Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Thanks Fodorite's, I'm Going to Wengen! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/thanks-fodorites-im-going-to-wengen-419172/)

gruezi Aug 25th, 2008 10:21 AM

Thanks Fodorite's, I'm Going to Wengen!

I just spent a few hours re-reading all the Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald posts here. What a lot of very helpful information! Many thanks to all those who have posted here on this topic.

Thanks to all this good advice, I've just booked 3 nights at the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen for the end of this week and I'm pretty excited.

I plan to do a lot of hiking in the area and hopefully soak up some sunshine and gorgeous views.

Not sure where I'll eat, but I'm open to any suggestions from my Fodor's friends.

I do have a bit of information (from here) about a hike from Mannlichen to KS, but if anyone has any other hiking information to share I'd love to hear from you. I'm not too keen on chairlifts or steep precipices, but am in good physical shape and have well-worn hiking boots.

Thank you!

gruezi

Marija Aug 25th, 2008 10:34 AM

One of the finest walks we've ever taken was down the mountain from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen. It's a nice gradual descent through pastures full of grazing cows, the sounds of their bells echoing throughout. (We took a chair lift from Wengen to Mannlichen and then walked back by way of Kleine Scheidegg.)

I don't know if it's still there but Marie's was a great restaurant in the middle of nowhere somewhere around Wengen. Access is only on foot. Their pastries were wonderful as were the views. Ask at the hotel.

Have a great time. I'd love to go back to Wengen!

sunstar Aug 26th, 2008 07:10 AM

Well have a nice trip. Wengen is a good choice and we certainly have many in this forum who believe in the Wengen base.

I hope you have more pleasurable moments than an SEC team running up the score on a Big 10 team.

Now playing:

Paradise by Uriah Heep

gruezi Aug 26th, 2008 08:05 AM

Hi Marija and Sunstar,

thanks for your good wishes...

and I hope I run into that Maria's restaurant!

gruezi

LLindaC Aug 26th, 2008 09:38 AM

Howdy gruezi!! Excellent choice, love the place. There's a little Italian place which is reasonable and has entertainment often...Da Sina. Take the cable car up to Gimmelwald and have a steamy fondue at the hotel next to the youth hostel. I have a picture of this...the view is magnificient. Then, walk it off going up the hill to Murren. I loved the Mannlichen/KS hike, too...we went all the way to the train station. I don't like downhills too much, but walking to the valley from Wengen wasn't too terrible.

gruezi Aug 26th, 2008 10:55 AM

Thanks Linda!

I love fondue after a good hike...

gruezi

Togo Aug 26th, 2008 11:18 AM

When you go up to Mannlichen by cable car, don't forget to walk up (5-10 min) a little hill with your back toward KS. When you reach the top, you'll be rewarded w/ 360 degree view of entire Jungfrau region (Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald valleys, and of course all the famous peaks).
Also while in Wengen, the picture-perfect view of Lauterbrunnen can be seen from a small area next to a little church by the main street, past the Mannlichen cable car.
Have fun!

PalenQ Aug 26th, 2008 12:43 PM

ditto for the Kl Scheidegg to Wengen downhill walk - a wide path - mountain bikers actually use it as can some vehicles so not cliffhanging - sweet sweet views over the Lauterbrunnen valley - can't get lost - great great easy hike

jck4 Aug 26th, 2008 12:47 PM

so jealous - I did this trip in 96. Lauterbrunnen is the prettiest place on the planet in my opinion. Make sure you rent bikes and ride through the valley.

PalenQ Aug 26th, 2008 12:58 PM

And the Lauterbrunnen Valley also has easy hikes from Lauterbrunnen's train station (a 20-min train ride from Wengen; Swiss Pass valid 100%) a few miles to the end of the valley by Stechelberg - flat trails follow a bubbling stream. Trummelbach Falls are just out of Lauterbrunnen - an inside the cliff water cascade that is said to be the only drain of the jungfrau's icy massif's northern side. You can go inside the cliffs for a memorable view of the gushing torrent of icy water.

Travelnut Aug 26th, 2008 01:23 PM

What is there to do in Wengen for a very sociable younger (40) couple in the evenings? They enjoy talking to people while having a beer in a pub and that sort of thing. I'm planning on the 4 of us staying in Interlaken for 3 nights to do some of the mountain activities, and thinking it's a bit larger town where they will have more to go do on their own in the evenings. I know everyone prefers Wengen but I'm wondering if it is <i>too</i> quiet at night..?

gruezi Aug 26th, 2008 11:12 PM

Thanks everyone for all these great ideas. I need to cut and paste them onto my Fodor's Wengen summary and I need to pack - I leave tomorrow morning. I hope the weather holds - it's been sunny 2 days in a row here in Zurich and I thought we were having rain until tomorrow so now I'm getting nervous about the weather. I only have 3 days... fingers crossed!

Travelnut - I think Wengen is pretty quiet, no cars and not a lot to do after dinner. I'll let you know if I'm wrong when I get back. I'm going for the hiking and scenery and my husband will join me the last night. He's going on to Jungfraujoch which I'm going to skip... heights issues for me. We are a young almost 50 couple, but aren't too much into nightlife - unless reading a book in bed counts! Most of the hotels I looked at did have small cozy bars.

gruezi

LLindaC Aug 27th, 2008 07:21 AM

We were entertained one night by the locals...a parade, music, dancing, lace tatting. Also, the hotel up the hill had a piano bar and the place I mentioned, Da Sina had entertainment as well. Much like what Gruezi said...during tourist times hotel bars are pretty lively. The Caprice, where we stayed, had a huge deck overlooking the valley and falls and we enjoyed chatting with many others until wee hours. We were VERY active during the day and usually ready to crash pretty early..

Travelnut Aug 27th, 2008 07:24 AM

Well, Gruezi, enjoy yourself and let us know how it was!

swisshiker Aug 27th, 2008 07:31 AM

Hello gruezi :)

We have always enjoyed the Restaurant Eigernordwand at the end of the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg trail. Typical Swiss cuisine, and the views from the terrace (or indoors if weather is cool) are terrific.

We were there just a few weeks ago, and the wildflowers were spectacular. So much rain this year has really made for a bumper crop.

Perhaps on the day your husband goes to Jungfraujoch, you could go partially up the mountain with him by train, to the Eigergletscher stop (last stop before extra bucks for the Jungfraujoch portion). You could then hike down to Kleine Scheidegg from there or all the way back down to Wengen.

Happy travels!

sunstar Aug 27th, 2008 08:09 AM

Gruezi, while in the Wengen area, please check out that Jungfrau marathon . It will be held on Saturday September 6th. The participants will run right through the heart of Wengen on the way up to the Eiger glacier station above Kline Scheidegg.

You can also take the train up to KS from Wengen. There is a festive atmosphere up there with bands,good food and things such as that. Gosh, I hope they have that open air pizza oven cranked. They make some scrumptious pizza there. You can wash it down with some refreshing beer also. Keep in mind that it will be crowded and that trains will be packed, but all in all it should be a fun day.

http://www.jungfrau-marathon.ch/ws/jm/en/marathon/

Now playing:

Races are run by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks

PalenQ Aug 27th, 2008 08:16 AM

I was in Interlaken a few years back and happened upon the Jungfrau Marathon - there were thousands of runners making this 26-mile basically uphill dash - ascending several thousands of feet.

Tip - if you do not have a hotel for the marathon weekend act now - all rooms in town were fully booked they said because of the marathon.

swisshiker Aug 27th, 2008 11:39 AM

A couple years back, we were in Murren for their annual Inferno Triathlon. Now those are athletes!

First there was the swim in Lake Thun, then the road bike and mountain bike trek. But the culmination was the run from Stechelberg all the way up to the Schilthorn! Unbelievable.

We spent the day up at the finish line, watching the absolutely exhausted athletes cross the line.

There were bands and all sorts of celebrations up at the Schilthorn, but especially in the town of Murren that evening.

I would imagine that the Jungfrau Marathon would be the same. Lots of people but so much fun to be a part of.

Happy travels!

gruezi Aug 27th, 2008 12:48 PM

You guys are great!

I'm leaving tomorrow morning - the weather report looks good - can't wait !

thanks everyone I'll report back in a few days.

gruezi

PalenQ Aug 27th, 2008 01:03 PM

One more final easy splendid walk - take the train down to lauterbrunnen then new aerial cable car thousands of feet up to Grutschalp and then instead of taking the train to Murren walk part or all the few miles on fairly flat and easy paths that go along but not too near the cliff - offering stupendous views over both the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Jungfrau Massif just across the way.

The Alpine restaurant midway is famous for its farmers' breakfast or later in the day anything for its delicious views from its sun terrace overlooking the valley and the Jungfrau massif. You can hop the train here if tired.

And from Murren a gentle enough and downward path goes the fairly short distance to Gimmelwald - again with valley and Jungfrau views galore.

At Gimmelwald another cable car plunges down to the valley where you can do the easy stroll back to Lauterbrunnen or hop a postal bus

if you have a Swiss Pass the all the conveyances Wengen-Lauterbrunnen-Grutschalp-
Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechleberg-
Lauterbrunnen are covered 100%m- the only such aerial cable ways i know of that are so covered rather than the usual 50%.

And as they say in German have a Gute Fahrt (nice journey)