Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Thalys site -- credit card problem (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/thalys-site-credit-card-problem-730512/)

MademoiselleFifi Aug 20th, 2007 03:26 PM

Thalys site -- credit card problem

I tried to buy tickets on Thalys.com today, and it rejected both my VISA and Amex credit cards. Are they requiring the cards with the chip? Has anyone successfully purchased from the website using a US credit card?

hopscotch Aug 20th, 2007 03:51 PM

Ring them up.

MademoiselleFifi Aug 20th, 2007 04:24 PM

It's 2am over there; I just thought some of the Thalys experts here would know if they've started requiring the smart-chip cards.

Robespierre Aug 20th, 2007 04:30 PM

I bought a few tickets from them in July with US cards (YMMV). Did you try more than one card?

But if you specify that you want to pick them up in France, you will either need either to queue on interminable lines at a station or a chipped card for the DiY machine.

I had mine mailed to my hotel, and they saved them with my room reservation for me.

MademoiselleFifi Aug 20th, 2007 04:48 PM

Tried three cards, all rejected. I ended up buying from RailEurope at a higher price. (Well, at least not as much higher as it first appeared-- I hadn't noticed before that the RailEurope prices were in USD, not euros).

NeoPatrick Aug 20th, 2007 04:54 PM

If you're typing in numbers online, I don't get what a chip card would have to do with it. What am I missing here?

MademoiselleFifi Aug 20th, 2007 04:58 PM

So maybe their website was just having problems today. Can't think of any reason for all 3 cards to be declined-- at least one worked elsewhere just now.

MademoiselleFifi Aug 21st, 2007 03:01 AM

Here's the email reply from Thalys:

"It's effectively because you have an American credit card.
I advice you to book your trip via the phone (0032 2 528 28 28) or to buy your tickets when you arrive at the station.

Regards,

Baptiste Wilbaux
Service Clientèle - Klantendienst Thalys - Kundenbetreuung Thalys - Thalys
Customer Service"

CRose10328 Aug 21st, 2007 04:52 AM

I bought tickets in mid July and had them delivered to an address in Germany of a friend we will be visiting before making our trip. I first submitted a Capital One card as I knew there would be exchange fees with the charges being in Euros. Rejected. I called Capital One and they sent me to the fraud department because I hadn't notified them I would be traveling or buying in Euros. They said they would let it go through if I tried again. So I tried it again using that card. Rejected again. Apparently with the website if you try one card and it's rejected you have to wait 24 hours. I did call Capital One back and they said no further charges were attempted from them. I finally got frustrated and used a different card, another Visa from another bank, which was immediately accepted.

I don't understand either how they could know if you have a chip if you're just putting in numbers. And if they're no longer accepting US credit cards, that is a relatively new policy then.

Well, good luck on your purchase.

Robespierre Aug 21st, 2007 05:54 AM

"I advice you to book your trip via the phone..."

Huh? You mean more information can be transmitted by phone than over the 'net?

"I don't understand either how they could know if you have a chip if you're just putting in numbers."

Every card number begins with four digits that indicate the card issuer. It is very easy to differentiate between US and non-US cards.

ira Aug 21st, 2007 07:02 AM

Hi M,

It is always a good idea to let your CC company know that you will be making purchase from abroad.

The computers look for unusual activity and often reject it.

((I))

Christina Aug 21st, 2007 08:39 AM

That email certainly implies they won't accept American credit cards any more -- it's possible they won't accept any foreign cards, or maybe just European ones. I don't think that says anything about it having anything to do with a chip, which it cannot if it's online.