Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Da Vinci Code.....memories of Paris!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why did I think the Da Vinci code would take place in Italy? Just done reading this thriller and my husband is tired of me talking about it so I will turn to the trusty fodorites!

Great book, I'm not normally a fan of the thriller. Fantastic descriptions of Paris, art, the Louvre, etc.

If you are planning a trip to Paris and want to be reading something that reflects the location this is a good one.

And don't even get me started on the secret society stuff!!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:44 AM

Fabulous book! I loved it. I wish someone would do a Davinci Code tour..it could be very interesting IMO. Judy ;-)
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:48 AM

If you like Da Vinci Code and are interested in Rome try his earlier work-Angels & Demons.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:34 AM

Dear Readers, if you liked 'Da Vinci code', try to find an old copy of 'The Eight' The setting is the middle east when OPEC was forming. It bounces across continents with an American woman unraveling the mysteries of the fountain of youth. The author weaves myth, history, even Catherine the Great and Richelieu into the quest. I wish I still had my copy of that one.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:37 AM

We were in London last month and sought out some of the sites in the book. I have photos if you're interested.

You might like the challenge on Dan Brown's website. I didn't do it but my daughters did. They said the prize is a trip to Paris. www.danbrown.com
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:04 AM

For another view, there's an interesting thread in the Francophile forum
http://forums.delphiforums.com/PBProvence/start

I can't comment as I haven't read the book.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:15 AM

Wso, I read it too, and it is by Katherine Neville. Similar to the Davinci Code, is "the Magic Circle", also by Katherine Neville, which is one of my very favorite books of all time! PLease read this book! You will love it! Judy
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:21 AM

Judy, thanks for the tip! I have to finish 'The Forger' for bookclub this week and then I'll locate 'Magic Circle' and indulge myself.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Grasshopper, that code business just took me 30 minutes but I did it! fun, thanks~!
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:51 AM

I'm in the middle of Angels & Demons (interesting place to be) and the Da Vinci Code awaits! Guess I'll have to read faster.=D>
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:03 AM

I also just finished the DaVinci Code. The story was amazing! I have been so interested in seeing the Musee D'Orsay, but the book has me interested in the Louvre more than before. The comment on a tour of Davinci Code sights is a good one. I would take it. For those who haven't read it, run to the bookstore!
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 03:34 PM

The Yankee bought me the Da Vinci Code for a Christmas present and a small book on the paintings of Da Vinci so the reader can refer to what is going on in the book.
It really grabs you right away, doesn't it??
Love it so far, between packing , that is
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
JonJon

Interestingly, a few months ago when someone posted asking about good books to read on long flights I suggested The DaVinci Code and got booed off the site. Glad to see I am not alone in my enjoyment of this book. You might also read Holy Blood, Holy Grail which preceeded DaVinci by some years but the general theme is based on that previous writing. I just hope they hurry up and make the movie and can resist the temptation to cast Julia Roberts!!!

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:33 PM

I loved The Da Vinci Code. It was a fun read. Some people take it too seriously, and think Dan Brown is out to defame the Catholic Church. I thought it was facinating.

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:42 PM

I have read Da Vinci...also Angels and Demons...now into Deception. All fun reads...no big message...just fun to kill time with. Try em all and Dan Brown....keep em coming!
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:09 PM

Please keep the suggestions coming!

I read the DaVinci Code when it first came out. Wonderful read!

Also have read Girl with the Pearl Earring (Netherlands) - now made into a movie

Tapestries (Vietnam)

The God of Small Things (Kerala, India)

Inca Gold (South America, Mexico, US)

I'm trying to make time to read Beethoven's Hair

and

Living to Tell the Tale (Gabriel Garcia Marquez, as translated by Edith Grossman)

Happy page-turning!
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:34 PM

Loved the DaVinci Code - also can't stop recommending it. Can't wait to get back to Paris and see the inverted pyramid. I read parts of it at the computer so I could pull up the paintings referenced. This book makes you think whether you agree with the premises or not; it has spurred me on to more research on the Magdalene and the Knights Templar. That's what good reading should do.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 05:01 AM
jmw

I know there've been threads like this before, but I'm still running out of mysteries, procedurals, and thrillers set in fascinating places. More please. I just finished "Skeleton Dance" by Aaron Elkins because I was desperate. Hohum story set in the Dordogne. He did another one set near Mt.St.Michel which was a better, but the title escapes me. Oh maybe it was "Old Bones". Something like that-- they all deal with you guessed it. This is not much of a contribution, I know, but I hated to ask for more w/o giving back a little something. J.

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Not a thriller but a fun mystery taking place in the South of France is a book called Chasing Cezanne by Peter Mayle.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 09:11 AM

The Lady and the Unicorn, by Tracy Chevalier (Girl with the Pearl Earring) is also a good Paris (+Brussels) read. Next time in Paris, I plan to go back to the Cluny and take another look at the Unicorn tapestries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -