Search

TGV travel Paris to Provence region

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGV travel Paris to Provence region

Hi!
I am a little last minute in my holiday planning and am trying to book train tickets (TGV) for early April now..
I went through the forums and comments on trying to find bargains.. I went to scnf.com and idtgv.com as well as rail europe.. I am a little confused..

I was able to find Euro 30 tickets for going into Provence but while getting back the tickets are expensive (Eur 79)..
In addition the charge per baggage per way is Eur 35.. While I feel that the train tickets though expensive are OK - but the baggage cost is too high.. I would have 2 bags (bigger than hand luggage) and would end up paying Eur 70 per way.

- Are there any suggestions on reducing the baggage costs?
- The rail europe site does not talk about luggage costs. Dont know what to interpret of this - does it mean baggage needs to be paid for at the station or somewhere or there is no charge?
- Any suggestions on other websites for cheaper fares or luggage?

Look forward to your suggestions..
Thanks
Vins
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Btw I am travelling from Paris to Marseille while going
and Aix en Provence to Paris on my return.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 09:59 AM

Unless it has changed virtually within 3 days (we just picked up a friend off the TGV on Saturday, she had a suitcase the size of a teenager), the baggage allowance is 2 pieces of self-stored luggage and one hand piece.

So, if you can lift your cases onto the train (or have a porter do it) the large cases go in a luggage area at the end (or beginning) of the carriage and you can keep one piece with you. BTW, there are not always porters available.

The best web site to use, imo, is www.voyages-sncf.com, which has an English version. You could price Avignon to see if you get a better price but the prices you're getting aren't bad for this late.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 10:05 AM

Rail Europe generally does not sell discounted tickets and certainly will have no information about iDTGV tickets which are only sold on line.

It would be much easier to offer assistance had you simply included your travel dates. Generally however, iDTGV tickets, as well as PREMs, increase in price as tickets are sold. Tickets for April have been on sale now for months and many of the less expensive tickets will have been sold out for many dates in April. Note: iDTGV prices start at 19€. Still 70€ is not really outrageous if you are traveling near a weekend or holiday.

I have a suggestion about reducing baggage costs - carry less. Our family typically travels up to two months at a time with nothing other than one 22" roll-aboard and one small bag. With this amount of luggage I have never paid luggage charges on the iDTGV. Traveling with excessive baggage is not necessary, is difficult to handle, and will incur extra costs both by the airline and rail carrier.

Try booking on www.voyages-sncf.com which is the official French rail site (in French only). This site will list all trains, including iDTGV trains, and will offer the best available pricing.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM

There is no baggage charge (unless you're transporting a bike or something, and even that is only E10) - don't know what you're referring to.

And do NOT use www.voyages-sncf.com and click on English, as it will take you immediately to Rail Europe, which doesn't show all the trains and charges higher prices. Either stay on the French site or us www.tgv-europe.com, click on Antartica on the first screen, and proceed in English.

Given that you are booking very late, the prices you have seen (apart from that bogus luggage charge) are perfectly reasonable. I'm actually amazed you found a E30 price for the outgoing run.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 10:11 AM

<i>www.voyages-sncf.com, which has an English version.</i>

Be careful attempting to use English on this site. Selecting English will bump you to at least www.tgv-europe.com. However, it might bump you to Raileurope, particularly if you indicate you are from the USA, where no iDTGV nor PREM ticket information or sales is available.

For information about purchasing train tickets in Europe and France:

www.seat61.com
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.. I checked again and the allowance was for baggages in addition to 2 allowed.. Phew.. Thats a relief..
Now need to try and get some better priced tickets..
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 10:20 AM

StCirq - the iDTGV trains do impose a 35€ baggage charge to anything that is not carry-on.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 10:23 AM

Ah, thanks, Sarastro. I haven't used an iDTGV train.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 10:29 AM

I did not know iDTGV tickets incurred a baggage charge, must have changed since last May when I booked tickets to-from Paris-Toulouse. That's not nice.

I also didn't know that reverting to English bounced you to RailEurope, I muddle through in French. Thanks for letting me know.

I need to be more careful.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 11:10 AM

The baggage charge on the iDTGV trains has not changed it´s been there since the inception of the iDTGV trains. Luggage charges, pet charges and other miscellaneous charges are all part of the booking process. You will not incur a fee if you only have simple carry-on luggage.

Depending upon the country of origin you select when choosing English from the www.voyages-sncf.com website, you will be bumped to different sites with differing price structures. Saying you are from the USA will transfer you to Raileuorpe. Indicating you are from Afghanistan or Antarctic will allow you to continue on www.tgv-europe.com in English, payment is made in euros.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Seriously, have done iDTGV several times and have never seen a separate baggage charge. Is it because the first class tickets are so cheap we usually opt for those and they don't charge for luggage in first?

I just tried to test buy a 2nd class ticket but the reservation system was down.

Well, have learned a lot today.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 11:28 AM

Bit further research:

http://www.idtgv.com/en/aide/frequen...age-i-can-take
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi! Thanks for your replies.. My son is <4 years - and the website stated that they are free of charge if they travel without a separate seat.. I have booked a ticket for m husband and myself and not for him. Is it OK? Is there anywhere I need to mention or inform them about my child traveling with me?
Thanks