Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Thanksgiving Weekend In Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/thanksgiving-weekend-in-paris-853406/)

CarolA Aug 6th, 2010 10:44 AM

Thanksgiving Weekend In Paris

Before someone points it out... I know they don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Paris :)

However, since I have two days off I did some checking and can get a Frequent Flyer ticket to Paris that weekend. Has anyone gone then? Any thoughts on weather, Christmas decor (went a few years ago for Christmas and loved the lighting on the big department stores for example), or things I should consider about a late November visit?

I can't decide if I should be a "good friend" and do my annual trek to Boston or "bail" and go to Paris (and I know this group will help me decide....to go to Paris)

Vicky Aug 6th, 2010 10:47 AM

Go to Paris!

LowCountryIslander Aug 6th, 2010 10:59 AM

Paris gets my vote! :-D

ziggypop Aug 6th, 2010 11:11 AM

Be a great friend and take your good friend to Paris!

Suzanne2 Aug 6th, 2010 11:23 AM

We have gone several times during Thanksgiving week. We are in fact, going this year. Weather can be a bit sketchy but who cares.

kerouac Aug 6th, 2010 11:27 AM

Some of the Christmas stuff will be up by then, particularly at the department stores on Boulevard Haussmann.

gracejoan3 Aug 6th, 2010 02:28 PM

A great time to go..I am in Paris at that time often..last year all of Nov and 1st half of Dec. I will be there this year month of November.

I spend Thanksgiving Day dinner at Violon d'Ingres with Paris friends..and this year have some new friends from Alabama joining us.

Last year Nov. was unseasonably warm..hope it is this year too!!

Yes, go to Paris. The Thanksgiving weekend is a popular time for many to go as they have your same long weekend time.

Joan

LunaBella Aug 6th, 2010 02:55 PM

We've been in Paris in late November and I love that time of year there! As kerouac said, many of the Christmas decorations are up by then and it also coincides with the arrival of the Beaujolais Nouveau (well, if you go a bit early, that's the third Thursday in November), so it's festive in that respect as well.

Perhaps you can even plan to stop by the Marais and visit the store "Thanksgiving" to celebrate; here's the website: http://www.thanksgivingparis.com/

Seamus Aug 6th, 2010 04:19 PM

Lucky you snagging the FF tix! Paris has become more popular as a Thanksgiving destination over the last several years. Weather is a crap shoot - can be anything from pleasantly warm to snowy and cold. Pack layers and a travel umbrella and enjoy.

CarolA Aug 7th, 2010 07:53 AM

I really have to decide today....

I am not sure what I will do, but will let you know!

Weather does concern me, but I was there years ago in early December and have done a Christmas trip so I know I will survive.

Suzanne2 Aug 7th, 2010 08:49 AM

I'm really excited because we will be dining at Chez Flottes Thanksgiving evening.

Byrd Aug 7th, 2010 09:14 AM

Oh Carol, go to Paris!

We, too, will be in Paris Thanksgiving week. We are taking our by-then-18-year-old granddaughter to Paris for her first trip there.

We are so looking forward to being there, and I know this will be an unforgettable Thanksgiving!

Byrd

denmal Aug 7th, 2010 10:08 AM

Paris ALWAYS

paris1953 Aug 7th, 2010 10:31 AM

Go! No contest. Absolutely go to Paris!

Cholmondley_Warner Aug 7th, 2010 10:55 AM

I always go for my burfday (9/11) which is around thanksgiving.

I think it's a great time to go if you don't mind the weather. It's just a bit cold, rains sometimes etc. Decent clothing copes fine.

The place is pretty much empty, you get treated well (not true in the summer), everything is open. And all about half price.

Go for it.

Your chances of a turkey dinner are slim though. Splash out at a great Parisean joint and enjoy that instead. It will cost about the same that the restaurants that cater for ex pats charge.