the bugs [?] of Provence

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the bugs [?] of Provence

any biting insects to be concerned about in Provence? any reason to bring a mosquito net or deet?

I ask b/c about 5 years ago my SO and I stayed in a friend's house in Javea, a lovely town on Mediterranean coast of Spain - 1st night there we sat up reading well after dark, only to be "eaten alive" by flying, biting insects - mosquitoes maybe, maybe an indigenous Spanish variant - I'm a prime target, had itchy bites for 4-5 weeks afterwards, so I'm a little concerned.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 05:13 PM

We were in Provence last October, took a drive through the Camargue, got out of the car to take a walk, and were eaten alive by the mosquitos. They were the fiercest bloodsuckers I've ever encountered (and I have spent many a vacation in the Maine woods!).

No trouble whatsoever with bugs in any other part of Provence, though.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 09:30 AM

We haven't especially noticed bugs, but be aware that windows in Provence almost never have screens. I suspect that's because there's no great need, however.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Hi rogerb. We've encountered the odd mosquito in Provence. Like Underhill, we didn't find it too alarming.

I wish I could say the same thing about Auvergne, though. We were there a couple of weeks ago and something (a spider, we think) bit my wife on the arm. It was pretty messy and very painful.

Anselm
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:20 PM

There are mosquitoes here... but since we haven't had any rain in eons, they aren't too much of a problem, except in the Camargue. Mosquito repellants are sold in all pharmacies, so I wouldn't bother to pack any.

There are flies and gnats, but the only flies that bite are horse flies - if you happen to be somewhere near a farm.

We also have small scorpions - but they aren't poisonous and can run away from you faster than you can run from them. I doubt if you'll see them once the weather gets hotter.

Don't run your fingers through lavender bushes - there are spiders that live in the plants that can give a nasty bite. Easy to spot, they're bright yellow.

Watch out for wasps... those we seem to have in abundance (ground wasps, regular wasps, "frelons" - really big wasps).

All in all, not much different from other countries. Bugs are ubiquitous.

PB
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM

PB, we met one of those scorpions on the living room floor of a house we rented in Uzès a couple of years ago. I'm glad to hear they aren't poisonous.

Anselm
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 02:58 PM

The mosquitoes are vicious in Provence. My treatment is one of the ointments for lip sores and tooth ache which contain 20% benzocaine. Products are Oral-B, Ambesol, etc.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 04:40 PM

I didn't see any bugs -- and loved the open windows with shutters. However, sure wish you guys had warned me about the geckos! Apparently I thought they only lived in Hawaii.
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 05:56 PM

And the millipedes...
Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:43 PM

"And the millipedes..."

Ick. We watched one of those things commit suicide down the bathtub drain in Auvergne. Mind you, we may have helped it ...

Anselm
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 09:38 AM

Last week in Provence (in the Vaucluse), we spent a fair amount of time outdoors, and slept several nights with our windows open--I ended up with about 4 mosquito-like bites, but nothing terrible. A slight annoyance, but certainly nothing compared to a night in Venice that left me with over 50 bites!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 11:15 AM

In reference to the Maine woods...mmm...what were those big hairy "me man...make fire" types spreading on before they went hunting?
Avon's "Skin so soft"??? Must work I figured...and such a pleasant scent as well