Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

TGV tickets: Can we buy them a few days before we want to use them?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it risky to try to purchase TGV tickets a few days before you plan to use them? We'll be arriving in Nice on October 6 and want to take the TGV to Paris on October 10. We were thinking of just buying tickets at the Nice train station when we arrive on the 6th. Do these trains get booked early? Is it really necessary to book them in advance online? We've been struggling with all the train websites refusing our credit card--in spite of following the advice on this website.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:54 PM

As long as there are seats, there will be tickets available on a TGV train up until the date of travel. The difference is what you will pay for them since the lowest fares are offered when the tickets are first on sale three months or so in advance.

If you continue to have a problem using your credit cards, you might want to try www.capitainetrain.com . I haven't used this site, but it has been recommended by several knowledgeable posters including the Man in Seat 61 - http://www.seat61.com/voyages-sncf.htm#.UhaH6dLVArU
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:58 PM

You can buy them up until 5 minutes before the train leaves, assuming there are still seats available. BUT you'll pay top dollar, often 100% or more than you would booking online 3 months ahead of time.

If you're having trouble with www.voyages-sncf.com, use www.capitainetrain.com - exactly the same prices and schedules as on the SNCF site, but often easier with regard to credit card payment.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 01:59 PM

<i>
Posted by: genoise on Aug 22, 13 at 5:27pm
Is it risky to try to purchase TGV tickets a few days before you plan to use them? We'll be arriving in Nice on October 6 and want to take the TGV to Paris on October 10.</i>

As MaineGG says, tickets are available as long as there are seats available. Being as October 10 is low season, a Wednesday, and there are no holidays within a few weeks, your chance of getting a ticket when you arrive in Nice are pretty good. See http://tinyurl.com/eym5b for an introduction to trains and examples of TGV tickets.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 02:55 PM

Have you checked http://www.idtgv.com/en/ ? There are good fares available for both 1st and 2nd class on October 10.

I find this site very easy to use and have not had a problem with my US credit card when purchasing tickets there.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:33 PM

Create an id on http://www.voyages-sncf.com & buy them on line. More likely you'll save some money vs buying in the station. Tickets contain bar code & can be printed at home. Presently Oct 10 price varies from 36.00€ to 54.00€ for direct train. Lower fare is IDTGV which is online promotional fare. If certain departure doesn't show it then it's probably sold out.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM

On top of the cost and the availability issues, I don't like buying tickets at the Nice station. It is a very busy station without corresponding number of service windows = wait unless you have a CHIP and PIN credit card usable at ticket machines. If you must buy in town, go to the in-town SNCF boutique instead.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 12:39 PM

It is rare for a train to be completely sold out. And you aren't even planning to do it the same day, but 4 days in advance for a Thursday. I can't see any problem, the only ones I've seen full were people returning home after holidays or weekends (eg, Tours to Paris on Sunday afternoon).