Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > The essence of Swiss in 4-5 days for first timers

The essence of Swiss in 4-5 days for first timers

May 22nd, 2017, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

The essence of Swiss in 4-5 days for first timers

We would be visiting Switzerland as part of our Europe trip.
I would like to know about the options of travelling to Switzerland from Paris, France.

Also to let you know about our background. We are a family of 3 members : husband, wife and 2 year old kid. We would be visiting after mid of September.

Some of the things in my mind currently are experience the snow, mountains ,lakes, countryside villages towns etc.
Regions on my list:
-------------------------
Eiger, Monch and Junfrau
Jungfrau region, Grindelwald
Activities on my list :
-------------------------
Stay at some countryside village/town to experience the culture/food and scenic beauty
Hot air balloon/parachute
Swiss Alps via cable car
Swiss Alps via panoramic train
Glacier 3000 by cable car.
Cliff walk

Please suggest some good ideas for planning this trip.
Please let me know about some good average accommodation options also.
May 22nd, 2017, 10:27 AM

Yes you will find all or most of that in the Jungfrau Region - for a cute village many here simply love Wengen - great for families - stupendous views -easy access to Jungfraujoch train and gondolas,etc. Trains of course are best - check www.sbb.ch - Swiss Railways for fares and schedules but also check out various passes including the Swiss Pass and Berner Oberland Pass - info on Swiss trains - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.
May 22nd, 2017, 11:53 AM

I love the Lauterbrunnen Valley (where Wengen is located.) You might consider picking up a Rick Steves travel book as he has a lot of practical information.

From Paris, you can take a train, rent a car or possibly take a short flight to a nearby city. One caveat: hotels and transportation in Switzerland are very expensive.

I would imagine a hot air balloon/parachute ride would likely not be allowed with a two year old.
May 22nd, 2017, 01:25 PM

Paris to Switzerland -book at www.voyages-sncf.com - French railways official site - book really early to nab deep discounted tickets - www.thretrainline.eu has same fares and is a lot easy to use folks here say.

Discounted tickets are non-changeable non-refundable I think so be sure of your dates and don't miss the train but way cheaper than walk-up fares. Will take about 5 hrs I think Paris to Interlaken. About as quick as flying to Zurich or even quicker and you see the land in between.

Search this Thread