BR>By the way, I called the hotel from here in the U.S. for free. I forget the name of the web site (NetCall or something?) but it allows you to call a number of London hotels for free. You just tell it the number where you are and when you want to be called back, then your phone will ring and the call will be connected. If anyone wants more details, let me know and I'll try and come up with a URL.