Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   THe "done to death" topic--hotels in Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-done-to-death-topic-hotels-in-prague-212528/)

d Dec 3rd, 2001 08:27 PM

THe "done to death" topic--hotels in Prague

...but I've done my research. Here is what I'm looking at:<BR><BR>*don't want a chain hotel, or a Hilton or 4 seasons<BR>*would like to be in Old Town or Mala Strana (Praha 1?), and trains/buses accessible<BR>*character/flavor would be a great plus<BR>*no shared bathrooms!!<BR><BR>So, heres my list:<BR><BR>*Cloister Inn<BR><BR>* Hoffmeister (even though I've read some negative posts<BR><BR>*Metamorphis<BR><BR>* Domus Henrici<BR><BR>*Hotel Malastrana<BR><BR>*Hotel U Zlate Studny<BR><BR>*Hotel Maximilliam<BR><BR>*U Cerna Liska<BR><BR>* Ambassador<BR><BR>Sorry for the long post...any help is appreciated.<BR><BR>best, D.

Doug Dec 3rd, 2001 10:05 PM

Stayed at the The House at the Three Ostriches couple years back. Fantastic location just on other side of Charles river bridge. Very walkable to old town center, but away from the bustle (hopefully you are going in off season -- I was there this exact time of year, with very few tourist, a light snow fall.... ) Anyway, this hotel was great, great view, but a little expensive. Hope this helps.

Shirley Dec 4th, 2001 06:48 AM

Spent a week in Prague the first week of November. We stayed at U Zlate Studny. It is a beautiful hotel full of charater and the people were very nice and speak English. The rooms are spacious, some with wonderful views. The only drawn back is that it located on the busiest street in Prague. On week-ends, it can be noisy and there is some street construction going on. Despite this, I would definately stay there again. The location can't be beat .

Leslie Dec 4th, 2001 07:52 AM

I stayed at Na Kampe 15 (House at the Charles Bridge) from November 14th through the 24th -- marvelous little hotel on the Mala Strana side, very close to the Three Ostriches, which is also very nice. The Hotel U Zlate Studny is on one of the busiest tourist streets in Prague, and while I was there, road construction was being done in front of the hotel. Being that cobble stones were being laid, I think that the job will take quite a while to be finished. The Hotel Metamorphis is in a secluded square in front of the Tyn Church, however, just outside of that square is a very large tourist area where the Jan Hus Statue and Astrological Clock are. The Cloister Inn and Bethlem Club are across the street from each other in the same square that the Bethlehem Church is, it's somewhat secluded and in the Old Town, not far from the Charles Bridge. The choice is up to you. <BR><BR>If you're interested in the hotel I stayed in, just email me and I will send you my travelogue, or do a search on "Leslie" and you will find other posts that I have left regarding Prague. Just a little bit of information, the hotel I stayed at is on Na Kampa Island in Mala Strana, it is on the river, with a view of the Old Town and Charles Bridge. The hotel was initially built in 1570 and was a brewery, it was remodeled in the early 1990s, and is charming. The hotel is also one of the locations in the first "Mission Impossible" movie. Great staff, enormous and comfortable room, wonderful breakfast buffet included, and it was well located and quiet in the evening.<BR><BR>Leslie

Christina Dec 4th, 2001 09:48 AM

I stayed at the Maximillian and just loved it, it was one of my favorite hotels in any city. However, it is perhaps a chain hotel but someone's definition (Golden Tulip); many people who decry chain hotels in Europe don't really know what they mean as there are wide differences in various chains and many of them are simply franchises or marketing consortiums and thus that doesn't mean anything (that they belong to that chain) at all in comparison to tons of other similar hotels of that size and quality. Depends what you mean by chain, some people have called Relais & Chateaux a chain, which I suppose it is as much as Best Western (which I also do not call a chain) or Logis de France, but so what, I've stayed in hotels from all of these and they were all nice. There are a couple chain hotels in Prague which are pretty nice (some Marriott properties) but you haven't named them (as a matter of fact, I think the Hoffmeister belongs to one of those "chains", Relais & Chateaux). The Hilton is nothing special, I'll agree. The only chain around there I'd avoid, other than Hilton, is the Ibis (which is French but is in Prague, I think). Anyway, maybe you should rethink what you mean by that -- Maximillian, part of the Gold Tulip chain, is terrific. (BTW Golden Tulip is really like BW, a mktg consortium and depending on your politics, if you have any issues with nationality, that hotel is actually Austrian)