Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The elusive `Northern Lights` Where I go , they don`t!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I`ve been to Norway twice and Iceland once, hoping to see the `Lights`.
It seems that wherever I am the show won`t go on.This year in Tromso they were out in all their glory about 20 minutes before I landed and several times earlier in the week.
It a good thing I love the cold countries, I even went dog sledding which was fantastic.
My enthusiasm is beginning to wane however, along with my bank account.
Has anyone seen them in Sweden? Finland?
Or should I try Scotland or Canada?
I do know it is all in the lap or whim of the Gods,but I guess my hope springs eternal......
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 12:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen them in the Artic circle in Finland in Feb. -17C after a beer. Watched them for 10 minutes, went back for another beer.

I guess modern life gets you used to coloured lights.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 12:27 AM

Oh, yes. Japanese newly weds like to conceive under them so follow the Japanese websites
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen them in Denmark, but didn't notice any Japanese newly weds!
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 01:22 AM

I hope not, in Finland we didn't see them either, they were busy procreating
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 01:52 AM

Here is a good article about maximizing your chances:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Northern_Lights

I would love to see them as well, and I'd also love to see a volcano erupting. However, I've never attempted to travel to see these things, because I have a feeling that all activity would stop as soon as I arrive. Living in Italy, I sometimes hanker to go to Sicily to see some of the fantastic eruptions of Aetna. But I would have to leave on the spur of the moment, and still have no guarantee that it would still be active when I got there.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 01:56 AM

Yellowknife is as good a place as any to see them. In fact probably better than most I am told.
A good flare will result in them being visible in Northern US states too.

Due to the positioning of the magnetic north pole Canada is more likely to see the Aurora than Europe, though the pole is now on the move and that will change. Also you are more likely to get clear skies inland. A lot colder than any European viewing option though!

I have been lucky enough to enjoy them every trip to Norway.

Iceland is also a good place to go. Far less likely in Scotland, and if they are visible there they are rarely overhead, which is when yo get the best displays.
Around the equinoxes is the most likely time to see them, but they occur all year around, you just can't see them in summer as it doesn't really get dark enough.

The solar maximum was disappointing and there wasn't the expected activity. We will now be heading back to solar minimum reducing the chances of them still further I'm afraid.

www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast is a good site for predicitions - you can choose the map view you want. Also www.spaceweather.com and www.swpc.noaa.gov are useful resources for Aurora watchers.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 01:58 AM

I will add though that on my second trip on the Hurtigruten I met a woman who sails with them every winter and it was the first time she had ever seen the aurora, after 17 years! SO it is very much down to luck.
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 08:12 AM

She must have forgotten to look up in the sky or been sailing only in the southern stretches. Around Tromsø you should see some sort of display very frequently, but often late at night and of course you will only see if the sky is clear. That is usually the main problem - waiting for a clear cloudless night. If it's not a very strong display then you must also be away from the light pollution of a city. From Tromsø there are northern lights chasing tours where they drive you to where the skies are clear. http://www.visittromso.no/en/NorthernLights/
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 09:51 AM

Due to the Earth's magnetic field, Tromso is generally regarded to one of the best places to see the Aurora.

As dyoll points out, the worst trade off is that fact that you can only have beautiful snow fall or clear sky with the Aurora.
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 10:03 AM

I can remember seeing the northern lights as a child from just north of Seattle. It never occurred to me that people travel to see the northern lights...
Old Sep 3rd, 2014, 03:16 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
The best view I ever had was out of an airplane window. A Seattle - Toronto night flight. The pilot even made an announcement.

Ian
Old Sep 5th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies,but I`m none the wiser.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 12:05 AM

Well you are. We have told you where they are visible, and we have told you they are completely unpredictable. You should choose a place to visit because it interests you and offers you enough to do besides aurora hunting. Seeing the lights is a bonus. Even if there is a display it may not be visible where you are due to cloud, whereas a few kms away it can be clear and spectacular, or vice versa.

On our last trip on the Hurtigruten many people were confused and disappointed with the lights after an announcement was made and everyone rushed on deck. All they could see was a hazy white cloud. They didn't understand that that was aurora.
A couple of nights later we enjoyed a spectacular display, but there was no one else about, late night, no announcement and knowing what to look for helped.
You too may have seen them without realising it.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 06:08 AM

Only time I've seen them was also from a plane. Traveling in Nov. from JFK to Vienna. We were just south of Greenland.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 07:10 AM

It seems to me I saw them in my youth in eastern Washington State, which is pretty far north.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 07:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Thanks for your replies,but I`m none the wiser.<<

As has been explained on all of your threads, you really can't plan a trip solely to see the Northern Lights. Just completely unpredictable.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 07:36 AM

That really is the advice.

Head to somewhere with a high chance of the lights showing, at the right time of year but pick somewhere that has lots of activities other than sitting about for 5 hours a night.

Tromso fits really well.

The post above relating to someone cruising for years and not seeing the lights is just simply incredible. I have no idea what the percentage chances are but their experiences seem really odd.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 08:57 AM
cwn

Go to Alaska! We have seen them on two different visits to the Fairbanks, Alaska area in early September (first two weeks). Both times we first noticed them about 8PM and the display continued for several hours...beautiful. Plus it is a nice time to visit Alaska...fall colors and few other visitors.
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 09:08 AM

I think Alaska or Canada makes most sense, certainly if you are in North America anyway.
The woman on the Hurtigruten had bad luck, but I believe her. It can be cloudy, you can be too far south, or they may just not happen. Another couple had never seen them before despite a couple of trips to Tromsø. We missed a spectacular display due to heavy cloud, whilst those further north, and further south saw them.

They aren't always great curtains of green either. Photos make them much greener than the human eye sees. They can just look like white cloud, except you can see the stars through them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -