Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thank you, everyone! Just returned from our long awaited trip to Rome and Naples

Search

Thank you, everyone! Just returned from our long awaited trip to Rome and Naples

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this board and helped me plan our first trip to Italy. As helpful as the guidebooks are this message forum, to me, is the icing on the cake and I can't thank you enough for all the helpful information you provide. It was the planning of this trip, however long ago, that led me to this board in the first place and I am always so grateful for the information gleened here.

Our trip started off with a few bumps in the road. Within the first two hours of our flight from Atlanta to Rome boxes in an overhead bin fell on my head and shoulder; a boy threw a headset in my direction hitting me in the now sore shoulder; and then our flight was diverted to JFK so that a child, determined too sick to fly, and his family could seek help before making their long trip home to Germany.

That we had postponed this trip by one year, one month and two weeks (but who was counting??) made me wonder if we were ever going to get there! but good things come to those who wait and our trip to Rome and Naples was one of the best, if not the best, trip we've ever taken. We returned late last night very happy...jet lagged and confused--after five hours of sleep I woke up thinking we were still in Rome!

Now that we're home, and Christmas is just three days away, my head is spinning with things to do but over the holidays I hope to find the time to write a short trip report to include pictures.

What a very special place Italy is. This was one of those rare times that when it came time to return home we weren't ready... the people, food, sights and sounds, wow!

Thank you all, again! AnnMarie
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 01:43 AM

Good morning. The worst thing about coming home is waking up at 4am for a week! If you're like us you're desperately wishing they'd deliver Rome pizza to your doorstep. (I still crave it and I've been home for 10 months.)

Glad you had fun---once you got there. When your head stops spinning please give us a trip report.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:34 AM

Welcome back! So glad you had a great trip. I will be looking forward to hearing all about it once your head clears!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:35 AM

Dearest AnnMarie, I knew this was you before I opened the thread! So happy you FINALLY made it to Italy. (Sorry about those boxes!)

<<when it came time to return home we weren't ready>>

I know the feeling all too well.

Welcome home friend!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:38 AM

AnnMarie -

Isn't Italy one of those places that you think you will be prepared to love and then find that it is even more magical that you imagined?

I am really looking forward to your trip report. Be careful of that jetlag/post trip depression. It can be a bear. But writing a trip report is a great antidote!

Linda
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:32 AM

At the risk of sounding like a Grinch, I'd sure the boy who hit me with the headset, or his parents or both he and his parents were going to make a substantial financial contribution to my next trip to Italy. I would think the airline would have to assume some liability for boxes falling out of the overhead, because I doubt the overhead bin was properly latched shut.

Glad you were able to finally take this trip!

BC
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:46 AM

I was hoping AnnMarie was going to tell us how effective it was when she strangled the kid AND the kid's Mother who was acting as if she didn't know who the kid was.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if that wonderful child is the offspring of those people who were sitting in Business Class and wanted to trade their seats periodically.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Dukey, as ever My gosh, it's as though you were there!

If ever I hear "Daniel don't..." one more time I will scream for certain. Mom ducked her head and mumbled she was sorry; later in the flight a male passenger sitting behind me asked the boy to sit still, mom did nothing as he did absolutely everything he could think of to get attention, I'm assuming. We don't have kids so I don't understand the psychology behind their behaviour. Thankfully, he fell asleep for quite a long time so all was well...until he woke up.

BC, to clarify, the boxes fell when a passenger opened the overhead bin... shift happens. ;-)