Reload this Page >

THE Essential Travel Item

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:22 AM
Janine

I'm leaving for Europe in a little over three weeks and just starting to assemble all those useful bits and pieces I want to take with me. I'm planning to travel very light - as much as possible. <BR>Apart from the obvious clothes, camera, passport etc. I was just wondering what people thought was the most essential item to pack - either something they never travel without, or wish they had taken with them in the past. <BR>For me, with approx. 24hrs travelling from Australia to reach Europe - I find a little blow-up neck pillow to be essential if I am to have any hope of getting any sleep. <BR>I'm really interested to hear what everyone else considers to be of essence.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Bob

My maps and good walking shoes.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Donna

A photocopy of your passport and extra passport photos (much quicker to replace your passport should it get lost or stolen), a list (a copy of which you should leave with someone back home) of all your credit card numbers and the phone number at your destination (those USA 800 numbers do not work from overseas) for reporting lost or stolen cards (never carry all of your cards together in the same place), a small compass, a bottle of water.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Mika

laptop and adapters

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:44 AM
s.fowler

My husband! <BR> <BR>After that: good walking shoes, a good map, an ATM card -- my ability to enjoy what happens and my sense of humor

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:55 AM
linda

Janine, I never travel without my faxed confirmations for the hotels where I will be staying. They are easily discarded after your arrival at your hotel. When and if the occassion arrives when the confirmation is needed, you will be very happy to have it. There have been two times over tha years when having it has saved the day. Once my reservation was fine but communication was the problem. The receptionist and I could not understand each other. Producing the fax solved the problem. There were smiles and laughter rather than sighs and moans. <BR> <BR>Worth the effort. <BR> <BR>linda

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:26 AM
s.fowler

Good advice Linda! But let me be even a bit more anal Don't discard the faxes until you check out in case there is any question about the LENGTH of your stay. <BR> <BR>Our hotel had us written in for 2 more nights for the 4 rooms we were using. The early departure penalty would have been 4 nights charged -- my fax from them clearly showed the correct length of stay and all was well -- but without that fax -- who knows??

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Monica

An open mind.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:40 AM
linda

Will now hold on to my fax a little longer! Thank you S. Fowler. <BR> <BR>linda

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Alexis

A really good phrase book.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Hear This

A great attitude!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 10:02 AM
lina

A hot water bottle. Great for inadequate heating, bed covers or a cold or stomach upset.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:44 AM
cindy

I have discovered the menu translator books and will never travel without them again. It makes buying and ordering food so much easier!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>extra money - tucked away, saved for emergency.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Diane

Cheryl -- the extra cash made me grin. I took out the leather bag I bought in Florence this past May -- Hadn't used it yet as it was still too summery here -- and found, in a small zippered pocket -- $160 USD cash! I think we put it there as we still had 10 days of traveling ahead of us, and I knew it would be safely packed away. Must have totally forgotten about it (I'm glad it wasn't in lira!).

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Emmy

A swiss army knife. <BR> <BR>Where did you find menu translator books Cindy?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Book Chick

Emmy, <BR>I'm jumping in uninvited to answer your question. You can obtain the Marling Menu Master in several different languages from www.packinglight.com as well as a number of other online bookstores. (Amazon/Borders, for example.) <BR>Happy Travels & Bon Appetit, <BR>BC

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Bunny

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is Downey Wrinkle Release. The end result is not as crisp and smooth as an iron, but it's easy and has a pleasant scent. I don't travel without it!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Lauren

Tummy upset medication to cover all possibilities.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Debbie

Janine-Don't forget a small bottle of hand sanitizer for your purse. You might also find handy a sealable plastic bag for receipts-should you need to declare anything at customs. <BR> <BR>This has been a great thread for all travelers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -