Reload this Page >

Thanks for the "Best Wishes" for my trip to England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Amy

<BR>Well...I made it back home and had a trip of a lifetime. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions on what to see and do. I wish we had more time to do everything that was suggested. <BR><BR>In London we stayed at the Marriott County Hall, it was just lovely and centrally located, right out our window was the London Eye! We visted Harrod's food courts, they were just fabulous. We took a Jack the Ripper walking tour guided by a real life Beefeater. We toured Westminster and St. Paul's and attended the Tower of London Ceremony of the Keys. We went to Covent Gardens, Andrew, thanks for the tip about "Lush" and Trafalgar Square. One evening we went to Piccadilly for dinner. <BR><BR>While in London, we took the train, tube, cab, boat (to Greenwich) and a double decker bus and of course did plenty of walking. One evening we walked from our hotel across the Millennium Footbridge to the Tower of London (I think it must have been 25 miles) Robbyn's husband, Craig seems to think it was more like 5.<BR><BR>After Leaving London, we rented a car (what an experience) and headed for Bournemouth where we stayed a night in a very lovely hotel overlooking the English Channel. We visited Corfe Castle, we love it there, beautiful country side and very freinedly people. Actually every where we went the people were great! We ate a Ploughman's lunch and drank cider at a small country pub. We saw Durdle Door, and the Cerne Abbas Giant. We spent a night in Lyme Regis, walked down Gold Hill, had tea at a cute little place in Marlborough, hunted for fossils on the beach at Seatown, and visted Lulworth Cove. We spent our last night in Arundel. <BR><BR>If it sounds like we never rested, you're right. I am just beginning to recover, but what an experience. One that I will never forget. <BR><BR>Thank you Craig and Robbyn for asking me to come along. Thanks to all you, for your great suggestions. Robbyn copied all your "Best Wishes" and put them in a notebook for me which I am keeping with my photos as part of my memories.<BR><BR> Thanks again,<BR> Amy <BR>(Soon to Be a World Traveler)<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Wendy

Amy, You sure did see a lot! How long were you over there for?<BR><BR>Your report makes me itch to go back to London!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Amy

Wendy,<BR>We were there for 3 days. I wish it were longer, there's so much more I wanted to see. Next time...<BR><BR>Amy<BR><BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Steve

Amy:<BR><BR>How exaclty was the Ceremony of the Keys? Is it worthwhile or NOT TO BE MISSED?<BR><BR>I wrote for tickets, following instructions exactly as stated in Fodors and Frommers and never got a reply!<BR><BR>Thanks and glad you had a great trip!!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:22 PM
janis

Steve: Did you include a self-addressed envelope AND an international reply coupon? If not, they will not respond. Just the envelope won't do it. <BR><BR>If you did, and they didn't answer, your letter may have been misdirected/lost. I have requested tickets probably 7 or 8 times over the last 12 years and have always gotten a prompt reply.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:54 PM
JOdy

Amy..Thanks for the report , I had just been wondering about the Best wishes for my sister thread..<BR><BR>Glad you had such a great time and are raring to go againn..

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Amy

Steve, if it's not too late to get tickets I would try again. I thought it was actually somewhat spooky to be at the Tower late at night. The ceremony is a very serious affair and intersting to know they have done it every night at 10:00 for the past 700 some years. <BR><BR>The address I used is:<BR><BR>The Ceremony of the Keys<BR>Queen's House<BR>HM Tower of London<BR>EC3N4AB<BR>London, England<BR>UK<BR><BR>They also ask you to enclose an Internation Reply Coupon and a self-addressed envelope, and to state 3 alternative dates. Plus, the names and address of all wishing to attend, and ages of those under the age of 18. I got my tickets back in less than 2 weeks, but they ask that you request them 2 months in advance. Hope you can get the tickets and have a great trip.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Cindy

What is the Ceremony of the Keys?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:32 PM
paul

http://www.toweroflondontour.com/keys.html