Reload this Page >

The Bernese Oberland in June 2023: please help me with my itinerary

Old Sep 25th, 2022, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

On my first thread on our planned sojourn to Italy and Switzerland next June, I have indicated that one of the places we値l visit is the Bernese Oberland. Today I would like you all to help me put together a 6 day/ 7 night itinerary. Since our kids have never been, we値l likely re-visit some of the places we have been, but would like to add a few new things to do.

Here in my first attempt in no particular order, as all of it is weather dependant:

Day one. Visit Murren, Almendhubel, Schilthorn and do the walk from Almendhubel to Grutschalp (or the reverse, which seems a bit more difficult).

Day two: is Grindelwald First day. We would probably walk to Bachalpsee, do the thrill walk, ride those rides they have now (one must do something every day that scares you), ride the trotti bikes again, as well as the carts.

Day three: do a boat trip on lake Brienz here I need some help on what to do, please

Day four: Do the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk. Go up to the Eiger gletscher station and then take the cable car to Grindelewald, riding on top

Day five: visit Oeschinensee and do that ride they have there. Spend some time in Kandersteg. Anything else we can do here?

Day six: Do a day trip to Bern or Zermat or ??? on a rainy or bad weather day?

Day seven: we値l probably fly back home out of Zurich, but that will only be after 19h00 on our last day, so we have a half a day to fit in something easy. Any recommendations will be helpful

We are not sure in which town we値l be staying, but that should not really be an issue.

What about the Jungfrau experience, you ask? We are very flexible and can substitute day five or six for this. Big decision for us.

Note that we値l probably be purchasing the eight-day Bernese Oberland Regional Pass for the time we are there. Any comments on this idea are very welcome.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on my proposed itinerary. It will be appreciated as always.

Ewoud

Old Sep 25th, 2022, 11:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We took a boat ride on Lake Brienz. We did not have reservations nor need them.
We loved our week in Grindelwald and explored the mountain towns.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 09:31 AM

Good itinerary. A little energetic for me but I'm old. And you can always cut back if the day gets too long. Here's my two cents:

Day six or a rainy day -- Good time to visit Bern. Zermatt is a long way from Grindelwald by train.

Day seven -- Visit Lucerne on your way to Zurich. Or, if you haven't been to Zurich, spend a few hours there.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 05:11 PM

We spent a week in Wengen and got half fare card + 8 days B O pass. While we love the view in Wengen it is s a hassle if you need to leave that area, it works great if you focus in that part of BO area. Because of the free ride, we did excesive cable car rides because it is less crowded. On your Brienz day, you can also do Brienz Rothorn (included w BO pass) and there are some small towns/castles where ferry stops, plus some bus rides to get different experience and views . We do not like Schynige Platte, many changes in transp. and the funicular took so long, hike is OK. The rides in First filled up fast, I did not plan on it but 2 out of the three were full when I was there. We got a heatwave (not the severe one but bad enough), Alpenrose hotel has no air con, no window and only one double door open to balcony where the sun shines on you directly. The whole room is like a toaster oven while my husband was not feeling well and needed to stay in. They refused to switch our room when the one next door became available because a return customer will spend two nights (we were there for 7 nights). Make usre you get a place with air con or very well venitlated.
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 05:30 PM

When we've travelled to Switzerland with the kids (twice) we've purchased 'junior' cards for them, which at the time cost us 30chf per child. This enabled them to travel free everywhere we went (although we didn't go to Jungfrau so not sure about that). We had to present their passports when purchasing. From memory, it's for under 16s but check that. It makes family travel cheap and easy.

Of course things change over time so check prices etc.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for your responses.

HappyTvlr, we are going to do the boat ride, for sure!

MichGuy, I also thought that we should have an off day somewhere, but maybe Bern would be that day? It痴 different, no mountains, no lakes, just leisure time in a different environment. Maybe Lucerne would be a better place to spend a few hours before going home. We値l just have to find a place to store our bags on the station. Do you know if it has that facility?

Travelkam, should we do the Rothorn early in the morning and then take our boat ride, or the other way around?

Thanks for the information about the aircons, sometimes we take it for granted that hotel rooms must have them, but they don稚 always.

We were also thinking of the combining the Swiss Half Fare Card with the BO Regional Pass: do you recommend that? Looks like you save a few Francs on the BORP if you buy it first.

Dreamon, I値l check the prices, thanks.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 11:29 AM

We were in Switzerland for 3 weeks inJune this year. We used a combination of HFC, BO pass, saver day pass and local transit provided by airbnb host. We make full use of 8 day BO by start using it as day 1 to travel from Lucerne to Wengen, day 8 from Wengen to Montreux (pay for a later leg). Use SBB web or app to price out what transport u r taking and justify whether a pass is better. In general, short range train and buss, even ferry, is not that expensive. Mountain cable is expensive but then you pay a special price with pass. I think HFC is a must and saver pass is godsend if you buy it early enough. We use two saver pass in Lucerne which pays for ferry and funicular.
For Brienze Rothurn and ferry, it doesn't matter am or pm, check timetable to see what's best for you. For lakes, u can do ferry and bus combo.
We used SBB luggage handling twice, both station to station, it worked like magic as we over packed winter jackets. And it's cheap!
we stored bags in Berne train station. Lockers come in different sizes, and it takes credit card. I'm sure Lucerne station has the same. Check SBB web for station info. At Lucerne train station, right next to Burger King is a small coop (?) They have everything u can grab for your trip, and cheap, and open late.
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 10:13 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We went down to Lake Brienz on a day when the weather up in Grindelwald was bad, heavy rain. It was ok on the lake. We probably would not have left the mountains otherwise.
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Apologies, I wanted to comment on this post and forgot about it!

Travelkam, we are kind of set on using the passes as mentioned. If we go to Jungfrau and Schilthorn, that alone will almost make it worthwhile. Plus, it is so nice to jump (legally) onto any kind of transport without having to pay for it.

Is it easy to use the SBB baggage handling? And how long before departure must we have it picked up/ hand it in?

Confirmed Lucerne has lockers, we値l use them if necessary. And we love the Co-ops; we had lunch at the one in Bern in 2011 and it was affordable and nice. Yeah, we are going to use Micros, Co-op and the likes a lot. We can稚 afford to dine out every day, plus a picnic at a beautiful spot is sometimes more enjoyable than a formal lunch/supper.

Question: I see they offer supper on the boat on Lake Brienz (or Thun?). Can anybody tell me whether it is worth it?

Last question: I read somewhere that you can have supper in a cable car (Pfinstegg?). That seems a very unusual activity. Has somebody on the Forum done that and should we consider it?

Thanks to everybody for taking the time and posting advice. It is always fantastic.
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 11:08 PM

We did SBB station to station luggage handling, twice, both arrives next day or two. Door to door takes at least two days ahead if hours work. For Jungfrau and Schithorn, you will have to pay supplement nmw pass you have. We didn't do ferry dining, but judging by the set up, glad that we didn't. Causal setting with people wandering around, not like how they show online.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelkam,
I am always kind of sceptical about offers like that, but it is an evening cruise and it sounds like it should be a romantic setting, hence my interest. I'll wait to see if there is more information available before making a decision.
Ewoud