TGV from Paris to Vienna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Vienna for Christmas, I have seen many post that it is a long train ride and that we should fly but we wanted to see the countryside of this region. Have any of you taken the TGV from Paris to Vienna and do you have any advice on this?
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 03:44 AM

I've taken a train from Paris to Vienna a long time ago when it was much less expensive to do so. I still vividly remember the trip which I enjoyed. It was a night train and I loved waking up to the warm morning light over the green fields with onion-domed churches behind them.

However, the trip is 11.5 to 13 hours and the shorter duration on the TGV requires 3 changes in the day time. You can take the ICE train and only change once in Frankfurt (12+ hours).

Today, with inexpensive intercity airfares, I would fly.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 04:05 AM

You can't "see the countryside" on a high speed train-- it would be a blur. Take the short flight.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

If we take a flight, is there some place that we could take a train in Austria for a day or so. We have two weeks to spend between Paris/Vienna/Paris. And actually you are correct, I have taken the bullet train and it was a blur.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Of course, there are plenty of trains in Austria. YOu can take a train to Salzburg from Vienna in only 2-1/2 to 3 hours. YOu can get to Graz in 2.5 hrs or Linz in only about 1.5 Bratislava is only about an hour away, and Budapest is also about 3 hrs from Vienna.

I've taken the TGV a lot and still enjoy seeing the scenery from it, I don't consider it a blur.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Consider flying in 2 hours-- 29 - 60 euro depending when you fly .

www.flyniki.com

Salzburg makes an ideal visit during this season. Nice4 Christmas markets and fine atmosphere.

www.oebb.at

also the Salzkammergut area east of Salzburg especially by Wolfgangsee with its nice villages mountain scenery and fine Christmas markets- great This would allow you to experience the countryside

www.wolfgangsee.at
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

This sounds like a good plan, to fly there and see some of these places around there. One reason we are going during this season is to visit the Christmas markets and be in a place that feels like Christmas. This may sound lame but have never ridden a train in the winter, I suppose they are safe. Thank you for your help. We are going to stay at the Konig von Ungarn and they should be able to assist us with train travel.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 07:38 AM

The TGV is not a bullet-train but a high-speed train giving new meaning to First Class travel with extraordinary views and high comfort. Carry your own food, however, theirs is so-so and pricey.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 07:47 AM

You can't "see the countryside" on a high speed train-- it would be a blur. Take the short flight.>

rubbish and obviously this person has never taken a TGV train - you can see perfectly well the countryside - much better than on an airplane - fly and you see only airports and large cities, nothing in between. Now the time factor would make it imperative to fly perhaps if on a very short trip.

For lots of great info on European trains and TGVs (which do not go right to Vienna - change to Railjet or other Austrian trains at Zurich - a long ride but there is also I believe an overnight train perhaps - used to be anyway - great info - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. For lowest fares book the Paris to Zurich TGV online at www.voyages-sncf.com and far in advance as there are a limited number of deep discount tickets - just show up and pay much much more.

Ideally break your journey in Switzerland or even Munich if you want to go via Germany - great Christmas market there as well.

trains can be affected by winter weather but not nearly as much as planes - to wit this last week when many planes were scrubbed and some trains.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 05:18 AM

Give all the advice you want - it doesn't matter since the OP took the trip over a year ago!
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 08:56 AM

well I suppose there are others who see the title and read because they have similar plans - but yes we often do not look at how old a thread is - only the last few posts.

But anyway it may be of use to others - not only the OP reads the threads!
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 04:39 PM

I need to go to Paris and I'll be in Vienna when I leave for Paris what do I need to do.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 04:42 AM

go to the Vienna airport and fly or train station and go by train or with your own car just head west young man.
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 01:40 PM

Or you could hitch-hike via autobahns!