The City of London itinerary help

Old Dec 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The City of London itinerary help

Hello again,

Is it feasible and realistic to accomplish the Tower of London, the tower bridge experience, St Paul Cathedral and the Museum of London all in one day?

I understand that you need at least 3 or so hours for the tower of london. How much time do you need for the tower bridge experience?

St Paul you can spend as much or as little time as you would like so that is more subjective.

How much time do you need to cover the musuem of london diarama's about the history of london. Parts are closed now but expected to re-open in the spring.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM

No.

The Tower of London is enormous and has multiple sight/sections to visit - it need at least 4 hours - and getting in can take a while.

You can look AT St Paul's in 5 minutes - but if you want a complete tour, including the whispering gallery you need 2 hours.

The Museum of London is fascinating and I can;t imagine getting through in less than 3 hours.

Plus you will need time for lunch and at least one other stop (drink? ice cream?) for your feet.

Don't know what the tower bridge experience is - but if it's just going up to the top, looking around and coming back down-= perhaps an hour. If there's more to it - more time.

Looks like a day and a half to me even if you quick march - longer if you dawdle and enjoy.
But then, I'm a history buff and when I visit someplace I really want to see it - not glance around, take a few photos and move on.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 05:37 PM

No.
You can easily "do" the Tower and the Bridge Experience (which some will find overpriced; we used 2for1 vouchers and it was definitely worth it--the views are great!) in one day, ending up on the South Bank for a bit.

Then do St. Paul's (and Millineum Bridge and such) and the Museum of London on another day. We did these things, with some other City sights, in a long walking day.

I think the link below will take you to my trip report; see Days 8 and 11 for what we did.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-day-trips.cfm

The Tower and St. Paul's are in my top 5-6 things to see in London, but if you want to see those other things, too, you can't squeeze them all in one day.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

We are history buffs also. It seems like there is a lot to do at the tower of london and not sure how much time most people spend there. Wasn't sure how large the museum of london is and how much time is needed to see the presentation of the history of london at the museum.

I read mixed reviews on the tower bridge experience but thought the views could be nice depending on the weather.

Do most people allocate a day and a half to cover the city section? I read about the Bank of England museum and guildhall clock museum too which seem interesting but too little time to get it all in and hard to prioritize.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM

I think it's too much ground to cover in 1 day. You'll miss a lot of great things if you don't leave time to "dawdle". It's a big part of any trip....IMO.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Texasbookworm,

Wow! Thanks for forwarding your trip report of last year. It sounds like you had a great time. Happy 31st anniversary it must be now.

We are trying to cover so much in so little time but it looks like it all can't be crammed into a day. I will need to separate those items somehow but than means something else gets left off the to do list.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 06:29 PM

How long exactly do you actually have? I know you were asking about Oxford and Bath (and Paris, I think) so how long DO you have in London? And then, yes, you need to make a priority list GROUPED BY AREAS OF THE CITY so you're not backtracking. Then put 2-3 must sees at the top of the list each day, withe some other ideas, and see how weather, stamina, and relationships are holding up and go from there! With planning and being willing to start early, much can be done, but trying to do too much, especially with kids in tow, isn't fun for anybody. (Hard to factor in unexpected crowds or transporation glitches, how long meals take, the serendipidous side street or conversation, etc.)
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Yes I have been on the Paris threads and London threads. We are planning 4 days Paris and 9 days London with son and mother in law in tow. It will be our first trip to Europe and I am trying to plan but not overwhelm. I never did so much homework for any trip ever as I am now. Everyone is so helpful here.

The first London day is a travel day so not too much time left to see anything. Hoping to do Kings cross (platform 9 3/4) and british library that day maybe.

There is a lot to do in London proper so we decided based on the reviews of the other threads to do only one long day trip and that will be Oxford instead of Bath. Son wants to see sites from Harry Potter so Oxford wins out. We will skip Bath this time as it would require at least a full day and probably needs more to fully see it and appreciate the surroundings. Besides after traveling in from Paris, I think it would be too much traveling around even by train to do both Oxford and Bath and clearly now I understand we can't do those two in a single day.

So then I am planning the remaining days for London. We already know we want to spend a good part of a day in the British museum. I mentioned earlier that we want to see Kings cross and british library but can't combine that with british museum on travel day. No time to fit it all in and will have to separate them into separate days.

We also would like to see Hampton court and Windsor on different days which are full days in themselves. Any thoughts on those?

I also thought that we could see the city of London sites in one day but that does not seem possible either and should be split into two separate days. Don't forget we need time to see Westminster and all its sites. There is the national gallery and Kensington and V&A. The list goes on and on but the days are limited. Which to choose to do and which to leave out for another time?
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM

Oh, sounds nice. How old is your son again? While in the City he might like to peek into Leadenhall Market, where a scene from H.Potter movie was filmed. It's off Gracechurch Street a little uphill from the Monument. (not to add to your list)

golondon.about.com/od/londonpictures/ig/City-of-London-walking-tour/leadenhall2.htm

You can do Museum of London decent justice in a couple of hours.

If I had to choose between the V&A on a first time trip and the Nat'l Gallery, I'd choose the latter, at least to drop in while in the Westminster neighborhood. Trafalgar Sq. so much feels like the center of things.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 09:14 PM

What is this diorama you're so fascinated about?

There's a diorama at the Museum of London about the area's prehistory. It's probably the best visualisation of a city's prehistory I've ever seen anywhere - but the London area was mostly a few settlements off a tributary of the Rhine at the time, and while it's great fun to see what Heathrow looked like 10,000 years ago I really can't see it high on most peole's priorities. There used to be a diorama of the Great Fire, but that's not there (or at any rate not accessible) now.

You can spend an hour at the Museum of London, or all day - as at any museum. Unless you're seriously interested in the minutiae of London's history (I've no idea what a "history buff" is supposed to be), the Roman section is currently about the only bit most people would want to examine in depth: otherwise the museum's best for giving you a rapid overview of how the London agglomeration developed from the first Celts chucking things in the river just before the Romans turned up till about 1666.

It's still not clear when the extensions - which say they're going to deal with the story after 1666 - reopen.

As with any itinerary, how long you spend is down to you. The museum's free and about five mins' walk from St Paul's, so there's no commitment required in going to it - and little lost if you just allocate 20 minutes. The point about free museums (and the difference in attitude between Londoners and people from places that don't have such facilities) is that you can just pop in for 10 mins between doing other things.

The point about the Tower Bridge Experience, OTOH, is to let someone make money. There absolutely isn't any other point at all in squandering cash or time on it.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

We like diorama's that depict different periods of time and the description for the Museum of London sounded like that is what it does--diorama's prehistory, Roman period, great fire, stuart age, elizabethan age, victorian age, and so on. The period after great fire is suppose to open by spring 2010. It makes the history more interesting and less dry to view as a diorama. In Chicago, we went to a section of the art institute that showed different periods of time for France, England and the US in miniature rooms that were marvelous.

Any other Harry Potter sites we can visit on our own? Gringots bank is the Australian embassy--right? How do you get there?
Does the tower bridge experience only leave you off at the south side by south bank or can you double back to the north side? It maybe worth it for the view if it is a nice day, otherwise I agree to skip and just take the obligatory picture of the bridge from the ground.

Any other suggestions from locals Flanner, JanisJ, CW? What are "must sees" for a first time visitor and what can be saved for another visit or are just pure tourist traps like the tower bridge experience seems to be. But sometimes you do the tourist trap thing anyway if you can gain something from it like a good view.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 04:35 AM

Avoid the Tower Bridge Experience. It's a waste of time and money (and in any case seeing the bridge is the "experience".)

Also remember that if the Thames were in the USA it wouldn't be in the top 100 rivers - it's small by US standards - so don't fret about walking across it - it only takes 5 minutes.

If you're in that are and want a good view go up the OXO tower for lunch.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 04:36 AM

"Museum of London sounded like that is what it does"

It doesn't.

The prehistory diorama stops around 43 AD (as a young city, London has a thoroughly unEuropean definition of "prehistory"). The Fire one covered (from memory) 48 hours. Maybe a week.

That's it.

The post-1666 galleries that are opening next year are proper galleries: artefacts, explanations, stuff like that. If you regard that as "dry" - well, that's museums for you.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 04:38 AM

Always look at flanner's advice; he knows of what he speaks.

OTOH, we did enjoy the Tower Bridge Experience. We had so many free entries all of our days in London that this was one of the very few we had to pay for and so, especially with the 2for1 voucher, it was fine. My engineering husband liked seeing the machinery. We had no children with us, but there were lots of hands on, kid friendly things set up for them there. So, if it fits in your budget and time, it could be a cool thing.

Also, you can check on-line for bridge opening times. We arranged to be on the bridge when it lifted and got some great shots! Your son might find this fascinating (or not--you know your kid). Course, it might not fit into your schedule that day. You can see pretty well from the Tower or from the South Bank, too, but we enjoyed being on the bridge when the vessels glided under.

http://www.towerbridge.org.uk/TBE/EN/BridgeLiftTimes/

Also if you refer back to my trip report Day 11 you'll see the route we took to walk some Roman-ish and history sites around the City on the day when the main draws were ST. Paul's and the Museum (and that day we wound up in late afternoon, a bit earlier than usual, to rest our feet before we were off to the races (Literally!) the next day, so we didn't sightsee in the evening at all that day.) I really liked walking through Postman's Park on the way from St. Paul's to the Museum. Leadenhall Market looked cool but it wasn't "open" so early, but as a movie site just seeing it might be fine for your son.

If he also enjoys Narnia, please don't omit all the Lewis stuff in Oxford! That's a whole 'nother thread, though! Or something not important. (And Tolkien. And Lewis Carroll...)
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 04:56 AM

There's not much Roman stuff extant in London.

There's a Mithrain Temple outside Meryll Lynch (very underwhelming).

There's a small piece of the wall at Aldwych.

And the Arena is under the Guildhall (not often open to the public).

I'm not aware of anything else in the centre - although bits of the street plan echo the Roman city.

Basically the foundations of London are London. Each era builds on top of the last - which is how the Gherkin is in a stret called St Mary's Axe, The main street in the city is Cornmarket etc.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM

Just in case you don't know...London Walks offers great walking tours, and day train trips to the areas you want to see. All of you will find these tours interesting. Excellent guides.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so far to everyone.

Texasbookworm,
Where is the narnia thread? He does enjoy all the narnia movies and books.

CW,
Thanks for the info about how long it takes to cross the bridge. I didn't realize it would only be 5 minutes from the Tower Bridge. I read that the millenium bridge takes around 5 minutes but didn't know they are all relatively close to the other side.

Flanneruk,
Some museums are "dry" from my son's perspective. Diorama's are more fun for a child. As for us, we like the "dry" material because we have the patience to read through the descriptions but son does not share the same enthusiasm. You are right though since there is no fee you can spend as much or as little time as you like without wasting any money on the experience, but as a whole we should probably plan on dedicating at least 2 hours right?

Still undecided about the bridge experience. From your and CW posts, it sure sounds like a real money making tourist trap but per texasbookworm, the views are enticing. It will all depend on the weather that day. Son will definitely like being up on the bridge. Shame they have to charge for that though. He would also just appreciate seeing the bridge open so maybe we would just do that and check the schedule for that day.
What are the other "must sees" or "should avoid-not waste time or money"? For the "must sees" how much time do they take on average? Some examples, Hampton Court, Windsor, Cabinet war rooms.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 05:58 AM

Hampton Court, Windsor, Cabinet war rooms.>>>>

Hampton Court - can be done in half a day. You could make a day of it. Depends IMHO on the weather. I think the best bits are the gardens, so if you have the weather, then I think a boy would enjoy the maze.

Windsor - Castle half a day again depending on the weather your son might well like Eton which is one of Britains (indeed the world's) oldest schools and will give him a taste of a real-life hogwarts.

Pics here:
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

Don't get me started on these upstarts!

Cabinet war rooms - an hour maybe two. I would highly recommend them, especially to a young fellah being taught "history" in the american way.

BTW you mention Kensington, by which I assume you mean Kensington Palace which I think is pants.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 06:02 AM

Just in case you don't know...London Walks offers great walking tours, and day train trips to the areas you want to see. All of you will find these tours interesting. Excellent guides.>>>

And just to second this. They really are very good. They do all sorts (and I believe they do a Harry Potter tour).

Failing that; apart from the historic stuff they also do ghost walks and pub walks (check your son can go on them)
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I read a lot of great comments about London walks too. And their website is great too. I don't think they cover the film locations on the Harry potter walk because they are too spread apart but they do some magic tricks which may be fun anyway. The other walks all sound facinating. Which ones are the highly recommended ones?

Kensington--Palace, gardens, near south kensington museums and knightsbridge not too far away for Harrods but again can't all be accomplished in one day. So, what to definitely do and what to leave out for another time? I keep adding things to do rather than streamlining.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -