Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The (dis)United Kingdom and all its works (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-dis-united-kingdom-and-all-its-works-229234/)

Sheila Jun 8th, 2002 01:16 AM

The (dis)United Kingdom and all its works

In asking this question, I'm just interested in perceptions not politics.<BR><BR>The question about "where have you been" made me wonder how many of you from outside the UK perceive, either in advance or after you've been, a difference in your destination.<BR><BR>Have you been to the UK? Or to England and Wales and Scotland? Did any of of you say (or do you think) England, when you mean Scotland or Wales?<BR><BR>Not to exclude Northern Ireland

Sjoerd Jun 8th, 2002 01:22 AM

I (almost) never use "UK" and "(Great) Britain". When I travel I will accurately describe where I go (as in "I will be going to Scotland this summer".)<BR>However, in talking politics, economics etc., I admit that I will sometimes use England and English as substitutes for Britain and British, especially when I speak Dutch. The words "Groot Britanni&euml;" just don't sound well in Dutch. So I will say "the English economy is doing well"

Ellen Jun 8th, 2002 01:24 AM

When we went last summer, we were very aware of going to England AND Wales. Perhaps because we're history-oriented. And the language thing in Wales accentuated its distinctiveness. And yet of course they're parts of the same country now - they use the same money!

Tony Hughes Jun 8th, 2002 04:04 AM

Sjoerd, whether itsounds right or not, it's wrong. Are you from holland or the netherlands?

devra Jun 8th, 2002 11:10 AM

We just say England, or Scotland or Wales, depending on where we're headed.

Gavin Jun 8th, 2002 12:27 PM

We just returned from 10 days in East Anglia, 4 in Paris and 3 in London. I am looking at an envelope of papers from that trip that my wife labelled England & Paris May 2002.

janis Jun 8th, 2002 12:27 PM

When answering general questions I usually use "UK" since it is a LOT shorter than "England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland" and often the same advice suffices for all four places. For questions about a specific region(s) I use the name of that area.<BR><BR>I sometimes preface with "I lived in the UK for . . . . " or "I travel to the UK . . " when the specific location isn't relevant.

carolyn Jun 8th, 2002 02:37 PM

Sheila, if I sense that people are really interested, I say England, Scotland, Wales; otherwise, I just say we went to Great Britain.

carolyn Jun 8th, 2002 02:39 PM

Sorry, I meant to say that I can't say UK because everyone I know thinks that is the University of Kentucky.

X Trapnel Jun 8th, 2002 09:23 PM

If people know anything about the country I usually tell them the specific regions or cities I went to, otherwise I would say England. I've never actually been to Scotland or Wales, so I haven't grossly misrepresented anybody there yet; if I did go I would probably specify them by their distinct entities rather than "Britain" unless I had spent a year traversing the idea from top to bottom or something like that.

X Trapnel Jun 8th, 2002 09:24 PM

that should be traversing the island