TGV paris to montpellier

Jun 28th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

TGV paris to montpellier

I arrive paris CDG 6:15am

There are TGV trains going to montpellier in the morning but leaving from GARE DE LYON.

how long can i expect it will take to get off the plane and to the train station?

Can i get away witout making a booking like you would any other train? It this saturday the 3rd
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:55 PM

There are direct TGVs from the CDG airport station to Montpellier, for example at 7:32, 9:45, 13:11. Save you a lot of time over connecting in Paris.
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

ripper, i tried to find that on the SNCF site but couldn't (maybe lack of french speaking ability).

I ahven't booked a ticket yet. Is that a big problem?
Jun 29th, 2004, 01:24 AM
lekker

I find Rialeurope easier to use for schedules. Their prizes are usually higher but you can only use them to get the schedules!

Jun 29th, 2004, 02:22 AM

Hi bhuty2003: I was in Paris in March, it takes about 45 minutes to ride the RER commuter train into Paris from CDG.
The RER train is located in CDG's Terminal 2. If you arrive in Terminal 1, you have to walk outside and catch a shuttle bus to the RER Station in Terminal 2. The shuttle busses come every 10 mins or so.

To make it easy for you, here is exactly what you do: take the RER-B line into the "Chatelet-les-Halles" RER/Metro station, then transfer to either the RER-A line (direction: Boissy-Saint-Leger or Marne-la-Vallee) OR the RER-D line (direction: Melun or Malesherbes). Both RER lines pass through Gare de Lyon....after exiting at the Gare de Lyon stop, you just walk up from the RER lines to the main SCNF train terminal above. Once inside the train area, you will see the ticket windows in front of you. I bought my TGV ticket the same day, about 2 hours before my departure, seat reservation and all. I wouldn't anticipate there being a problem for you as the TGV Mediterranee is a regular route to/from Paris and the sud. There are little coffee places (standing room only) adjacent to the trains and benches all around where you can pass your time while waiting for your departure. All in all, I would allot approx. 1.5 hours for this adventure, just to be on the safe side (you can probably expect to board a 8:00 or 9:00 am train). Bon voyage!
Jun 29th, 2004, 02:31 AM

The trains to the south this coming weekend will be very busy as it's the start of the French holiday season. If the trains do not appear on the SNCF web site, it may be because they're fully booked.
Jun 29th, 2004, 02:56 AM

I would recommend booking considering the holiday season as Geoff mentioned.

There are trains at 7h32 am and 9h45 am which both show availability. When searching for a departure from the airport do the following for english searches. Click on the british flag on the home page. Select advanced search. Enter "airport CDG" in the departure field and click on "or choose here". Select airport CDG 2 TGV from the pop up menu. Enter your destination as Montpellier and fill in the dates etc. This should show you the trains from the airport to montpellier. I would go for the 7h32 one myself since you have such an early saturday arrival at the airport crowds should be light. Since you are booking so late your ticket will more than likely be changable anyway.
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi,

Morgan has it right.

There are seats on the 7:32 and the 9:45.

I would book on the 9:45. The worst thing that will happen is that you will have a second breakfast at CDG.
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:04 AM

Does it really work to plug in "airport CDG"? I use the French site exclusively, and it never recognizes "CDG" - only Roissy.

Anyway, I would definitely make a reservation and probably for the later train, as getting luggage at CDG has sometimes taken me the better part of an hour.

Also, it depends what terminal you're arriving at. If you're arriving at Terminal 1, you'll have to take a shuttle to Terminal 2 to get the traian, and that, too, takes time.
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:46 AM

If it's a TGV, you MUST have a reservation. Otherwise you can't be on that train.
Jun 29th, 2004, 08:47 AM

It's true, Kristinelaine, that you must have a reservation for a TGV, but it's also true that you can purchase that reservation up until 5 minutes before the train departs.
Jun 29th, 2004, 08:49 AM

St Cirq- I guess it works both ways lol. I usually use the french site and i put aeroport CDG then hit the button to chose from the list and it works.. never tried roissy... I checked on the english site before making the post and airport cdg worked.
Jun 29th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

hey you guys are brilliant.

I arrive at terminal 2a. so i should be ok.

If i read right then i arrive at 6:15, can expect not not even get out and about till after 7am then 45 minutes to Gare de lyon which gets me too late for the first train.

BUT if i miss a train AND they have room for the next one then i should be ok to just change the ticket tot he next train.

I should book before i leave because its busy but if this wasn't an issue then i can book and pay as i arrive.

If there is any other critical info i missed please let me know. All else fails i'll just stay overnight.
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:50 AM

Geoff makes a good point. Book your seat ASAP. I waited until a week before booking a TGV to Nice that was also the start of a holiday week-end and the train was almost completely sold out. I had to start in one car in Brussels, get off in Lille and go to another car in order to stay on the same train for the trip.
My experience with French train online bookings has been as Geoff described...if a particular train that normal runs that route doesn't show up as one of your options, it means it's been sold out.
Assuming you can get one of the trains from CDG listed, go with the 9:45 am as suggested.
Jun 30th, 2004, 01:31 AM

Bhuty2003, the 7h32 train to Montpellier leaves from terminal 2 at CDG airport, not Gare de Lyon. So you would not need to go into Paris at all. Thats why I suggested you put "airport CDG" into your search.

Just follow the signs to the TGV station which is located at the end of hall C. The easiest would be just to walk there by walking through hall C. Alternately you could take the shuttle bus outside to the station.

If you choose to book the latter train then if you make it in time to the station for the earlier one just go up to the window and try to switch out your ticket. You can probably do it without any fee and often the early AM trains will have seats anyway despite it being a holiday.
Jun 30th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

morgan i love you....in the blokey bloke sense

I knew i could catch a train from CDG but i just couldn't work it out and missed that clue you stated. Thank you ever so much for getting back and restating that for me.

So i booked a ticket at 7:32 which is direct so it gets there 1 hour before the train that leaves at 6:52.

now i haven't paid yet. I have to pay more than 24 hours ahead. Cost be EU120 because all the 2nd class tickets sold out....grrr...haha got to be grateful.
Jun 30th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

well, i'm glad i took advice in booking ahead. let that be a lesson to the young kids out there! lol

Hey whats the difference in seats between "window club four" and "aisle lounge"
Jun 30th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Glad I can help bhuty.

Since you are booking a one way full fare ticket I suggest that you double book both the 7:32 and the 9:45. That way if you miss the 7:32 you can just exchange it for the already reserved 9:45 train. If you wait till tomorrow to book the 9:45 then payment wont be required till 1 hour before the train leaves. That way if you need it you will have it and if you dont the reservation will just automatically cancel when you dont buy it. I double book all the time when I am unsure of times.

Dont do a window 4 club unless you are the chatty type that hopes to meet and chat with a bunch of people. Thats 4 people sitting around a table. I am not sure what the "Lounge" mention is unless it is that little room at the end of the train where there are 6 or so seats in a U shape. I really dont like those either and am not sure which is better out of the two.

I checked today and it looks like you might not have much choice because that train is now showing over booked in both first and second class. The best would be a solo window seat where you dont have to sit next to anyone. At least thats what I prefer....

If you are anal about your seat selection then check availability say twice a day to see if anything has opened up.