Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The best places in Paris to sit, drink and write (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-best-places-in-paris-to-sit-drink-and-write-725727/)

slangevar Aug 1st, 2007 09:50 PM

The best places in Paris to sit, drink and write

Where in Paris would you go if you wanted to just sit for a few hours, drink coffee or wine, write, and maybe meet some interesting characters or watch the scenery or people?

Carlux Aug 1st, 2007 11:20 PM

Apart from cafes all over Paris, you might want to consider the Viaduc des Arts, near Gare de Lyon. And old viaduct that has been converted into shops on the bottom, between the arches, and gardens, cafes, benches, etc. on top, where the trains used to be. We found it restful, great views, and a different approach to seeing Paris.

fall06 Aug 1st, 2007 11:23 PM

Track down Passage St Anne in the 2d Arrondisement.

tod Aug 1st, 2007 11:23 PM

Slangevar your question got me thinking to all the Paris cafe`s I've ever sat at knocking back Kir Royal's, espresso's, beer & wine (not all at once mind you!).

I recall sitting many times at various cafe`s in the Place du Tertre way up in Montmartre watching the artists "accosting" the tourists with their sales pitch and seeing who fell for a portrait sketch. I love the busy atmosphere but after awhile wondered down the hill along rue Lepic stopping off at Lux Bar for another espresso.

Looking at old receipts (kept for sentimental reasons) I came across one for Cafe Petit Pont which is on the corner of Quai Du Montebello at Place du Petit Pont. You look straight across at the the amazing Notre Dame. I find that location even more exciting at night.

Another favourite, but much quieter cafe, is Le Chaland, 163 Quai de Valmy.
Although the tiny little cafe is always busy inside, you can sit on the sidewalk and gaze at the peaceful Canal Saint Martin with an occasional pleasure boat passing.

Another lovely location is the cafe looking at Saint Sulpice (sorry the name escapes me).
My last two are Le Conti on a busy corner down Rue de Buci and Cafe Des Phares, 7 Place de La Bastille which looks directly at Colonne de Juillet.

Hope you get many more suggestions!

ira Aug 2nd, 2007 04:39 AM

>..Another lovely location is the cafe looking at Saint Sulpice...

It's the cafe de la Mairie at 8 Pl St. Sulpice.

It gets crowded during evening rush hour.

((I))

Michel_Paris Aug 2nd, 2007 05:57 AM

Some places I have seen/tried...I like Cafe Hugo at Place des Vosges, Brasserie de L'Ile St Louis, patio by Comedie Francaise,the square around Palais Royal, and if you walk along Left Bank, on street by the Seine, walking eastwards, there are plenty of restaurants/cafes with patios. I like Le Montebello. There is also the cafe on place de la Bastille that was mentioned previously. I also went a few times to the cafe/patio that is on Ile de la Cite in front of the Palais de la Justice as you walk towards Notre Dame. And another is Cafe Bonaparte, on the square by St Germain des Pres church. Good croques monsieurs.

Last time, I stayed in the 16th and went to my local cafe near my hotel...just local residents coming in for morning coffee, little old ladies, business men, workers...I had my coffee, croissant, OJ and read the local newspaper before starting my day. A nice slice of local life that I enjoyed.

samsmom1127 Aug 2nd, 2007 06:19 AM

saving

RonZ Aug 2nd, 2007 06:22 AM

ttt

hopingtotravel Aug 2nd, 2007 11:02 AM

ttt

slangevar Aug 2nd, 2007 11:09 AM

Thank you all so much for sharing your suggestions! I'll be there for a month, so I plan to try each and every one.

tod, thank you so much for pulling out old receipts and taking me down memory lane! I'm glad this gave you a chance to take a mini-memory vacation. :-)

tod Aug 3rd, 2007 08:25 AM

My pleasure slangevar - Your name in our part of the world means "Snake Danger"??
If you are in Paris for a whole month then DO please go and hang out at Le Vin Sobre, 25 Rue Feuillantines, 75005. (Near Val de Grace). I have not been here yet but it's high on my list for 2008 and if you surf their website you can see the cafe` and the glorious food!

Wanting some good but cheap dinner? A fellow Fodorites I met up with took two of us to Restaurant L'Insulaire, 16 Rue Gregoire de Tours. Busy neighborhood so get there early or very late.

Another Bistro off the beaten track but just FAB is Le Bistrot Du Peintre, corner Avenue Ledru Rollin & Rue de Charonne. Best Tart Tatin I've ever eaten!

The owner of Le Chaland is Francois Peillon and he collects antique Soda Syphon bottles.

Now, you have to get back to us with all YOUR secret finds OK??

kerouac Aug 3rd, 2007 09:53 AM

I could give 50 addresses, but I will give just one: the MK2 at 14 quai de la Seine in the 19th arrondissement. Tables directly on the bassin de la Villette, with its bicycles, boaters, joggers going by, as well as the little cinema ferryboat going back and forth across the water.

It's the place on the "blue" side of the photo on this link: http://www.mk2.com/sallescinema-5-mk2quaideseine.html

luvparee Aug 3rd, 2007 10:03 AM

Last summer some of our group spent several hours on the Kiosque Flottant which is docked on the south side and across the Seine from Notre Dame. It is a barge turned bar/cafe and we so totally enjoyed just sitting there drinking wine and talking and watching people stroll the quais and all the boats going up and down the Seine.

Love this thread!

Enjoy!

joy/luvparee

lpsmith Aug 3rd, 2007 10:13 AM

bookmarking-thaks!

Roger_Lisa Aug 3rd, 2007 10:29 AM

Wonderful suggestions. Looking forward to more so I can print out this thread.

SAnParis Aug 3rd, 2007 10:42 AM

I really like hanging out in Montmartre, right on the square w/some mussles, frites & a good btl. of wine & people watch. A little loud to write, though. Just find a spot along the Seine, for that.

kenav Aug 3rd, 2007 11:32 AM

ttt

slangevar Aug 3rd, 2007 02:51 PM

More great ideas!

Kerouac - if you happen to have that list of 50 ideas on hand, I would gladly take it. I'm up for some exploring in Paris!

Tod - thank you SO much for the inexpensive food idea! I'm definitely also looking for those if you have any others. I almost want to find a Soda Syphon bottle to bring to Francoise so he can see that all Americans aren't bad. :-)

Yes - I'll absolutely post my secret finds after I finish my trip. I'm hoping to copy another poster in creating a Google map of all of the places I eat (fingers crossed).

And I love "Snake Danger!" That's a much more exciting name than "the phonetic spelling of the Gaelic 'Slainte Mhor' toast." :-)

tod Aug 3rd, 2007 10:51 PM

slangevar - If anyone on this board knows Paris backwards, forwards and upside down it's Kerouac as he lives there - lucky buggar!
Funny you should mention taking Francois an old syphon bottle as I have sent him two and brought him another my last trip! He is such a lovely man.
Have you thought of wandering around Paris on PagesJaunes PhotosdeVilles?
You can see all the places suggested and come across many more as you click your way down little alleys and big boulevards!

Just thought of one more place - a little cafe situated on the slanting steps of Rue Des Barres looking at the walls of the St.Gervais St.Protais church.

Of course you will have to also do Deux Margots & Cafe de Flores on busy Blvd St. Germain!

slangevar Aug 4th, 2007 04:30 PM

Tod - you are totally making my trip! Thank you SO much for going to the trouble of sharing these fantastic finds... I can't wait to explore them all.

And no - I've never heard of PagesJaunes PhotosdeVilles, so I'll check that out now!

Thanks again - you are my Paris hero!