Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The Anti-Big City tour of Spain with family...recommended?

Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This will be our first time to Spain as a family with two kids 6 and 7. We live in Sweden and are flying in and out of Madrid over the Easter holidays. We have about 10 days of sightseeing. Initially I was thinking of doing the the Madrid, Toledo, Seville, Granada circuit, but after doing more reading and knowing that nearly EVERYONE who travels to Spain first time does this circuit. I am wondering if we can stop and start in Madrid since we will fly in and out of there and do Small and Quaint City Tour instead?

Are the big cities so fabulous that we would be making a mistake by not spending much if any time?? Or would you recommend two cities and the rest small towns. We have the Easter holidays so might want to do something low key then anyway. Itinerary recommendations??

Anyone with experience to this and advice is welcome to offer their two cents!

Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
Amy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a thought, how about choosing one base location and traveling out from there, combining a laid-back location with some city sight-seeing? I highly recommend Untours, and they have an Andalusia option that looks lovely: http://www.untours.com/reg.asp?RID=327 Unfortunately, I didn't know about Untours when I was in Spain, but I would have far preferred this to the city circuit (the one you have listed! ) which I did. The Alhambra is indeed a don't-miss to me, and you could tour Madrid before you depart, but otherwise in ten days you wouldn't need to do much in the line of big cities.

Happy planning!

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
yk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't call Toledo, Granada, and Seville "big" cities. They all have a small town feel, and the reason they're popular because they all have something very unique. There must be a reason why all 3 places have monuments listed as World Heritage Sites by the UNESCO, no?
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soemtimes there is a reason why places are well visited, sometimes not like Pisa. The towns around Mdrid are quite interesting. In the alternative head to he Basque country, great food, varied architecture, topography, and history.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a reason why tourists flock to certain places and those reasons are usually pretty valid IMO. EVENTUALLY you are going to want to do these places you mention in Spain but iw ould also agree you don't HAVE to do them your first time but why wait? Are you concerned there will be THAT many other people there the same time you are or that they really aren't "worth it?"

I think one additional "problem" is the amount of time you "need" to spend in any particular place and I still believe that is about as subjective as you can get. For example, when we visited Seville I was finished with it mentally after three days; I've seen that same architecture for years right here in parts of the US. of course, when i made that known here i was criticized by many..all of whom I'm delighted to say i wasn't traveling WITH.

have a great trip IMO Spain is wonderful.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again, I would stay away from Seville during the Seaman Santa.

Toledo and Segovia are only half hour by train from Madrid. Salamanca ( less than 3 hours by train) has been recommended by many here. 1-2 nights.
Easter holidays are busy time in Spain. make sure you organize your trip soon.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I have decided on Madrid for a couple of days, with side trip to Toledo. Then to the coast to the Javea area...unless I read more about Rioja. Not sure if both a do able again as I wanted to hone down our family traveling.

I appreciate all your replies. As an American living in Sweden, I am looking forward to touring all of Europe a step at a time!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mean Semana Santa.

sorry, I don't know about the coast ( no beach time this early) or Rioja. With small kids and only 10 days , I would pick one location after Madrid.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I had to ignor a big city it would be Madrid - which reminds me of nothing so much as Chicago. Lots of grey highrises ad not very Spanish IMHO - exccept for the nightlife that lasts until 6am.

I think Andalusia is uch more typical of what is uniquely Spanis (Moorish history as well as even older) and the cities there are much smaller. I would head to Seveille, Granada and Cordoba - with perhaps a day at the beach - and think kids would enjoy it a lot more.