Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Best Place I Know in Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-best-place-i-know-in-europe-65988/)

Helio Freitas Mar 21st, 2000 10:50 AM

The Best Place I Know in Europe

I traveled in a lot of countries in Western Europe, and I had never heard or read about the place I found the most beautiful: Halstatt, Austria (even if I don´t like their new government), a lakeside village surrounded with big mountains. Is there anyone in the world who agrees with me? <BR>In your opinion, what is the most beautiful place in Europe (big cities aside)? Of course, I´m aware that this is a strictly personal choice. <BR>Hélio <BR>

Dave Mar 21st, 2000 11:20 AM

If you want to see some beautiful pictures of the English Lake District, take a look at these websites (not mine, unfortunately, I just came across them as I was browsing). <BR> <BR>"www.geocities.com/Yosemite/1015/ldarc.htm" <BR>"ldnet.users.netlink.co.uk" <BR> <BR>One of the first things I plan to do when my Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes entry pays off is spend a couple of months walking about the Lake District. (Actually, the first thing I do will be to buy a really sturdy raincoat, THEN I'll go walking in the LD:) <BR>

Carl Mar 21st, 2000 11:26 AM

Do you know Moraine Lake, in the Canadian Rockies? I think you would like it very much.

lola Mar 21st, 2000 12:00 PM

For me it would be either the Norwegian fjords in late springtime when the cherry blossoms are in bloom, reflecting in the still water like a mirror image. Or the Amalfi coast, from Positano through to Amalfi, anytime. Or some of the small, almost uninhabited Greek islands in May, when they are carpeted in wildflowers.

Bob Brown Mar 21st, 2000 12:12 PM

Moraine Lake is beautiful. So is Lake Louise. So are a jillion other places. <BR>The beauty, however, is very fragile, and much of it depends on the angle. <BR>Moraine Lake for example is best seen looking west. If you walk to the western end of the lake and look east, the scene is not nearly as beautiful. <BR>So this is a judgment question; and beauty not only depends on the eye of the beholder, it also is dependent on the angle of view.

sabrina Mar 21st, 2000 01:46 PM

The top of the Eiffel Tower at sunset in early September, the air cooled from a light rain.

April Mar 21st, 2000 10:25 PM

The eye, the angle and, sometimes, the time of day.

Diane Moll Mar 22nd, 2000 03:32 PM

I too would agree that Hallstatt, Austria is a very beautiful place, we have been there twice. Most recently we visited Lake Morraine in Canada and thought that was very beautiful as well. Another favorite is Melk, Austria with its magnificent abbey. Brugge, Belgium is still one of our favorite places in Europe, although we plan to spend two weeks in Switzerland in May. Vienna, Austria still wins my vote for favorite big city.

ofelia Aug 9th, 2000 08:32 AM

<BR> <BR>to the top

SharonM Aug 9th, 2000 08:44 AM

I was in Badgastein, Austria one December and thought it so beautiful! It was a snowy little village nestled in a valley in the mountains

RT Apr 25th, 2002 08:27 PM

Hallstatt Austria, amen. Disney could not have created a more utterly charming setting. An absolute idyll.

bettyk Apr 26th, 2002 11:29 AM

Yes, we will be visiting Hallstatt for the second time in a few weeks. I can't hardly wait. I too thought it was one of the most beautiful places in Europe but Europe is full of many beautiful places. That's why I keep going back!

amy Apr 26th, 2002 11:44 AM

Thank you, Helio, for adding something to my "Must Visit" list. Lake Louise is on my list; so is Norway. I feel lucky that we got to see the Bernese Oberland of Switzerland. <BR><BR>In the US, I still marvel at the Tetons. We've gone year after year, and I'm still compelled to take the same basic photos again and again.

FrauB Apr 26th, 2002 02:00 PM

Anywhere along the Italian Riviera!

Betsy Apr 26th, 2002 02:05 PM

Gimmelwald, Switzerland, or any place along the ridge of the Berner Oberland Alps.<BR><BR>The Eiffel Tower at Sunset<BR><BR>Venice early in the morning before anyone else is up<BR><BR>The Tortured Valley out of Skagway, Alaska.