Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   the Air France experience (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/the-air-france-experience-1031312/)

suec1 Dec 2nd, 2014 07:44 AM

the Air France experience

Please try to tolerate this posting on the Europe board (I figured there were many here that have frequently flown AF). We live in Atlanta and almost always fly Delta - in two weeks we are flying Air France from ATL to CDG and then from CDG to BKK - ugh! but what can I expect? (we are cattle class). Half way decent food? free wine? lots of in flight entertainment options? We have about a 3 hour layover at CDG until we board another overnight flight (well not on our body clocks!). Are there Pret-Mangers in CDG to supplement airline food if needed? Thanks for your input

suec1 Dec 2nd, 2014 07:52 AM

Oh I am assuming we will get pillows and blankets? correct?

StuDudley Dec 2nd, 2014 08:06 AM

AF has better food & service than most airlines, IMO. Their major problem is they go on strike more often than most airlines.

Yes - they have food in France.

Stu Dudley

LCBoniti Dec 2nd, 2014 08:07 AM

I can't really answer all of your questions as my only AirFrance experience was several years ago and things (airlines) have changed a lot since then. But we really enjoyed our AirFrance experience.

We also had a long layover at CDG and I remember a lovely tomato, mozzarella, basil on a baguette that we purchased in the gate area. So I would say no worries about food. :)

LowCountryIslander Dec 2nd, 2014 08:21 AM

sue...

I've flown AF out of ATL to CDG several times in the past few years. I find the food to be pretty good.

After one experience in "cattle class" in 2010, I now purchase their premium economy seats, it's worth the extra cost for me to be more comfortable. I find, the regular economy seat configuration too cramped for me. On the planes I've been on from ATL to CDG the regular economy has been the 3-5-3 configuration, whereas the premium economy is a 2-4-2 configuration.

On the brighter side, I do find AF to have a vast selection of entertainment options, I've seen some really great movies on AF flights.

I can't speak about the flight/plane from CDG to BKK. Have a wonderful time! :-)

elberko Dec 2nd, 2014 08:32 AM

Been a while, but I also recall that the the food in flight was better than most.

I've found that the type of entertainment available depends on the type/age of the specific plane, and not just the airline. Maybe check seatguru?

I like to check airport websites for food options if I will be there a few hours:
http://www.easycdg.com/1/airport-gui...ing-and-eating

~Liz

nukesafe Dec 2nd, 2014 08:36 AM

If you have lounge privileges do go to the Air France/Delta lounge at CDG. Without a doubt the BEST lounge experience ever! The food/drinks bar is incredible! Well worth arriving early before your flight.

StuDudley Dec 2nd, 2014 08:59 AM

You flight will probably allow you to spend some time in the "new" terminal that is close to the AF gates. Many, many food options there and very comfortable seating in the waiting area.

Stu Dudley

kraines Dec 2nd, 2014 09:05 AM

The last time that I flew Air France I was very pleased....

Alec Dec 2nd, 2014 09:24 AM

Generally speaking, AF longhaul is average for European carrier in terms of service, comfort and punctuality. Economy seats are tight, in-flight entertainment consists of VOD and decent-sized seatback screen. Some seats have limited legroom because of IFE box - check Seatguru. You get free glass of champagne (not with meals), free drinks including alcoholic and average food (not haute cuisine). Service is efficient without much charm. The major problem is CDG, where change of terminals can take a long time with long lines for security, and chance of your luggage not making transfer even if you do. The refurbished AF terminals are fine, though food and drink prices are very high, like 3 euro for a can of coke or small coffee.

Christina Dec 2nd, 2014 09:42 AM

Of course they have inflight entertainment options, more than many airlines (more than United, for sure). Their food and drink is better than any American carrier I've flown, but of course, it is airline food (meaning microwaved). At least the coffee is decent, and rolls, and you get free wine. If you usually fly Delta, I can't imagine why you'd be afraid of Air France, there aren't any airlines that are worse than American ones IME, for international flights.

Dukey1 Dec 2nd, 2014 10:21 AM

Actually, that food is probably heated in those special fast ovens which are NOT microwaves.

Alec Dec 2nd, 2014 10:46 AM

Can't use microwave as the radiation can possibly interfere with aircraft's electronics (avionics).

TPAYT Dec 2nd, 2014 03:10 PM

3 Euros for a can of Diet Coke? Sounds like a bargain compared to St. Bart's where we paid $10 US for a can at a resort bar.

Just sayin'!

Southam Dec 2nd, 2014 03:48 PM

You might get a sparkling white wine. You will get a wider choice of music and movies because it is, after all, French. In the AF/KLM/Delta pool of flights across the Atlantic, I think Air France's in-flight entertainment offers the broadest selection. But with personalized electronics being carried by so many passengers these days, this may be a minor concern for you.

Alec Dec 2nd, 2014 04:13 PM

Not in a bar, but in a small self-service store. Usual store price is less than a euro.

Wekiva Dec 2nd, 2014 04:14 PM

Not real familiar with Air France other than they were one of the few airlines I've flown in the last few years that actually checked the size of our carry on in the little box by the check-in counter. Make sure your carry on follows their size limitations.

Mathieu Dec 2nd, 2014 04:27 PM

Agreed, aircraft ovens are usually steam or convection or other rapid-heat technologies.

And yes TPAYT, those St. Barts prices are a killer. Well familiar with them, especially in Gustavia. Best place for a great - and price worthy - meal is at a little shack on St. Jean beach or one in Cul-de-sac if you're there again.

Mathieu Dec 2nd, 2014 04:29 PM

Sorry, forgot to say to the OP that your AF flight should be comfortable enough. I've always found AF to be slightly better in service (personal attention, food, entertainment) than the majority of NA airlines.

crosscheck Dec 2nd, 2014 04:58 PM

We had a great experience on AF. We had booked Economy Plus award tickets from LAX-Pisa and were upgraded to business for no apparent reason. This was the only time we have ever gotten an upgrade on an award ticket on an airline where we didn't have status. Mr. C thinks it's because we were cooperative and didn't complain when they made us check our carry-ons - as Wekiva pointed out they were very strict about luggage fitting in the sizer.