Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Best Fish & Chips in London??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-best-fish-and-chips-in-london-199899/)

George Oct 26th, 2001 02:52 PM

The Best Fish & Chips in London???

I'm looking for the best Fish & Chips in London. Any recommendations? <BR> <BR>This has actually become a lifelong study. I've been to London twice so far and tried several favorites including Geale's, Rock & Sole Plaice and many of the pubs. <BR> <BR>My two worldwide favorites to date have been Leo Burdock's in Dublin (especially the salmon) and Elephant & Castle in Toronto (done with halibut). <BR> <BR>We're going to London again in January. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rich Oct 26th, 2001 03:14 PM

<BR> <BR>Well . . Geales get my vote for the best in London, SeaShells, at Lisson Grove, is a close second. . try to get to both when ever I find myself in London. <BR> <BR>The Haddock is my favorite in either place. <BR> <BR>Enjoy . . I may be there in late January myself! <BR> <BR>Rich

Pat Oct 26th, 2001 06:51 PM

Hi George, <BR>My vote is for the Sea Shell on Lisson Grove also. It is just around the corner from Marylebone Station. The line of taxis around the Sea Shell attest to the best F & C in London. The cabbies know where to go. I also like the North Sea Restaurant. I believe it is on Leigh St. near Bloomsbury. <BR>I went to Geale's and the service was so slow that I paid for my soda and left after 30 minutes. So, I never got a chance to try their F & C. The mgr was very apologetic but it left me with a bad impression. <BR>Enjoy London.

anniel Oct 27th, 2001 08:59 AM

Rich and Pat, how long ago was it that you ate at the Sea Shell?. We drove down there after not visiting for years and the one we knew was closed...it was on a corner and was a favoutite of Prince Charles among others who used it. I have eaten at the North Star in Leigh Street and always enjoy the haddock.

Bruce Hayes Oct 27th, 2001 10:03 AM

Another vote for the Sea Shell on Lisson Grove. My wife and I ate there last September and had a great time. Loved the spotted dick for dessert!

Anniel Oct 27th, 2001 10:35 AM

Bruce.by Spetember do you mean last month...if so I will go looking in Lisson Grove again.

isobel Oct 27th, 2001 11:02 AM

George: The best fish and chip shop in London is the Upper St. Fish Shop, at 324 Upper St., Islington NW1 <BR>Tel: (area code has recently changed and I don't know it), local # is 359-1401). Tube: Angel <BR>Any passerby can point you to Upper St.. The fish is crisp (I found Sea Shell to be a bit greasy) and very fresh. Try the plaice - a flounder-like fish, which is hard to find here, at least where I live. <BR>This restaurant isn't fancy, but it isn't cheap either. I don't mind spending 8 pounds (well, yes, I do a bit) on good food and happily go back time and again when I'm in London. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you try Upper St. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR>Isobel

Patrick Oct 27th, 2001 01:05 PM

Another thumbs down for Geales'. Not only was the service slow as mentioned above, but our fish was stone cold, rather overcooked and dry, and the chips were terribly greasy and soggy. We found it the most disappointing fish and chips we've ever had in London, and couldn't imagine why it was so highly recommended.

Rich Oct 27th, 2001 02:36 PM

<BR> <BR>Say it ain't so . . a bad report on Geale's? ? I'll have to try it again to beleive it. Actually, it did change hands about two yeas ago (I think), but the last time I went (Nov 2000) it was as good as it was when I lived there in the 80's. <BR> <BR>Ate at Sea Shell last month . . was there on a Monday an Geale's is closed Mondays so went to Sea Shell. It was open then. <BR> <BR>There used to be a place called the Golden Hind, that was as good a frying shop as there was, but it also changed hands and the last time I ate there it was not good at all. <BR> <BR>It would be a shame if Geale's has followed suite. <BR> <BR>Rich

George Oct 28th, 2001 02:30 AM

I visited Geale's in August and it was very good. I think any bad experiences were definitely the exception.

Jayne Oct 29th, 2001 02:49 PM

Apparently this place has won awards? <BR> <BR>Has any been here? <BR> <BR>Olley's <BR>67-69 Norwood Road SE24 <BR>020 8671 8259 <BR> <BR>London Evening Standard Review <BR>http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/html/f...op_direct.html <BR> <BR>&lt;Look for Ollies at the bottom&gt; <BR> <BR>