The Best Venice Hotels...........

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Ike
Original Poster

The Best Venice Hotels...........

My wife and I are planning a cruise from Venice to Monte Carlo in 2009. I have never researched Venice hotels. Can you name the top 5 very best hotels in Venice. Thanks. $$$ is no problem.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:14 AM

What are your criteria? What features of a hotel are important to you to make it "best"?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM

You'd find alot of info at www.tripadvisor.com
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM

"Best" is a subjective term...may help if you elaborate on what "best" means.

But my favorite is Locanda Orseolo...and it's not to early to inquire about a reservation there.

If it's not fancy enough for you, check out their sister hotel, Hotel Al Ponte Antico.

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM

http://www.luxurytravel.com/director...ls/index.shtml

Evidently, these are good candidates for "very best, $$$no problem" -

Hotel Cipriani
Hotel Gritti Palace
Hotel Danieli
Westin Europa and Regina
Luna Hotel Baglioni
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Hotel Danieli has the best location and historic charm. I hope you do really mean $$$ is no problem because as of now rooms at the Danieli are $800 and up. If the dollar continues to fall you can probably add on another $100 by 2009.

We stayed there about 4 years ago with a guided tour of Italy, spent 2 nights there and were upgraded to a suite (most in the group were), very large and antique furnishings. Feels like you are in part of a movie as you will probably recognize it from movie scenes.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM

I'm with you, beanweb - loved LO - but somehow I don't think a small, personal B&B fits what Ike is looking for. Even their sister hotel is small.

What are you looking for, Ike?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM

4 years ago we stayed at the Westin Europa Regina. Beautiful hotel and restaurant on the canal. Close to St Marks. I think we had some Starwood points, so that lessened the damage.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Take a look at Foscari Palace. You don't say when you're going. If it's during high tourist season this hotel is just slightly off the heavy traffic area (yet steps from a boat stop). There were plenty of people out and about, but after dinner it was quieter than the central area. Yet it's only about 4 minutes' walk to Rialto Bridge.

The hotel is an old palace, totally remodeled on the inside. The rooms reminded us of some of the finest hotels we've stayed in here in the States. The bath was thoroughly modern and gorgeous. Our superior double had a balcony large enough for a patio table and chairs...it overlooked the quiet little piazza our front with side view of the canal.

There's a roof terrace. And a bar. To boot, they have a great breakfast including eggs-to-order. And a few times a week they host a "soiree" in the lobby: free champagne, canapes, chamber music...we loved it.

http://www.thegiannettihotelsgroup.c...mearrivare.asp
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Ike
Original Poster

Thanks for all the kind replys. I get enough small B & B type hotels traveling in the U. S. I'm looking for a Four Seasons/Ritz Carlton type hotel similar maybe to Westin Excelsior in Rome/Florence maybe. My wife loves a spa and we both like fine dining. We tend to enjoy a nice hotel lounge also. Thanks.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 09:22 AM

We stayed at the WE Florence, it was also gorgeous. Great location and huge rooms.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 04:16 PM

We stayed at the Luna Baglioni 2 years ago and found it to be 5 star all the way. Breakfast, service and location were wonderful.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 04:23 PM

I've never stayed here, but I hear it is one of the best.

Hotel Cipiani-

http://tinyurl.com/2bcuvb

Old Jun 18th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Sorry, I was typing too fast. The name of the hotel is Hotel Cipriani.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 07:18 PM

This is an interesting exercise and in reality brings up a small problem. Of the five hotels mentioned above (and those are the ones that would be on my list), from everything I have read and seen The Cipriani would probably be the best luxury hotel experience. I seems to frankly be in a class by itself. I have seen the Cipriani's mahogany motor launch pick up couples at the boat dock at the airport. You have to get lots of extra points for that! BUT and it's a big one, the hotel is on Guidecca. And while you have wonderful views of Venice from the hotel, it's not Venice really. So some minuses there.

Of the other four, the Luna is a bit landlocked. Well situated near San Marco but not on the water. So I think I'd eliminate it.

Of the other three, the Danieli has a nice spot front and center on the lagoon but there is a fairly wide expanse of pavement in front of the hotel and a rather busy section of walkway as well as vaporetto stops. Minuses there. The views from the rooftop bar are stunning but I have read complaints in some of the travel blogs that some the Danieli rooms are not what you would expect for 800 to 900+ USD per night. I've never been in one of them.

The Westin Europa and the Gritti are on the Grand Canal, A big plus. The Europa has a nice restaurant/bar that is on the canal, sit and watch the folks go by. It is close San Marco, but slightly off the main path.

The Gritti is a bit farther away but still well located and also has pluses in location.

So if you don't mind not being in Venice proper, the Cipriani. If you want to be a bit closer to the city then either the Europa or the Gritti Palace.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM

We love the Danieli - but it's VERY traditional - in feel, furniture etc. And you have to be comfortable with the usual city noises since it's very central. (I don;t get people who go to stay in a big city them complain about street noise. That's just part of the deal - for quiet you need to stay in the deep country (or in a brand new high rise with really soundproofed windows.)
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:07 PM

I appreciated your comparisons, notbob. Very good!

What about Ca Sagredo? I understand it's fairly new (in a old building)? I was recently researching the same subject and kept coming across this name.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Actually, if you are willing to pay the price, the Luna definitely has rooms which overlook the water....I know because I reserved one for November 2009 (dealing by e-mail DIRECTLY with the hotel) about two months ago.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Actually, if you are willing to pay the price, the Luna definitely has rooms which overlook the water....I know because I reserved one for November 2009 (dealing by e-mail DIRECTLY with the hotel) about two months ago.

You might also consider the Bauer, especially if you want to stay close to San Marco.
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 06:48 PM

I stayed at the Westin Europa and Regina and loved it. I felt like I was staying in a palace. I used points for the stay, and extra points to be upgraded. Huge room, Westin heavenly beds, huge bathroom with separate tub/shower. Near the main square, but in a quiet location. Here are some photos I scanned from their brochure:
http://travelswithdiane.homestead.co...03Venice6.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO