Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The BEST Place To Go In March (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-best-place-to-go-in-march-221883/)

Norma May 17th, 2002 12:05 PM

The BEST Place To Go In March

My boyfriend is offering to take us anywhere in Europe next March as a birthday present. If you could pick the best place to go for the least expensive vacation and the best possible weather in Europe, where would YOU go?

Jen May 17th, 2002 12:17 PM

If you want good weather in Europe in March, you'll have to go pretty far south, like Italy or Greece. As long as you don't spend too much time in major cities in Italy, it should be fairly economical, especially since you'll be traveling in a shoulder season.

Dawn May 17th, 2002 12:19 PM

Greece and/or Turkey

jane May 17th, 2002 12:59 PM

Spain will also be very nice at that time of year. Especially Southern Spain.

tania May 18th, 2002 07:42 AM

Having spent three weeks total in Italy in March, it comes highly recommended. Venice is hit and miss with the weather but doable.<BR><BR>Florence, Rome and Naples had spring-like weather. Flowering trees... Bring an umbrella at all times though.<BR><BR>Because of the weather, sightseeing is comfortable and crowds are lesser. There are still lines at the Uffizi in Florence and the Vatican.<BR><BR>I would definitely go back in March.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR May 18th, 2002 08:29 AM

Potugal and Andalusia--I have done it twice. That is where the rest of Europe comes to shoot films in March because of the light.

Marcy May 18th, 2002 09:05 AM

Italy is expensive. Try Greece, and/or Turkey or Southern Spain. You can even rent a boat in Turkey and tour the turqoise coast--its not expensive. Probably find information using Google and type in Turkey, tours or Turkey, tour operators.

Sheila May 18th, 2002 09:49 AM

Definitely Greece or Cyprus. propbably Cyprus for cheap.Try Paphos

Barry May 18th, 2002 09:59 AM

Barcelona!<BR><BR>We have been to Barcelona 3 times in March and the weather has always been wonderful that time of year. The airfares usually change around March 20th so we just take how ever many days we want to stay and "back up" from the 20th. Don't buy your tickets till October or November though... that is when they are the cheapest. The best price we have gotten out of ATL to Barcelona is $309 rt......<BR><BR>Then again...we were in Budapest and Praha this past March and the "weather gods" smiled on us with beautiful bright sunny warm days ... but I think that was the exception! Spain and Portugal are better bets in March. Actually, we got downright hot in Portugal in March a few years ago!

Maddy May 18th, 2002 04:03 PM

Another vote for Portugal and/or Southern Spain. We were there mid-late March and had lots of sunshine and temps in the mid-70's to low 80's in Seville and Lisbon. Perfect touring weather. Portugal is very reasonable, has great food, and nice people. For the best weather I'd plan to visit around Lisbon and south of there. <BR><BR>Southern Spain was also enjoyable but don't plan on warm weather if you head up around Madrid - it was cool (cold at night)and rainy.

steve May 19th, 2002 08:11 AM

Went to England and Ireland in March and had decent weather - as good as i have had in England in summer

Ruth May 19th, 2002 09:13 AM

I think if you are looking for "the best possible weather" I would not advise the UK or Ireland in March, beautiful though they can be.

Norma May 20th, 2002 07:07 AM

Your replies all were very helpful. Thanks! I guess we hadn't thought too much about Spain or Portugal, but that might be the direction we start looking. Our time is limited, so Greece and Turkey might be too far.<BR><BR>These ideas are great and give us a good base to start planning from.

Also wondering May 20th, 2002 02:08 PM

What about Malta? or Sicily? Would two weeks be too much in either one? Experts???