Search

The Bourne Identity - Sites in the Movie

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bourne Identity - Sites in the Movie

http://www.murphsplace.com/owen/film...professor.html

This website indicates where some of the locations are specifically.

A couple of weeks ago I was watching the movie & it quickly flashed a scene in Paris of what I thought was the Place Marche St-Catherine in the Marais. I was right! It's listed on the website! Last April I stayed at the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc which is JUST around the corner from the square. Cool.
Old May 8th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Just bought this DVD, in anticipation of the new Bourne Supremacy movie coming out. While I enjoy the movie overall, how about some geographical or geopolitical "goofs" of this movie? Here are some I notice:

- From Imperia, Italy (where he got back on land) to Zurich, he should be connecting in Genova or Milan. Absolutely no reason why Bourne should be on a TGV.

- Switzerland is not EU, and not Schengen. He should need a passport getting in and out.

- While I have no problem with a movie production using Prague to stand in for Zurich, I notice that they emphasize the street cars by showing them many times in the movie. While they painted them in the correct colors, there's no way Zurich's street cars would look so old.

- Bourne told Chris Cooper's character to show up "in middle of Pont Neuf". Well, that's the right bridge, but Pont Neuf straddles the tip of Ile de la Cite, so that's a pretty ambiguous location.

Other than those, I think most of the movie do make geographical sense. For example, the meeting time in Paris is correct. After the farm scene which took place in the morning, Bourne arranged the Pont Neuf meet at 5:30pm. They clearly showed the Cooper character hurry to get on a plane at night in Washington, and that gaves him just enough time for a subsonic flight to Paris and get to center of the city.

Any particular goofs you see in this movie?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Theé's a film coming out called, "Synchronicity",( refers to the patterns of chance that have meaningful significance) that stars Charlene Theron and Penelope Cruzz. There's mention of a scene in the Luxenberg Gardens and a walk along the Seine.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 07:30 AM

Cool! Thanks Beatchick! We stayed in that area too so I'll have to be extra alert during the movie, I dont want to miss "our square"!
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

That's funny! I was just talking to a friend of mine not too long ago about the concept of synchronicity, Jung, Sting & the Police, the difference between synchronicity & serendipity!! And NOW there are movies with both words as titles. BEE-ZARRRE
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Hey Beatchick - I've seen a few posts that you've written about staying at the Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc, and I am also contemplating staying there when I am in Paris in February.

You said your room was very small but charming and I'm wondering if you stayed in one of the single rooms which they advertise as being very small (which they quoted to me for 57 euros) or if you "splurged" - it's all relative, right!?! - a bit for an actual double room (which they've given me a quote for 70 euros).

I'm trying to decide between the two and wondering just how small that "small" is. It will be my eighth trip to France so I'm aware that Parisian hotel rooms tend to be on the small side anyway, and just want to be sure I'm not stuck in a dark closet for a week. However, I don't mind small at all, as long as there is a bit of light and charm involved.

Thanks in advance to you or anybody else that can comment on my question!
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Hey LunaBella,

I asked for and paid for a single but they actually gave me a small double. For me, it was sufficient for my means. I didn't think it too small. Maybe you'll get lucky as well.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:20 AM

rkkwan: Are you a filmmaker? Because I've noticed that in your posts you have a really strong eye for details in movies. I am going to rent "The Bourne Identity" to psych myself up for Paris...

And thanks to The Divine Beatchick, I booked a room in Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in June.

By the way, has anyone stayed at Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the past couple of months? (Would love to hear some recent reviews.)

Cheers to All!
--Betty (NYC)
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Re Jeanne d'Arc, richardab stayed there a few months ago. He had a few issues and blogged about it (see if you can find his review by searching here).

I've never stayed there and have seen mostly good reviews.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 08:00 AM

beatchick:

I thought I was the only one who took special notice of the on-location scenes in Bourne Identity. A great deal of the film used Paris neighborhoods and sites as backdrops bringing a real European quality to the production. I submit that this film does a better job of reflecting a sense of Paris than just about any other I have witnessed recently (Ronin, Before Sunset). Like you, I was fascinated myself, particularly with the scene in which Bourne and the girl, after driving all night from Zurich, are on the banks of the Seine, across from Ile Saint Louis with Notre Dame in the background. My last trip in, I went right to that spot and snapped four or five pictures. When I returned, I was pleased to find that one my photos almost exactly duplicated those shots in the movie. The whole experience is re-lived everytime I see the movie.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 08:47 AM

bettyo70 - No, never made any film. Don't even use a camcorder myself, but I've editted a lot of travel video for my parents.

Anyways, I just love movies that make use of the location as major factor in movies. Just happens that I've been to Paris a few times, and two of my all-time favorite movies - the same that zola mentioned - Ronin and Before Sunset, are made in Paris too.

Next time I go to Europe, I'd like to go to Vienna and visit all the places in Before Sunrise.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:01 AM

I am very happy to say that the film ends on Mykonos. Our windmills are famous again.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Cigalechanta and Beatchick:

Re Synchronicity: I saw this movie and loved it. It has been renamed to "Head in the Clouds."
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:13 AM

craisin: I'm confused...Is the film you mentioned out in the theatres or is it already available on video/DVD?

I thought "Synchronicity" (aka "A Head in the Clouds&quot was not yet released.

Thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Hi betty, it was relased on dvd January 25th...I have not seen it yet either
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Thanks, Wednesday!

Another movie with a lot of Paris scenery is "The Truth About Charlie" starring Thandie Newton. However, I heard the movie itself "ain't the greatest"...
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Which train station were they parked at in Paris when Franka bought the liquor and the police discovered them? (I didn't see it referenced in Beatchick's link and it's been a while since I've seen the movie). thx.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Hi Betty,

I stayed three days at Hôtel Jeanne d'Arc in the Marais last September. We had a room with double bed on the 6th floor.

The room was clean, quiet, large enough (included a writing desk with table lamp). Great location on a back street, close to the charming Place Ste-Catherine. Good value for the price.

Ginny
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Ginny,

Thanks for your iompressions of GHJD in the Marais. I got a little nervous after reading that one bad review, but the good ones far outnumber the bad.

Are there any nice cafes you would recommend nearby the hotel for our morning coffee and chocolate croissant? (Miss Manon was mentioned previously.)

--Betty
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Oops...meant to say "impressions", not "iompressions"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -