Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thames Boat Ride to Greenwich Then 2pm Show at the Globe. Doable?

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 04:53 PM
dru

Trying to decide when to get down to Greenwich on our upcoming trip. We have tickets at the Globe for a Saturday, 2pm show. Would like to take a boat ride to Greenwich, see some of Greenwich & then head back for the show. Is this doable or should we save Greenwich for another day? (ps- not planning on seeing the Dome this visit). As always thanks!!

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 10:26 PM
Jane

This trip would be very easily doable. The boat will land you in right in centre of Greenwich within a short walk of Cuttty sark, Queens house, royal Observatory etc. If you got there around 10 ish you could therefore have a good couple of hours looking around sites browsing through market etc. before returning for the 2pm performance. This would give you plenty of time to get the external feel of the place but you would miss some of the detailed stuff like the maritime museum and the exhibitions inside royal observatory which are really worth a visit if you decide a longer time is possible. If you do not want to return by boat you can get back from Greenwich into Waterloo by train in about 12-15 minutes on a very regular service. Train station is about ten minutes walk from sites. There are loads of cheap noodle bars,cafes in Greenwich etc where you could catch a quick but decent lunch.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 06:18 AM
Donna

You are going to have a great trip. I just wanted to add that if you want to ride on the London Eye, the grand Ferris-wheel that just opened, you must get tickets IN ADVANCE! You'll see it from afar, it will attract like the Pied Piper, and you'll find a sold-out sign on the door or the ticket sales office. <BR> <BR>London Eye is easily findable, it is so tall. Picture where Big Ben is, cross the Westminster Bridge to the other bank, and there you are. <BR> <BR>Unlike the Ferris wheel in Paris at the Place de Concorde, where there is no waiting! If your trip is taking you to Paris, go on this Ferris wheel at 10:58 p.m. so you can be in the air when the Eiffel Tower starts flickering for 10 minutes! Like lots of little light bulbs popping off!

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 09:05 AM
Bill Irving

If you are talking about the boats that depart from near Big Ben. It takes about 45 mins to an hour 1 way to get to Greenwhich. It is an Enjoyable trip, 1 which we have done numerous times. but in order for you to make a 2pm performance, you will need to watch your timing. You will need to take an early boat, check on when they start operating in the morning, it is either 9am or 10am. Allow for time to get tickets & be in Line. As previous posters have mentioned, much to do in Greenwich. The Queen's house & Marine Museum are worth a look, but if you are doing other things in Greenwich, I don't know if you will have time to go up to see the Royal Observatory & the 0 meridian. It is really a hike up a steep hill for that, but it is a fantastic view, & if you don't do too much else in Greenwich you will have time for that. When we go to Greenwich in the morning, we usually got done doing things & leave by about 4pm, so you may have to cut down on seeing a few things to get back before 2pm. Going back, you can also take the walkway tunnel under the Thames, entrance near the Cutty Sark, & then go to the docklands light rail station as you come out the other side & take that to where you need to go. This is covered by a zone 2 metro pass. The Gypsy Moth pub, just pass the Cutty Sark, is a good place for some pub grub & a pint for lunch.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Phil

Dru: Doable, yes, but enjoyable, I don't know. There is so much to see and to do in Greenwich that I think it a pity to spend only a few hours there. I would rather suggest that you do some sightseeing in the City before going to the Globe show. <BR> <BR>If you stick to your original plan, there is a new (faster) way to get from Greenwich to Southwark: Both the docklands light railway and the Jubilee line extensions are operating: Take a northbound DLR train at Cutty Sark station and connect at Canary Wharf to a westbound Jubilee line train for 4 stations to Southwark station. It's a short walk from there to the Globe. the whole trip is inside tube zone 2. <BR> <BR>Phil.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 01:44 PM
Julie

If you are going to Greenwich I suggest you read the book "Longitude" before you go and you will not want to miss the Royal Observatory with all the history that is involved there. We were amazed at the number of people there who had no idea of the importance of what they were looking at. Be aware that the schedule for the boat departures varies by season. It would have worked better for us to have taken the train out & taken the boat trip back.