That's A Lot Of Bull

Search

That's A Lot Of Bull

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's A Lot Of Bull

I am planning on visiting Pamplona in July for the running of the bulls with visits to Madrid and Barcelona before or after. I am thinking of renting a car or taking an overnight train to Pamplona. I am allowing about a week for this with my primary purpose to run with the bulls and not get killed! Appreciate comments and or suggestions.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:44 AM

You're not talking about THIS year are you? EVerything will have been sold out many months ago!

As for running with the bulls - I hope you're in really good shape and don;t get tripped up by any drunks.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Wear a Fodor's cap and we will try to watch you on TV every morning at 8.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

lincasanova,

Where can I get a Fodor's cap? A good idea. Do they also have cheek pads?
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Write the editors for one. i am sure they will send you something!

"Be careful" is an understatement.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

In Spain on my way to run with the bulls ... Maybe?
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 07:36 AM

Good luck! We haven't lost anyone so far, but yesterday's bulls did a little damage along the route and in the bullring, two suffered horn wounds and three of three matador's injured, two by the same bull.
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

In Pamplona, That's No Bull Sh--, The Party Has Began!

After an almost 415Km, 8 hour leisurely drive from Madrid, I arrive in Pamplona excited to “Run With The Bulls”, maybe?

Interestingly, on my flight to Madrid an article in Delta's Sky Magazine listed as the number one group activity to see or participate in,  you guessed it. Running With The Bulls in Pamplona, Spain!

If I survive tonight's festivities, I will (might) face that challenge at 8:00 am tomorrow.

For now, I am beginning my mental preparations and hope to soon start my physical conditioning.

OK, that’s one beer curl, I know I can do at least 5 more.

I know I am approaching Pamplona long before I arrive as I see people in cars and at bus stops gearing up or already dressed in the traditional festival attire.

I don't make too much of a fashion statement as I purchase a scarf for E$2.50. I later learn that at a store next door I could have purchased a complete outfit for E$13.00, shucks!

With my new scarf it is not long before I am fitting right in. I meet Carlos and his girlfriend Laura who at a local bar introduce me to“Calimocho”. 

Calimocho is a local drink that mixes red wine with Coke.

We enjoy our Calimochos with good conversation including English and Spanish lessons. Afterward Carlos and Laura head off to find friends “Lost In Pamplona”.  My night is off to a good start.

Unless you see me on CNN, I will update this posting soon after I finish my last “Calimocho” and I promise that's no Bull Sh--!
Old Jul 9th, 2010, 11:58 PM

Calimocho is a big national disgrace. Just to think of it gives me the shivers. You can mix it with Gaseosa or lemon, but coke....
Good luck with the bulls!!
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 01:33 AM

Good luck, take care and ¡Viva San Fermín, Viva! ¡Gora San Fermín, Gora!
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Josele,

Those might be fighting words from all the 2 liters of Coke I see floating around. I also sampled it with Gaseosa. I thought the lemon drinks were mixed with rum or vodka.

I do like the 2 Gallon containers that seem popular. Guess it makes it easier to carry and share with your friends or strangers

Despite your feeling, I did take a liking to Calimocho with Coke. You'll have to forgive me on that one!

Look for my post on the bulls and soon as I can put my Calimocho down and write about it.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Kimhe,

Thanks!!! Seems like you have shared the fun and experience here.

What a great time when you have basicially a whole city in a party mood.

Yes, Viva San Fermin!
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Pamplona, Explosions!

Exactly at 23:00, multiple explosions and bright lights disturb the otherwise peaceful night sky over Pamplona.

The city's nightly fireworks show has began. We are then entertained for about the next 25 minutes by an almost continuous stream of thundering sounds and dazzling lights.

Reds, Greens, Whites, Purples and other colors all take turns illuminating the crowd even doing so sometimes in unison.

The performance is brilliant and matches or exceeds any firework display that I have seen before.

The sky is filled with a sea of reds and white, similar to the attire of most of it's audience as the fireworks show comes to an end. All around spectacular! The crowd cheers and applauds registering their delight.

Dispersing, some like myself head to a nearby concert area for nightly musical entertainment.

After a few songs I make a dinner run. While hopping a ledge, I find 3 euros in the grass and with no owners near by to claim it, I guess it is my lucky night!

Not wanting to miss out too much on the night's activities dinner becomes a apple strudel from a pasteleria followed by a Lion candy for dessert. I know what you are thinking, I thought the same thing. Nutritious!

When in Pamplona do as The Pamplonians do. I use this to make my case as I purchase 1 liter of Coke and a 1 liter premium boxed red wine (E$1). Can you say “Calimocho”?

Provided with a cup, for about 3 euros my beverages for the evening are covered. I am a free date for myself thanks to my earlier discovery.

See my Pamplona pictures at:

http://dmbtraveler195.blogspot.com/2...xplosions.html
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Seems as the same fantastic atmosphere as ever! Take care if you run, I lost my head somewhat the one time I ran in six Sanfermines and was lucky to get away in one piece.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 10:19 AM

"When in Pamplona do as The Pamplonians do" It's "Pamplonicas", and only those under 25, with no money and little sense, drink kalimucho, which comes from the Basque country. It'll cook your brain in the hot summer sun.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Robert2533,

Thanks for the insight. But you many stand corrected on one thing. I did share "Kalimucho" with young and old (>25 I am guessing from gray hairs) "Pamplonicas".

I did not check Id's or Bank Accounts but I know they all had the sense to have FUN.

My travels are more enjoyable to me when I participate and share an experience with locals. No matter how young or old or how rich or poor, I have come to learn to respect different cultures and sensibilities.

Then again some may say I am idiotic and don't have a brain for doing so. That being the case I won't have to worry about it being fried!

However, this why I travel independently and I think end up with richer experiences than most.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Pamplona, Running With The Bulls

I knew I should never have gone to sleep. By the time I arrive at the bull run staging area, it is packed beyond belief. You would think this was an event that would last all day long. The actual event takes less than 10 minutes to complete.

I am sure if the bulls knew what was going on they would not be in such a hurry.

The staging area is jammed with viewers on trash cans, traffic lights and even in trees. I find myself up a wall but get some good running tips while I am there. My wall mate has previously ran and suggests an entry point for me to try.

“Con Permisso, Excuse Me, Hot Lemonada and I nudge my way forward to a gated and medical staging area. Here a medic takes care of a little bull induced boo, boo.

I make it to the route just in time to see a bull's "he-haw" disappear into a following crowd. At least it does not leave any presents behind.

Not quite the experience I was expecting. A little like going to Times Square to see the ball drop and getting there at 11:59:59.

Although I have now done both, I prefer the warmth and festive mood of Pamplona than the usually cold and miserable New York City winter.

I still celebrate being here with a few fellow runners and we have a better version of what happened for home consumption only. The true story will remain our little secret. Here it goes.

“Despite the bulls passing us, we charge through the following crowd and grab one of them by the tail. The crowd goes wild as the bull drags us along the muddy street to Plaza de Toros."

Do you think our friends at home will buy it or say man "Now that's some serious BS."

In the end, I guess instead of running with the bulls, I could say the bulls ran away from me. Lucky for them!
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 12:46 AM

Fun thread DMB! Thanks for posting.

Glad you survived to post again, sounds like you are having a great time in Spain.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 11:04 AM

Does anyone know where to find the words to the el canto that is sung right before they fire the rocket? I have googled it .. but have not had any luck ..... thanks .. Pamplona during the festival is something I will never forget!
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM

lincasanova,
Just wanted to know what station are you watching it on?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -