Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Thai or Finnair from Australia to Madrid
Notices

Thai or Finnair from Australia to Madrid

Mar 16th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thai or Finnair from Australia to Madrid

My family and I (DH and 2 sons 20&18yrs) will be travelling to Madrid mid December. We have two options available to us to get there - either Thai (via Bangkok) or Finnair (Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong then Finnair via Helsinki). The return journey will be from London and, if we choose Finnair, then we would be returning with British Airways via Singapore. There is quite a difference in total cost between the two options - around AU$2000 cheaper with Finnair.

I'm wondering if anyone has travelled with Finnair on a longhaul flight and whether they found the economy class seats "comfortable" - my 18y.o. is 6 foot 3 inches (and still growing!). DH who is slightly over 6foot remembers a BA flight from London to Sydney about 6 years ago that was extremely cramped and uncomfortable - is this still the case?

Comments on the Skytrax website indicate Thai may be the best option for tall people.
Any thoughts from Fodorites would be greatly appreciated.
Mar 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM

just my two cents worth...
i have taken both airlines to Bangkok from Singapore before, and I must say I love Thai much more...even in 2 mere hours, I felt much more comfortable with Thai and the food was much better in my memory.
The fact that I do not like doing transits will also push me towards Thai since you only need to make one connection, which also means it takes you shorter time to get there?

If you have the flight itinerary which shows you the model of the plane you are taking, you can go to www.seatguru.com to chk out the seats.
From what I see, the width and pitch of the seats vary by only an inch or so... not very much difference...
Mar 16th, 2009, 11:26 PM

I've been lucky with Finnair, I Guess
I like it.
I would save the money, but I am not 6 foot 3!
Mar 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou for your thoughts. They were very much appreciated. It looks like we'll be going with Thai: return flight out of London looks like it will be a bit roomier compared to British Airways for my son and the flight with Thai into Madrid is much more of a direct route (arriving at 8:30am as opposed to 8:00pm and without a quite lengthy layover). Once again, thanks for your help.

Search this Thread