Reload this Page >

Thanks Art for a great Fodor BBQ!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 09:13 PM
Miane

The Southern Cal fodorites met at Art's place today for a BBQ, feast of European food, great conversation and tons of gorgeous photo albums! Thanks a million Art, it was a great initiative and one I recommend other fodorites do!

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 08:20 AM
Robin

Me too-- I think we would all recommend joining a get-together when one pops up near you (as they seem to be doing all over!). We were an interesting, diverse group with one major thing in common. It's great to put a face to familiar names!

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 08:45 AM
Dr. Betty

Art, <BR> <BR>Just want you to know I was thinking about you all this weekend and wishing I had paid better attention in Yoga class to the teleportation portion of the training. I know you all had a great time and am inspired to initiate a Fodor gathering in Denver. Please give us all the details, you know, kind of like a travelogue. <BR>Regards, <BR>Dr. Betty

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Joan

Had a fabulous time Art and fellow Fodorites!! It was great fun to meet everyone and talk travel. Beautiful pictures, wonderful food, great conversation! Highly recommend it to everyone else. And it was quite an honor to meet THEE Elvira. Thanks to everyone for taking time out of busy lives to attend and to Art for opening up your home to us!

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 09:54 AM
Marilyn

Hi So Cal Travelers: <BR>The broccoli salad was so delicious!!! <BR>I would love to know who brought it to the party. <BR> <BR>Art, your hospitality was the best! <BR> <BR>Please share the secret of the best broccoli salad ever. Thank you, <BR>Marilyn

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Heather

Hi SoCal Fodorites! <BR> <BR>I'm so sorry I wasn't able to make it this weekend! I had been looking forward to the party for awhile. <BR> <BR>Shall we plan another one sometime in the new year?

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 11:55 AM
elvira

It was like group therapy - everyone talking about their travels and drooling over the photo albums. Add to that excellent food and scintillating conversation - well, it was just a slice of heaven. <BR> <BR>Thanks, Art, for putting it all together and hosting the party (when can we do it again huh huh?).

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 12:01 PM
Diane

What a lovely day! I was not sure what to expect -- not knowing anyone at all, but everyone was SOOOO nice. Good food, great photos, wonderful conversation. Great fun to finally meet Elvira and Luigi! <BR> <BR>Art, you are a most gracious host. Thank you again.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 12:34 PM
Thyra

ARRR so bummed I couldn't make it,but I was trapped at my office all flippin' weekend. I am so glad it was a great event! Did anyone take photos????? <BR>I was there in spirit if not in body anyway. <BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 12:51 PM
Diane

To Art, or should I say Mr. Nice Guy.... You've spoiled us with your hospitality! I echo the above sentiments. We all felt so welcomed and we hated to leave. <BR> <BR>Thanks again for a great day.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 03:33 PM
Art

Thyra, I'm relieved to know that you arn't lying in a Hospital and ONLY stuck at work. I'm sorry you couldn't make it. Next time. <BR>Art

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 06:29 PM
luigi

Ditto all of the above! I went with a certain amount of trepidation about what meeting a room full of travel junkies would be like. I am happy to report that we come in all ages, sizes and shapes but give us a plane, train or boat ticket and we are ready to go! <BR> <BR>Thanks a million Art, for opening up your home to a bunch of strange people, er, strangers that is. Hope to see you all at the next gathering. <BR>ciao, <BR>luigi

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 07:50 PM
Marilyn

BROCCOLI ANYONE? <BR> <BR>Broccoli isn't usually delicious. Somebody at our gathering brought some food with lots of broccoli in it. It was so good. I would love to have the recipe! Many thanks. <BR> <BR>Marilyn <BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 10:30 PM
Joan

Hey Marilyn, that was me that brought the broccoli salad. I'll email it to you. <BR> <BR>Joan

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 10:40 PM
joan

the recipe that is...

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 06:11 AM
elvira

Joan, I'd rather you emailed *me* the broccoli (seriously, though, the recipe would be acceptable). <BR> <BR>Who made the grape/cucumber salad? How about the recipe?

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 06:24 AM
bobbie

How about sharing the menu and recipes with all of us here, especially those of us far across the country. It seems when we're not dreaming of traveling, we're either in the garden or kitchen, so we'd love to try what we missed....

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 09:58 AM
Diane

To Joan and ???, <BR> <BR>I, too, would love the broccoli salad AND the grape-cucumber salad recipes. Both delicious. <BR> <BR>See what you've started , Art? <BR>

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 10:42 AM
Joan

Okay, okay, okay ... I'll post the recipe here. It's really very simple. (that's the only kind I do <BR> <BR>Make the dressing the day before. Mix 1 C mayo, 2t cider vinegar & 3T sugar. Mix well, cover and refrigerate until you're ready for it the next day. <BR> <BR>Then, all you do is pour it over: <BR>- 2 bunches of broccoli (just the ends cut up into bite size pieces) <BR> <BR>- 6 slices of crispy bacon (broken up into little pieces) <BR> <BR>- red onion (med size, chopped) <BR> <BR>- 1 C currants (comes in a box on a shelf by the raisins) <BR> <BR>Mix until all the ingredients are well coated. That's it!! - very easy and always a hit. I give this recipe out all the time Enjoy!!

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 11:40 AM
Art

Thanks folks for all of your nice comments. Makes me want to do it again!!! I'm thinking about doing a HOT BUTTER RUM party in Feb or March. Meanwhild, I'm having lunch at my desk and cruising through the forum, eating some of the delicious food left behind by you all (yall). The only thing that I would change is not to BBQ but just have food that can be warmed up. (I'm just having the last of the chicken for lunch today.) I'll start a new thread when the time comes closer, but in the meantime you could e-mail me with your preferences re Feb or March. By the way, the reason that I would not BBQ again is only so I could have time to enjoy more of the conversations and see more of the photo albiums (I only got to look at 2.) <BR>Art <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -