Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Thalys point-to-point (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/thalys-point-to-point-463766/)

lifetravel Jul 31st, 2004 06:21 AM

Thalys point-to-point

I am in the process of buying point-to-point tickets for the following sectors and have some questions.

Amsterdam - Brussels
Brussels - Paris

Do I need to get reservcations?
Once I get reservations, can I take an earlier or later train on the same day. I am hoping to take both trains real early in the day but don't want to take the chance that hubby and I will necessarily wake up that early. COuld someone please advice ? If I make a reservation for a train that leaves mid-morning, can I still take the first train out?

Thanks in advance.

ira Jul 31st, 2004 07:00 AM

Hi life,

>Do I need to get reservcations?

For the Thalys, YES. All seats are reserved and the ticket is for that train only.

>Once I get reservations, can I take an earlier or later train on the same day?

Yes, if the train you want is not full.

>If I make a reservation for a train that leaves mid-morning, can I still take the first train out?

See above.

Travelnut Jul 31st, 2004 05:28 PM

From Amsterdam to Brussels, you can take a regular 'regional' train and you don't have to make reservations. (A 'reservation' isn't a ticket to ride, it holds a specific seat in a specific car for you). If you don't have reservations, then your ticket is good for any departure that day. In any case, you find your own seats.

From Brussels to Paris, the best option is the Thalys. The reservation is mandatory and is included in the ticket price. If you miss the reserved train, you no longer have a reservation. Depending on the ticket you bought, you might be able to exchange it but you don't really want to have to deal with that, do you? If you book a mid-morning train, then there is no seat for you on an earlier train and your ticket is not valid for that departure. And conductors do check every ticket. The Brussels - Paris leg is just over an hour, so go ahead and make it a bit later.

Travelnut Jul 31st, 2004 05:32 PM

OK, Ira, now I'm re-reading your statement about being able to take an earlier Thalys. In order to do that, doesn't one have to exchange the ticket and get new seat reservations? It wouldn't seem that one could just board an earlier train, as someone else might have the seat numbers that were assigned for the subsequent departure...

Graziella5b Jul 31st, 2004 09:14 PM

Why don t you buy your tickets in Europe they are cheaper by far and then you will be sure when do you wish to travel. Unless it is some unique day mostly like you will find a seat specially in first.

Travelnut Aug 1st, 2004 05:00 AM

Graziella5b, you can directly buy Thalys tickets at a discount online about 60 days in advance. Those discounts are gone by the time you arrive in person. I agree you will pay more for p2p tickets from RailEurope in advance than just buying in person.

lifetravel Aug 1st, 2004 06:42 AM

thanks everyone for the responses ....

ira Aug 1st, 2004 06:58 AM

>....your statement about being able to take an earlier Thalys. In order to do that, doesn't one have to exchange the ticket and get new seat reservations?<

Yes.