The BEST shopping in Basel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that people find shopping in Swtizerland expensive, and Basel is no different--with one major exception. There is one store we return to over and over for prices that would be shockingly low even in the U.S. (Remember, a franc is worth less than 1 $)

it's the Salvation Army Store, located half a block from the Dreispitz tram stop (number 10 or 11 tram).

The bargains you can find there are beyond astonishing, especially in china, pottery and glass. Every few weeks we pop out there to see what's come in and here is today's haul:

Four Royal Copenhagen Blue Flower Curved salad bowls, in absolutely perfect condition. Price paid: under 1 franc each. Price on the Royal Copenhagen online shop.: 158 euros EACH.
Medium and large Deruta Grazia green rooster bowls: 4 francs each
Winterling (Bavaria) service for 6--(6 dinner places, 8 salad plates, 6 cups and saucers), all in perfect condition: 15 francs total.
Various other kitchen items. Total spent: 40 francs.

This is a wonderful place to shop if you collect any kind of glassware or china. You never know what will show up. For beer and pastis glass collectors, it's mecca--hundreds of them and all costing about a franc each.

If you plan to go cycling in Switzerland, it's also a great place to pick up a bike helmet--I bought a brand new Giro helmet for 10 francs.

There are lots of Swiss-themed items--glasses, mugs, etc, skip the souvenir shops and shop here instead.

Happy bargain hunting!
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM

what great info! Thanks!
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
DAX

Thanks for your posting Passerine. I used to collect those beer shot glasses when I spent my summers in Basel during my college years. They have somehow disappeared. I'd like to recollect those since they represent a fun chapter of my life. Can you give me the exact location of the Salvation Army store? Is it along the Muenchensteinerstr, Walkeweg or Leimgrubenweg?
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Leimgrubenweg 9, 4053 Basel
first floor (European). Same building as the Dreispitz bowling alley. You can see it to your right when you get off at the Dreispitz tram stop (coming from central Basel).
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

http://tinyurl.com/mzjt2v
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:17 PM
DAX

Thanks so much Passerine!