Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > TGV tickets from Avignon to Paris
Notices

TGV tickets from Avignon to Paris

Feb 18th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

TGV tickets from Avignon to Paris

I am trying to book tgv tickets for our France trip next month. We will be going from Avignon to Paris on March 20. The cheapest rate I can find is $230 usd for 2nd class seats. Does this seem high? Does anyone have suggestions for finding a better deal? Thanks!
Feb 18th, 2008, 06:36 AM

SNCF won't quote prices in USD, so you are not using the French railway, I presume, but going through some travel agency? I am guessing probably Raileurope. If that is for two people, since you say we, that actually isn't too high given the current rate of exchange--only $115 per person. If it's for one person, it's high. I think regular fares are around 70-100 euro and advance purchase discoutn tickets (nonrefundable and nonchangeable) are often around 40-50 euro. That is per person. So maybe $150 regular fare and $75 discount APEX.
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:06 AM

www.voyages-sncf.com for discount online tickets only. Look for PREM FARES which can be much cheaper than you quote. Yes sounds like you are getting prices from RailEurope like Christina thinks if they were quoted in dollars. Though RE is largely owned by the French Railways, the SNCF, they often charge more than www.voyages-sncf.com but not always and as Christina says that fare if for both is in the ballpark. But try voyages-sncf first and if buying RailEurope tickets then i always advise calling their agent Budget Europe 800-441-2387 for their expertise and more important not charge RailEurope's $18 mailing fee. RailEurope fees indeed can increase the cost you mention - they typically have a $15 booking fee per order and a $18 mailing fee and charge +10% if you want to talk to someone.

Search this Thread