Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving - AA messed up, need new destination ASAP

Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

I had called a week ago and put an Awards ticket from Denver-Venice, Rome-Denver on hold for our Thanksgiving trip and when I called back today AA claims to have accidentally released the reservation although they should have held it for an additional 5 days. I had them search every possible connection into/out of Italy for our dates (Nov. 18-25) but to no avail.

We now need a new destination and we probably need it fast, as I imagine most remaining Awards tickets to Europe for those dates are going fast.

So far our thoughts are southern France (Provence, perhaps?) or something in central Europe such as Prague. Will the main sights in Provence and Prague be open during late November? I know it is considered the low season.

Any other suggestions??
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:38 PM

Last I heard, AA FF reservations could be held for 2 weeks before ticketing was required. If it actually was their fault the tickets were released, I'd ask to talk to a supervisor who can get additional seats released to you ASAP. Keep going up the chain.

I don't believe it's like putting a pay ticket on hold, where they say the price isn't guaranteed until payment is made.

I believe you have a legitimate claim with them to get your seats back!!

Good luck.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:40 PM

Aggie, no suggestions, just want to tell you I'm sorry and I hope it will work out for you.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks both of you.
I was really upset and probably wasn't thinking too clearly. She agent was really nice and she searched all the different city combinations I asked for (Naples, Genoa, Pisa, Florence, Venice, Rome, Milan). I guess the original person that we spoke with when we made the reservation claim neglected to finalize the hold so it was never held in the first place. Although the agent could pull up the information based on the reservation number so the original agent must have put something into the system.

Ugh

I've been frantically working their website and I found AA travel for Paris and for Brussels. Would either make a good 6 night trip? We have not traveled to either place
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM

Both Brussels and Paris are very cool, and I'd visit either in a heartbeat over the Thanksgiving break.

Consider this an opportunity, and have a great time.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:09 PM

Probably biased because I've not yet been to Brussels, but, Paris most definitely!

Good luck.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

It's looking like Paris. I just put a hold on a ticket online (not too trusting of the AA reps right now!).
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM

I second the suggestion about getting your res back. If the res was released before the 2 week hold was up, then AA should reinstate your original res. Call back and insist on it. If the agent won't, ask for supervisor. You will be transferred to one of the AAngels at the Executive Platinum desk and they are capable of mAAgic.

OTOH, if you really don't care about the destination, Paris and Brussels are great places to visit. I would do an open jaw. Come into Paris for 3 nights, take the fast train to Brussels and fly home from there.

Good luck!
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi AA,
I am actually a Platinum member but not Executive Platinum. I guess I should say that I am Platinum for a few more weeks and then will drop to Gold (didn't fly as much as usual for business this year).

I'm going to talk to DH tonight and then I'll make a decision about calling AA and fighting with them for our original reservation or trying something new, like Paris or Belgium.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:30 PM

If you will be there on Tuesday, it must be Belgium
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi Faina,

Ok, I give up. Why Belgium on Tuesday?
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:36 PM

Somebody mentioned this movie "if it's Tuesday it must be Belgium", a comedy about tourists moving too fast from place to place
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:38 PM

If you get to a supervisor, that usually means it's one of the AAngels at the EXP desk. That's what I meant.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

I recall that thread now. I was imagining some amazing spectacle going on ONLY on Tuesdays in Belgium ;-)

Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

The paid ticket (DH) from Denver-CDG roundtrip is showing up at $790 total right now for November 11-26.

That seems awfully high for late November, or is it high merely b/c of the Thanksgiving holiday?
Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:50 PM

Faina, Texas Aggie is in her 20's. Said movie title is a tad before her time, but (unfortunately!!) not before mine.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:19 PM

AAFF - you're right about the EXP reps, but PLEASE stop using all the double AAs. OkAAy? Makes my teeth hurt.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:27 PM

Weren't you given a locator number when you made the original reservation? If so, this should be the only record you need to prove you had the reservation.

What it means they have to do is get higher-up approval to release more FF seats. I've had to request it before on a mistake that had been made, and it went very smoothly. Just took a few phone calls to get it all straightened out.

But your alternative doesn't seem so bad either. Just depends on where you wanted to go, Italy or France or Belgium.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 05:37 PM

TexasAggie,
Where have you been and where would you like to go?

I really love Italy, especially Rome, but found myself with an extra week's vacation Jan 2005 and suddenly HAD to go somewhere.

I chose France because I had only been to Paris and thought it might be nice to see more of the country. Yes, it was off-season (very). Yes, I was traveling by myself on a limited budget and didn't want to rent a car. I still had a fantastic time and would go back in a heartbeat. The food, the wine...

Life gives you lemons, make cassoulet. But I wouldn't kick Prague outta bed, either.

Good luck.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM

6 nights in Paris sounds like heaven to me. We went for the first time (as a couple) in 2000, and immediately went back twice in the next 3 years.

Paris is so nice for off season, because there are so many wonderful indoor things to do. Th

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO