Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The early purchase of Amsterdam, Bruges and Bavaria tickets?

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 5 senior Texans that hope (we have cancelled three COVID trips) we will be able to make trip to Amsterdam, Bruges and Bavarian Alps the end of April, 2022. I have some questions on how early you think we should buy the tickets. Our psyche is to purchase early but reality says if personal or world health go awry, how much cost could be recovered (we purchase travel insurance) I will also do a similar post on TripAdvisor.

1. Keukenhof - we are scheduled to arrive in Amsterdam via Delta on a Thursday at 8:00am. Don't forget that Keukenhof was closed in 2021 - pent up demand. We plan on going directly from airport to tour gardens.We obviously have no control over airplane delays. We will need to clear customs, etc. I am thinking that we should purchase tickets for 10ish and purchase as soon as they go on sale. What is your opinion. If plane is, say 3 hours late, are we just out of luck or will they allow a later entry than shows on tickets?

2. Anne Frank house - suggestions on how early to purchase tickets (I understand that they sell out months in advance).

3. Similar thoughts on Van Gogh and Rijsmuseums?

4. Zugspitze Cable Car Eibsee and Hohenschwangau. Obviously weather is a major consideration. If we purchase tickets for the cable car and it is foggy - no reason to go to the top of a mountain. The tickets for two are about $150. If we make for one day will they allow us to use/move to the next day (obviously subject to availability) if cloudy? Same concern about castle. If we have to move cable car to the following day, can we exchange castle tickets?

Details, details and more details.Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 07:41 AM

Hi Philip,

No, you cannot exchange or get refunds for tickets to the Zugspitze or Neuschwanstein. That's why it's very important to wait until the day-of to buy Zugspitze tickets. However, you really ought to get tickets for Neuschwanstein in advance, as they do sell out, or the day-of ticket line can be excruciatingly long. It's a dilemma. But the cost of the Neuschwanstein tour is quite a bit less, so easier to swallow that loss.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 09:50 PM

You are going straight from a transatlantic flight to Keukenhof? Where will you leave your luggage?
Don't know if you can get in if you miss your timeslot, but I wouldn't do it on arrival day.

Anne Frank; book as soon as tickets are available.
Rijksmuseum doesn't need booking that long in advance, unless there's a special exhibition that's very popular. Van Gogh maybe a few weeks in advance? Check the site occasionally to see how busy it is. I could go to Van Gogh today if I wanted to. The Rijksmuseum exhibit on slavery is booked solid for July though.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 04:50 PM

Even if it were not pandemic times I would not arrive at any airport at 8 and book a ticket for a distance away at 10am. You will still be finding your luggage, finding a toilet, finding an ATM, finding transport, clearing immigration, etc at 9:00 - 9:30. You would not want to get there late and have them not let you in after all that planning. And late in the day is risky also because you may be jet lagged and need sleep. Can you not just plan gentle city strolls for the first day? Maybe check out a brown café and just orient yourselves? Do some window shopping in the Negen Straatjes? I would certainly drop the luggage at the hotel first. Even if your room is not ready the hotel will take your bags. If you must do Keukenhof then book it for the early afternoon, but if your plane arrives late, as you foreshadow, you have lost the tickets.

Lavandula