Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thanks to you, we've decided on itinerary and hotels for Florence, Tuscany & Venice. Here it is...

Search

Thanks to you, we've decided on itinerary and hotels for Florence, Tuscany & Venice. Here it is...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thanks to all of your great suggestions, we’ve come up with the following itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive Venice, train to Florence arriving early afternoon
Stay in Florence: (Relais Cavalcanti)

Day 2-3: (3 nts total)
Stay in Florence: (Relais Cavalcanti)

Days 4-6 (3 nts)
Drive to & stay 3 nights in San Quirico (Relais Palazzo del Capitano)
Tour various areas in Val d’Orcia TBD

We’d love to hear suggestions from anyone. This is our first visit to the countryside. We definitely want to visit the abbey and Montepulciano…in fact, we want to see as much of this area as we can.

Day 7-8: (2 nts)
Drive to and stay in Siena (Antica Residenza Cicogna)

Siena seems to have a lot to see, and I haven’t begun to read about it yet, so any advice greatly appreciated.

Day 9:
Drive to and stay in San Gimignano (Hotel La Cisterna)

Day 10 (Sunday)
Drive to Venice, stopping at small towns along the way

If anyone has made this drive, we’d love to hear what you did along the way.

Days 10-13
Stay in Venice (Hotel Flora)

Day 14:
Fly home

This gets rid of the one-night stands (except for San Gimignano, but we must stay there one night!)

"If" we shop in Florence, we'll just have to tote it along in the trunk!

This is our third trip to Florence and Venice, but our first time renting a car, so we’re just a little apprehensive about this part. Any and all suggestions and tips would certainly be most appreciated, and thanks again to everyone for your help thus far.

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Do a search for Stu's driving tours from San Quirico. He's posted some routes that will easily take in the things you want to see in that area.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon,

Thanks, I do have Stu's guide, and I'm looking forward to reading through it for all the great advice he gives for driving through the region.

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 10:50 AM

The hardest parts of driving will be getting out of Florence. Buy a good map of Tuscany 1:200 000 (they sell them at the train station in Florence) and of Florence. Study just before you drive out paying attention to the one way streets.

Have the hotel in Siena recommend were to park. Buy a good map of Siena... I have a really good sense of direction and I always get lost walking around Siena.

The country is easy to drive ..just remember all roads go somewhere, even if they are dirt for awhile.

I'm sure you have a list of great places to see. Here are a couple of out of the way places.

Near S. Quirico is a Monticchiello a cute little town and lunch on the patio at La Porta is wonderful. (closed Tues)

There is a beautiful drive. Hiway 438 and then 451. South of Siena, thru Asciano, stop at Monte Oliveto, then Buonconvento.

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Sunday is always a good day to drive---good idea. However, nothing on your route can compare to where you are going. Hit the trail and keep truckin'. have lunch at an Autogrill---actually rather good.

From San Quirico, do not miss Bagno Vignoni, St. Antimo, and Montalcino one day. The La Porta trattoria is a great suggestion, but it is really south of Pienza. Try Il Veccchio Forno in San Quirico and say hi to the old codgers at Bar Centrale for me--love those guys.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi again, CT -

love the itinerary!

as for driving, here are my tips:

don't try to do it when you're tired/stressed - sunday am is a good start.

try to suss out the hire office before you have to leave - are you gonig to go there with your luggage, or go and pick up the car and then drive back to your hotel? - i would favour the former, with a taxi to the office.

go to www.via-michelin.com and print out a route from the office/hotel to your destination, and make sure you've got a good map of the area.

if you go wrong, don't panic, stop, and start all over again.

Have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice all, and bob I'll definitely pass on your hello to the codgers if we get to the Bar Centrale!

I haven't really looked into the specifics of car rental, but I was hoping to just leave the hotel in a taxi & go right to the rental spot (hopefully: out of town a bit, as I don't even want to think about driving in Florence!)

I had kind of wanted to stop in Vincenza on our way to Venice if it wasn't too far out of the way. (Mostly just to see where some of my favorite jewelry is made, hoping for an Outlet store...?) I haven't really researched that yet...

One more thing, I read in Frommer's that you should always drive with the doors locked in Italy, as any car parked, stopped in traffic or even driving is at risk of armed robbery!! (haven't mentioned this to DH) Sounds a bit alarmist to me...please tell me I don't have to worry if we rent a convertible!
:-0
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi again,

<<One more thing, I read in Frommer's that you should always drive with the doors locked in Italy, as any car parked, stopped in traffic or even driving is at risk of armed robbery!! (haven't mentioned this to DH) Sounds a bit alarmist to me...please tell me I don't have to worry if we rent a convertible!>>

You're right - it IS alarmist. the only place i might do that would be in a poor district of Naples.

it would be sensible though not to travel with a camera/handbag in full view and with the boot [trunk to you] locked.

once you have decided on your car hire office, you can use the via michelin site to plan all different routes - with diversions to Vicenza or wherever you choose. that will enable you to see how much it adds to the journey.

if it's a sunday, do check that they will be open though before you go!

regards, ann

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ann! I also wonder about the wisdom of renting a cute little convertible as far as making ourselves stand out as potential targets.

I would never leave anything of value in the car, except for the locked "boot". But expert thieves could easily get what they want from a locked trunk.

Italy certainly seemed safe to me everywhere I went. I felt just as safe as I do at home in upstate New York. I just wanted to check before booking a great little car to drive around in!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM

PLease report back about Hotel Flora. Curious to know if it's a lovely as I remember it.

Have a great trip!