Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Carte Orange is dead! Long live the Carte Puce!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if it's not dead, it's on life support. According to this:

<b>http://ratp.fr/actualites/une/2717.shtml</b>

the Navigo will be phased in all over &Icirc;le-de-France (it is projected) by the fall. Evidently anyone with a Carte Orange can trade it in at an RATP ticket counter or retailer. It is not disclosed how those without a Carte Orange can get a Navigo.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:29 PM

I'm leaving in a week; will I still be able to purchase the &quot;old&quot; Carte Orange?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:44 AM

I've been <i>saying</i> !!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34526351

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34575726
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:46 AM

OK, very specific question regarding the article (since I don't read French this well):

We have Carte Orange ID cards, which we bring each time and reuse. Of course, it is necessary to buy a new ticket each time.

So when you say &quot;anyone with a Carte Orange can trade it in&quot; do you mean the Orange identification card, or do you mean an <u>active ticket</u>..?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

The article is not specific on that point. I imagine what will happen is that you will get a Navigo <i>and</i> a ticket, using the latter at un-automated stations until the changeover is complete. Each time you buy a ticket, your Navigo will be recharged to reflect the same purchase.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:56 AM

Well, we'll get educated once people start encountering this changeover at the billets window - bet there will be plenty of posts as autumn arrives...
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:38 PM

We just returned from Paris yesterday. We were able to buy weekly coupon, then another, for our Carte Orange cards we originally purchased nine years ago (did we look better!).

Locals told us that it is not really likely Carte Orange will go away anytime soon, despite what you read and hear, for several reasons - primarily &quot;the old folks will never give them up&quot;. Other reasons include an application form which is being met with great resisistance because it requires so much information.

It does not seem likely that &quot;anyone with a Carte Orange can trade it in at an RATP ticket counter or retailer&quot;, since you also need &quot; dossier d'inscription&quot; which is the application.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Curiouser and curiouser!

I SWEAR that page changed since I posted the link to it. I wasn't even quite sure of a couple of words, so I Babelfished it to be sure.

I Gaur-On-Tee there was no mention of that form in last night's version. The policy hasn't changed, just the announcement.
Old May 24th, 2005, 03:51 AM

Note also, when we purchased weekly coupons on May 11th, the clerk took out two brand new Carte Orange kits for us before we pulled out the ones we had already and showed them to her. So, apparently you can still purchase a Carte Orange pass. You do need a photo. You can trim down an extra passport photo or any 1x1 head shot will work.