Reload this Page >

The best of Paris?

Search

The best of Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 07:44 AM
wendy

The best of Paris?

If you could recommend the top ten spots of Paris, (beyond the monuments), for bistros, restaurants, cheese/bread/chocolat shops and outdoor markets, to truly have a 'taste' of Paris, what would they be and why? <BR>Merci.... <BR>Wendy

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 03:34 PM
marianne

Best Bistros-L'alcazar, L'epi Dupin, Rotisserie D'en Face <BR> <BR>Best Chocolate- Renee Astrid, organic farm markert on Boulevard Raspail on Sunday

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Bob Brown

Oh man yes, that farmers market on Boulevard Raspail, set up near the intersection with Rue de Rennes is wonderful. I am not a market person, but even I got detoured from going to <BR>Musee d'Orsay by that one. Gorgeous fruits and vegtables. Too bad we were staying in a hotel and could not buy some and take them to a place where we could cook them. <BR>As for the ten top spots, none of us will have the same top ten. <BR>If you like art, then Musee d'Orsay is a must. If you don't like art, then why bother?? <BR>If you like opera, then the Opera Bastille is a must. If you don't like it, then again, why bother? <BR>I strongly suggest getting a copy of the Michelin Green Guide and pick your own top ten.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Judy

Hi Wendy, we love Rotisserie Beaujolais in the 5th. Has the best coq au vin in the world(at least according to my husband) and also a very respectable list of beaujolais(which I love). <BR> The Luxembourg Gardens were my favorite place for Parisian "flavor" people, gardens and the general "good" life...I would love to back there soon(like tomorrow). Judy

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Tracy

Judy - can you provide an address for the Rotisserie Boujoulais? Do they have a website? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Tracy

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Judy

Tracy: Here is the address of Rotisserie du Beaujolais, 19 Quai de la Tournelle open for lunch 12:00 -2;30 dinner 7:30 -11:00 Tues-Sunday,,,,last I looked in my Paris Eyewitness guidebook. It is owned by Claude Terrail, owner of La Tour d'Argent. <BR>Ask for the table overlooking the Seine, next time we go, I will request it. Judy

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 03:11 AM
wendy

Thank you for your posts! <BR> <BR>I know the Michelin guides very well and do have my favorite top ten places, but I am asking for 'your' personal favorites for these places, i.e. the best onion soup you have eaten in Paris, etc... <BR> <BR>Anyone else have some favorites they'd like to share? <BR> <BR>Wendy <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 03:23 AM
dana

Angelina's has the best hot chocolate. They are on Rue de Rivoli close to the Louvre. I went there because I had read so many great things about the place on this site, so you can do a search and find out the whole address. Don't miss it!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 03:53 AM
wendy

Good choice, Angelina's IS lovely! Would you say that they are the best to visit versus Laduree? <BR> <BR>Merci! <BR>Wendy <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:25 AM
jody

I think the best outdoor flea market if you are into antiques and junque is Porte de Vanves, Sat and sun from about 8 am, but go early <BR>, and take a flashlight! I think Marche de Puce is too big , too pricey and too touristy and OVER CROWDED! <BR>I agree with one of the other responses Potisserie d'un face on Rue Christine is very good, great guinea hen and a wonderful dessert , Vacherin. Beaujolis is also extremely good. A frequently overlooked museum is the Musee de Cluny,we had made 6 trips to Paris before we discovered it on the recommendation of a fellow hotel guest. It has a wonderful collection of Medieval arts and crafts and is housed in a wonderful building, it;s on Place paul Painleve.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Judy

Jody: I love the Musee de Cluny too! Picked up 6 tapestry pillows there in their gift shop, based on the Lady and the Unicorn(my fav tapestry, and I love tapestries. <BR>Also wanted to give the best dessert to Les Bouchons de Henri Clerc....chocolate BLISS....yummmm. <BR>Judy

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Roy Corbett

The best onion soup can be consumed at L'Entercote Rue de Verneuil close to Musse d'Orsay. In fact our dinner there was a culinary delight from start to finish

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 02:19 PM
marianne

It's Rotisserie D'en Face on rue christine.