Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The best home base for exploring Aeolian Islands? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-best-home-base-for-exploring-aeolian-islands-401304/)

bettyo70 Feb 19th, 2004 06:30 PM

The best home base for exploring Aeolian Islands?

For everyone who has enjoyed their stay in the Aeolian Islands: where should I make my base when I go this coming May (2004)? Lipari? I know I definitely want to see Stromboli's lava flow at night (by boat and maybe also by hiking up the crater at night) Should I stay in Stromboli or will that be too boring? Any recommendations of hotels? Does Lipari have more of a night life than the others? THANKS!!!!!!!!

Patrick Feb 19th, 2004 07:25 PM

We stayed in Lipari and loved it. We visited most of the other islands. Frankly, I think Stromboli would be boring after about an hour. We did an all day trip from Lipari to Panarea where we had lunch on our own and a couple hours to explore that island, then we went on to Stromboli, for more time on our own. We left there by boat at sunset and stayed close off shore as it got dark to see the explosions of Stromboli and returned to Lipari about 11 PM. Great way to spend a day. Others stayed on Stromboli to hike up to the top, and a boat brought them back to Lipari sometime after midnight. We did another day trip by boat to Filcudi and Alicudi which was fun. We went to Vulcano, and I wouldn't stay there -- too smelly.
Lipari has the best assortment of restaurants and things to do, including tons of options on the boat trips to all the other islands.

GAC Feb 20th, 2004 06:50 AM

Bettyo: Lipari Town is your best bet, particularly in May, when the other islands will be very "light" in tourists. Lipari is the only real "town" in the Archipelago. You'll get bored anywhere else (unless you're specifically seeking solitude). Lipari has some night life, although May is still early in the season, so don't expect a great deal. (I think May is a great time to go, as the weather is usually good, and hotel rates are much lower than later in July/August. Also, the islands are not overrun with tourists, and you'll get a more realistic picture of life on the islands).

Lipari Town has a good assortment of hotels and furnished rooms, ranging widely in price. The most expensive hotel is Villa Meligunis, about 300 yards from the hydrofoil dock. The most scenic hotel is the Carasco, about 1 kilometer away (I've posted on the Carasco elsewhere in this site). There are also several very inexpensive furnished rooms within short walking distance of both the hydrofoil dock (Marina Corta) and the ferry dock (Marina Lunga). I am familiar with the location of many of the hotels.

There are numerous restaurants, all within easy walking distance of the hotels and rooms. Some of the larger hotels also offer half board (optional in May, sometimes mandatory in July/August).

Be sure to take the ferry boat to see the outlying islands. (I prefer the ferry to the hydrofoil because of the ferry's open top deck, wonderful for gazing and filming). In particular, don't miss Stromboli, Panarea and Salina (parts of the movie "Il Postino" were filmed on Pollara Beach on the island of Salina). Renting a motor scooter is the best way to see Lipari and Salina, although there are regular buses as well. Filicudi is also reputed to be very beautiful. The Archeological Museum in Lipari Town is spellbounding.

You have the choice of taking the regular ferries and hydrofoils, joining a private boat tour, hiring a local fisherman with a boat, or renting a boat yourself. Taxi drivers will also offer to take you on a sightseeing tour of Lipari. The local bus company (Urso) runs two bus lines which nearly circle the island (clockwise to Quattropani and counterclockwise to Acquacalda), and departures are hourly from the gas station in Lipari Town. Taking these two short bus rides is worthwhile even if you decide to rent a motor scooter.

You can see all the islands in one week. You need two full days for Lipari alone.

GeoffHamer Feb 20th, 2004 07:02 AM

Lipari is certainly the best base. There are good services to the other islands if the weather is fine, and the island is big enough (with a museum and lots of restaurants) if you are stranded there as I was once. As well as the ferries and hydrofoils to the other islands, there are several local excursion boats - try www.lacavanavigazione.it and www.navigazioneregina.it.
The lava flows from Stromboli are on the other side of the island from the village and ferry quay - you need to walk around the island or go on a boat trip to see the nocternal lava flows.

SPQR Feb 20th, 2004 08:25 AM

access to the crater on Stromboli is or at least was prohibited after an increase in volcanic activity in late 2002. The restrictions are still listed on this webpage - but I have no idea whether the information is current. http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/beso...e_pagina_1.pdf
I was in Lipari in late May last year and the weather was wonderful. However, it was windy and this prevented a number of the boats from operating - including the night boat to view Stromboli.

bettyo70 Feb 21st, 2004 06:46 AM

Thanks, guys, fo all the info. You're the best!