TGV-Prems-France

Search

TGV-Prems-France

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGV-Prems-France

Can someone run through how this works for me so I can feel comfortable about booking this in advance. My french is limited. I have worked my way through the website and have found the train & the Prem fare. Just want to make sure of the fine print before I book. Do you book, print off the res and then pay at the train station? What is the courier piece all about? Please advise. Trying to go from Paris to Dijon. Looks like I can get a Prems fare for 76 euros for two in 2nd class or 90 euros for two in first. Is the 1rst class worth it? Doesn't seem that much difference. Thanks for any and all input.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Isn't there an English option?
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:59 AM
ira

Hi liz,

You could click the English option if you are uncomfortable with French.

>Do you book, print off the res and then pay at the train station? <

You book, Pay with a credit card, and then print your ticket.

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Was not able to find one. Can you assist? Thanks.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Hi lizaq,
Go to sncf.com, then at the bottom left of the page, very small, is a british flag, click on that and you're in.
Let me know if you have any questions, I just booked a TGV PREM return set of tickets from CDG to Lyon, as well as a hotel room.

If you are using TGV, there is tgv.com, again with an english version.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 06:51 AM

I also printed my tickets out. You can choose to pick them up at the train station, using same credit card that you used to buy the tickets. Note that when printing, it is using european paper size, I had to take some office paper and cut it to size
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 07:18 AM
ira

Hi MP,

You can use standard 8.5 x 11 paper to print the tickets.

You can also use B&W.

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 07:41 AM

Hi Ira,
My printer asked for 7 1/4 x 11, and after going 'what is that??", I caved and cut some paper to size. Same thing happened when I printed out a tour list from Lyon Tourist Bureau. Maybe my printer needs to be told to overide the desired paper. But it is comforting, for my first try at sncf/TGV, to have the tickets in hand. Must say it was a bit confusing to try to tell the site I wanted to leave and arrive from CDG and not Gare de Lyon. Quite happy with hotel rates from the site.
Cheers
mike
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:10 AM

lizag, welcome to Dijon!
If you any questions...
just passing by or staying for a few days?

enjoy!
corinne
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:25 AM

lizaq,

I just did this, with the help of other Fodorites. Got four Prem tickets on the TGV that goes from the airport at CDG to Dijon for €25 each. Got four coming from Dijon to Gare de Lyon in Paris for €15 each.

Of course I got each of these as soon as the site listed them -- 60 days ahead of the travel date, so don't mess around as the cheapo tickets go fast.

Have a great trip -- you will LOVE Dijon!

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 10:14 AM
ira

Hi MP,

>My printer asked for 7 1/4 x 11, and after going 'what is that??", I caved and cut some paper to size.<

Next time just use regular paper. It won't matter if it is too wide or too long. You get problems only when the paper is smaller than required.

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you one and all who replied. You people are very kind to dummy me. My last question and then I promise to hit the purchase button...Under terms & conditions of the purchase of online fares, it states that you can purchase online if you are a resident of specific countries. The US is not listed. Should I be concerned...or am I reading too much into this? To cocofromdijon - Thank you for the welcome-The plan is 2 nights Paris/one week on barge out of Dijon/pickup rental car in Dijon-hang out in Vezalay, off to Loire, on to Normandy, back to Paris. Playing some of this by ear. Have booked car, hotels in Paris & barge. Rest is at whim. Total trip is close to 3 weeks. Love to hike/bike/drink/eat. Think Burgundy will be great for that! I know I'm doing all of this at last minute but just found out I could get the time off from work (big project got pulled) and they didn't have to tell me twice! Liza
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:13 AM

No, you should not be concerned. Leave France as the country and you'll be fine.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Hi Liza, hope the weather will be with you! 8-)
Did you have a look at nukesafe's thread about barging in Burgundy? You may have a few questions to ask him...
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34686300
Where will you pick up your boat? Dijon, Pontailler, St Jean de Losne?

have a great trip!
corinne
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Coco-Thanks for the link. His trip sounds great. I would have liked to do the "rent yourself barge" but with just my husband/me & the whirlwind last minute plan, I have opted to be on a more commercial excursion. We will be on a barge called Litote which has a chef,etc & has around 10 cabins. Do you know that one? Goes down the Burgundy Canal. I plan to spend most of my time on the bike...until I hear the corks pop! Hopefully there will be fun people on board...but if not, we will make our own fun no matter what the weather is like!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:57 AM

sounds great! I don't know he Litote. I just found this link you maybe know
http://www.burgundy-canal.com/barge/...se-litote.html
on that website I saw "la reine Pédauque" which is nice and smaller. (I know the captain's wife who runs apartment rentals in Dijon)

http://www.bargesinfrance.com/litote.htm
on this one I can see you're starting your trip from Vandenesse en Auxois, Chateauneuf is a lovely medieval village. I can see you'll even go to Dijon market on tuesday morning, along with a tour in the historic streets. (the flat I rent out is just in front the nice big door of the Fine Arts museum ;-))
I'm sure you'll love your trip now I can see where you're going. La vallée de l'Ouche is really nice.
If I'm in town, I'll have a look at your barge in the port of Dijon. (next tuesday or the one after?)
I won't say "enjoy your trip" again because I'm sure now you will
coco
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Anyone have concerns with buying train tickets for the month of October and guessing if there will be another strike? Some reports I have read make note that the Union plans on rotating strikes up until the end of this month with little or no notice.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:07 AM

ttt
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 09:47 AM

If you didn't buy a train ticket on the French railway because you were afraid they could have another strike, you would never buy one.