Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   The Best Croque Madame in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-best-croque-madame-in-paris-902968/)

Gekko Aug 16th, 2011 04:50 PM

The Best Croque Madame in Paris?

I'm searching for the absolute <i>best</i> croque madame in central Paris.

Why? Because my beautiful wife would like to have it on her birthday.

Thank you!

nukesafe Aug 16th, 2011 05:00 PM

Not trying to be cute just because I don't like raw eggs, but is Salmonella not a problem in France? Seriously, one seldom sees under cooked eggs in American restaurants these days, and I wonder if eggs are handled/treated differently in Europe to minimize the danger of gastric upsets.

AnthonyGA Aug 16th, 2011 05:11 PM

No, salmonella is not a problem in France. Salmonella is a problem when food is contaminated at some point during its handling; it's not an intrinsic problem with raw foods.

madamtrashheap Aug 16th, 2011 07:16 PM

In the last few years there have been reports on salmonella in eggs in Spain, hence the widespreaad use of powdered eggs in tortilla production now. There have been quite a few documented cases, particularly 2009 and 2010, of Spainish-origin eggs having the salmonella pathogen and causing issues, but this seems to point to the strage/transport of eggs during Summer particularly. France seems to have no such problem.

Back to the original question! A delightful Croque Madame (and Croque Monsieur for that matter) can be found at:
Le Vauban - just opposite the Eglise du Dome; great decor, great food.
Cafe Marly - on the terrace at Musee du Louvre; great views and a very swish way to enjoy a Croque Madame
Le Solferino - on corner of Blvd St-Germain and Rue de Solferino; simple bisto with unfussy but good food.
Esmeralda - opposite the flying butresses of the Notre Dame, at the end of Rue du Cloitre Notre Dame; small bistro with good view and solid food, but nothing fancy.
And just about any little bistro tucked away in Paris will do a decent Croque Madame - just follow your nose.
I hope you take your wife somewhere lovely for a lunch of Croque Madame and champagne!

ruedebuci Aug 16th, 2011 10:59 PM

Another vote for Cafe Marly.

ira Aug 17th, 2011 03:15 AM

Hi G,

I'm sure that if you arranged in advance any of the following restaurants would make your wife a memorable Croque Madam.

http://www.paris-best-restaurants.co...estaurants.php

Be sure to consult the sommelier ahead of time about the proper wines.

((I))

adrienne Aug 17th, 2011 05:06 AM

<< I don't like raw eggs >>

The egg is cooked sunny side up. I've had eggs like this on salads and it was delicious.

I second the Esmeralda suggestion. I was surprised that the food was surprisingly good being so close to Notre Dame and all the souvenir shops.

Another place is at the bottom of Rue Mouffetard - the Cave de Bourgogne.

oakglen Aug 17th, 2011 06:07 AM

Chez Flottes has four kinds, my favorite is the Croque Imperial, and M.E. favors the Croque Provencal (no meat). A side of fries and pichet of vin; a fine and cheap repast.

nwtraveler Aug 17th, 2011 06:44 AM

Bookmarking

Scootoir Aug 17th, 2011 06:57 AM

Also bookmarking. Don't usually seek out specific restaurants while traveling but I do love Croque M.

danon Aug 17th, 2011 08:15 AM

I was also surprised how good Croque Monsieur ( my preferred Croque) was at Esmeralda . We almost did not stop there ..a "touristy location". Well, I am still to find better.

spaarne Aug 17th, 2011 08:30 AM

Not bad at Cafe du Metro at Place Maubert. I really don't see how any chef could screw this up.

A very similar item is available in many Dutch bars. It is called an uitsmijter up there. It's a cheap high protein lunch.

Gekko Aug 17th, 2011 07:30 PM

Thank you everyone! So many great suggestions despite the misplaced worry about eggs.

StCirq Aug 17th, 2011 07:48 PM

How lucky for you that your DW wants nothing fancier than a Croque Madame for her birthday. Personally, I'd want foie de canard and a good glass of Cahors or St-Emilion!

It's basically a grilled cheese with some béchamel and an egg. I don't think I've had a bad one anywhere in Paris, so maybe you should concentrate on finding a place that serves one that also has some ambiance. Or maybe have one and then take her to someplace a little romantic??

Gekko Aug 18th, 2011 08:27 AM

The croque madame is for breakfast. We're dining with friends at <b>Spring</b> in the evening!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/tr...es-spring.html

spaarne Aug 18th, 2011 09:09 AM

The NYT is pretty much debased. I suggest that you get a second opinion.

madamtrashheap Aug 18th, 2011 05:43 PM

<i>The croque madame is for breakfast.</i>
Well then, I'd say a leisurely and glam breakfast with a view from the terrace at Cafe Marly would be a great way to start a birthday!

TPaxe Aug 18th, 2011 10:31 PM

I love a croque Madame or Monsieur on Polaine bread! These are usually not eaten for breakfast but for lunch with a salad or fries.

Café Marly version uses soft white bread which I don't like.

Scootoir Aug 19th, 2011 08:42 PM

TPaxe,

Do you know the names of places that use Polaine bread on their Croques?

denisea Aug 20th, 2011 08:03 AM

You could try Bar Cuisine right next door to Poilane...to get a Croque M on their bread