Search

The best way to get to Dijon?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 07:21 AM
lol
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best way to get to Dijon?

I am still deciding between a guided tour to Giverny and Auvers sur Oise and a self-guided tour to Dijon. however by rail Dijon's trip is twice as expensive (250 Euros as opposed to 100 Euros with lunch for the guided tour).
I am interested in the scenery and getting a feel of the French countryisde as well as the food.
Are there any buses that go to Dijon?
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 07:32 AM

I paid under 40E for a 2nd class fare on the TGV rail for Paris Gare de Lyon to Dijon Central. It is a 1 hr 45 min ride. Try sncf.com for fares if your travel is within the next 60 days.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:36 AM
lol
Original Poster

hi invisible traveler
I checked the sncf.com site and you are right.
how does the booking process work.
from what I understand from the site is that you print the booking confirmation adn present it in the station. is that Right?
was the second class ride ok? any scenery?
can you share the experience of Dijon?
thanx
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Intrepid

I suspect the scenery you'll see from the train would be at least as good as any you'll see from a bus confined to a highway, and probably a superhighway at that. Since you may already know where the guided tour is going to go, what will be seen, etc., is there any possibility you could or would want to do the same things yourself, at your own pace???

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:02 AM

SNCF has a new pricing structure & online booking system that I have not tried. I typically buy my tickets at an SNCF office, sometimes far in advance but sometimes as I'm boarding. There are discounts for buying in advance, but impulsive buying works for me at times. As for scenary, you will pass through vineyards and farmland with some rolling hills. Dijon is easy to visit. Hop a bus just across the street from Dijon central station and ride up the hill into "downtown". An all day bus pass costs under 3 euro or so. See a museum or two and don't miss rubbing the owl at the church (check a Dijon guidebook for names of "must see" places). Have a casual lunch outside (~18 euro) or splurge for lunch at one of the gourmet places (~35 euro for a full meal). If Bresse chicken is available, don't hesitate to order it. Dijon is a photogenic town with lots of shops to explore--buy mustard, of course. Don't go on Sunday--too many shops are closed.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:27 AM
ira

Hi lol

>...
how does the booking process work.
from what I understand from the site is that you print the booking confirmation adn present it in the station. is that Right?<

Yes it is. You get an e-ticket. Make sure that you bring the same credit card that you used to book the ticket.

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 04:48 AM
lol
Original Poster

hi
Is it possible to combine Dijon and Beaune in one day?
I am thinking taking the train to Dijon and then taking bus to Beaune.
Is this doable.
When do shops and everything closes in Dijon, I am think of taking a late train 8:00 pm from Dijon.
Any comments?