Notices

Thames Clippers commuter service tickets

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
WLS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thames Clippers commuter service tickets

Has anyone used the Thames Clippers commuter service recently? In researching the Tate Boat, I discovered that it no longer makes a stop at the London Eye, however we can make that trip on the Thames Clippers. Just for fun we may use it a few other times as well. I have been trying to decipher the ticket info on the Thames Clippers site and was hoping that someone could explain the "new" book of 10 single journey tickets which are advertised as being 20% less than single tickets with an additional 1/3 off for travelcard holders. I can not figure out if one must show a paper travelcard for this discount or if the oyster card will do. I also was wondering if two people could use the tickets in one book. The price for the book wasn't obvious to me either. Any insight is much appreciated!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM

I don't know about the books of ten tickets. They apparently give a 20% discount, so if the normal fare is £5, ten tickets should be £40, or presumably something like £26.67 with the travelcard discount.
The travelcard discount applies to most boat services in London. It is a Transport for London system, so is certainly available with Oyster Cards as well as paper travelcards.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:59 AM
WLS
Original Poster

Thanks GeoffHamer. The 2-for-1 discounts all require the paper travelcard and the boat web site said something about this ticket book being a temporary measure until they became oyster card compatible so I wasn't sure what we would need to show in order to get the 1/3 off discount.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM

The two-for-one discounts with train companies are an entirely different arrangement.
The 33% discount on boat services is a Transport for London scheme and applies to most boat services in London; it is Transport for London which runs the Oystercard system so they are part of the discount arrangements.
Thames Clippers' books of ten tickets are said to be a temporary measure until they're included in the Oystercard pay-as-you-go system: instead of buying a book of ten tickets, passengers will load an appropriate amount on their Oystercard.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
WLS
Original Poster

Got it now, GeoffHamer. Thanks for clearing that up!