Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   that last sliver of soap..... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/that-last-sliver-of-soap-770616/)

pdx Mar 3rd, 2009 09:18 AM

that last sliver of soap.....

My last bar of soap from my last trip to Europe is a broken and pressed together sliver but I'm not giving it up. I have one more week till the next trip and I'll continue to use this little scrap until I come home with a new bar from Spain.
It's a matter of principal.
We humans are some funny little creatures.

Robespierre Mar 3rd, 2009 09:20 AM

Some humans are funnier little critters than others.

hetismij Mar 3rd, 2009 09:37 AM

Don't they have good soap in Oregon?? Better make sure I bring my own :)

Cries_Van_Notebook Mar 3rd, 2009 09:59 AM

You are daft. Go to the grocer's and buy some Dove. Blimey!

Thin

adrienne Mar 3rd, 2009 10:03 AM

I understand how you feel. Last time in Paris I stocked up on Fragonard soap so I wouldn't run out before my next trip.

georgiegirl Mar 3rd, 2009 10:06 AM

I always travel with my Dove, here in the USA, Europe, or Asia. Tell us more about that special sliver of soap.

Wayne Mar 3rd, 2009 10:06 AM

The reference to "a matter of principal" reminds me of a student, who when asked whether he liked his school, said
"It isn't the school I dislike, it's the principal of the thing."

Giovanna Mar 3rd, 2009 10:15 AM

I had to laugh when I read your post pdx. We have a round, originally rather large soap with a bit of loofa in the center that I bought in Hawaii. The sides are breaking off almost with each use and it gets smaller by the day. It has wonderful lather and scent and the loofa works well too. I hate to see it go. We're returning to Hawaii in July, but I honestly can't remember where I bought it, but I will be on the lookout for a similar soap.

I too take Dove liquid on our trips georgiegirl. Love it for showers and the fragrance doesn't overpower the scent I like to wear.

pdx Mar 3rd, 2009 10:33 AM

hmmmph....I knew someone was out there who would understand. Thank you Adrienne and Giovanna. The rest of you naysayers haven't a sense of nostalgia at all, do you? It's olive oil soap and it's from France, for god's sake! I can't use dove that I could get at the corner grocery store. Where's the potential of a trip, the memory trigger, the specialness in a bar of soap I got at the Krogers?

yk Mar 3rd, 2009 10:42 AM

pdx - you can always get olive soap from France via L'Occitane. It can tie you over until your next trip to Europe!
http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/...prod=25SA350OL

Nikki Mar 3rd, 2009 11:00 AM

pdx, I have exactly the same thing going on. Just a sliver left. So I have ordered from www.frenchsoaps.com. It costs more than Dove but less than a trip to France.

Maribel Mar 3rd, 2009 11:09 AM

pdx,
And on your upcoming Spain trip, you can bring back the fragrant dark black glycerin soap, enriched with lanolin and minerals, Magno, from the spa island of La Toja (Galicia), which you can buy in supermarkets, perfumerías and El Corte Inglés. You can also buy it online from a dozen sources in the states, and my local gift shop sells it, but at a much higher price than in Spain.

Ditto to the "tutti frutti", multi-colored, speckled soap, Macedonia-another great glycerin soap with sea salts and a fragrance of tropical fruits. And both soaps last forever.

Giovanna Mar 3rd, 2009 11:51 AM

Both soaps sound wonderful Maribel. I'm worrying over how to replace my Agua de Naranjos Eau de Toilette I bought in Sevilla. I've tried the manufacturer's website with no luck. Is there somewhere else I could purchase it online? It's a wonderful fragrance and I love to wear it particularly in summer. Would love to return to Spain to buy it myself, but I don't see that in our plans for several years.

Maribel Mar 3rd, 2009 12:31 PM

Giovanna,
I can't find a US online source for Agua de Naranjos, just Agua de Sevilla, but at a very high price on www.deliciasdeespana.com from Miami. 4.2 fl oz. for $119.

My local store for all things Spanish, The Spanish Table, sells the 2 pack Magno soaps for $6.99, but La Española Brand Meats, which doesn't just sell meats but other Spain products, sells the 2 pack for $5.99
www.laespanolameats.com

Much cheaper than www.tienda.com

At any rate, these soaps are quite nice and do last a very long time!

taggie Mar 3rd, 2009 01:07 PM

Soaps are one of my main purchases on my travels.... so I totally get what you're going through pdx!

At least you only have a week to wait :)

pdx Mar 3rd, 2009 01:30 PM

hetismij, bring a bar of soap from the Netherregions when you come to visit Oregon and I'll trade you for a bar of real, Oregon dove soap. Deal?
taggie - soap and ceramics! other stuff, too, but mostly food so soap and ceramics are the lingering reminders

Giovanna Mar 3rd, 2009 03:59 PM

Maribel: Thanks so much for your help. I'll look into the websites you provided. Guess we'll have to return to Sevilla after all! That would be fine with me.

ecat Mar 3rd, 2009 06:39 PM

Pdx, well I for one completely understand what I'll call your "soap situation". I became addicted to Roger Gallet nature soaps when we were in Paris. Was completely crushed when they changed their packaging from a huge bar to the cute little round ones. I buy mine on-line before it's gotten to that sad little sliver. Glad you're headed back to stock up!

Cries_Van_Notebook Mar 3rd, 2009 07:39 PM

Please, sweetie darling, I can buy sandalo soap from Farmacia Santa Maria Novella by ringing up Lafcony.

Thin

pdx Mar 3rd, 2009 07:53 PM

Not the same.
Thin, you can look at pictures on the internet and say you've seen the Taj Mahal. Is it the same as seeing it in person?