COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The (dis)United Kingdom and all its works

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Sheila

In asking this question, I'm just interested in perceptions not politics.

The question about "where have you been" made me wonder how many of you from outside the UK perceive, either in advance or after you've been, a difference in your destination.

Have you been to the UK? Or to England and Wales and Scotland? Did any of of you say (or do you think) England, when you mean Scotland or Wales?

Not to exclude Northern Ireland

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Sjoerd

I (almost) never use "UK" and "(Great) Britain". When I travel I will accurately describe where I go (as in "I will be going to Scotland this summer".)
However, in talking politics, economics etc., I admit that I will sometimes use England and English as substitutes for Britain and British, especially when I speak Dutch. The words "Groot Britannië" just don't sound well in Dutch. So I will say "the English economy is doing well"

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Ellen

When we went last summer, we were very aware of going to England AND Wales. Perhaps because we're history-oriented. And the language thing in Wales accentuated its distinctiveness. And yet of course they're parts of the same country now - they use the same money!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Tony Hughes

Sjoerd, whether itsounds right or not, it's wrong. Are you from holland or the netherlands?

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:10 AM
devra

We just say England, or Scotland or Wales, depending on where we're headed.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Gavin

We just returned from 10 days in East Anglia, 4 in Paris and 3 in London. I am looking at an envelope of papers from that trip that my wife labelled England & Paris May 2002.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:27 PM
janis

When answering general questions I usually use "UK" since it is a LOT shorter than "England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland" and often the same advice suffices for all four places. For questions about a specific region(s) I use the name of that area.

I sometimes preface with "I lived in the UK for . . . . " or "I travel to the UK . . " when the specific location isn't relevant.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 02:37 PM
carolyn

Sheila, if I sense that people are really interested, I say England, Scotland, Wales; otherwise, I just say we went to Great Britain.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 02:39 PM
carolyn

Sorry, I meant to say that I can't say UK because everyone I know thinks that is the University of Kentucky.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 09:23 PM
X Trapnel

If people know anything about the country I usually tell them the specific regions or cities I went to, otherwise I would say England. I've never actually been to Scotland or Wales, so I haven't grossly misrepresented anybody there yet; if I did go I would probably specify them by their distinct entities rather than "Britain" unless I had spent a year traversing the idea from top to bottom or something like that.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 09:24 PM
X Trapnel

that should be traversing the island