TGV from Paris to Tours -- questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be taking the TGV from Paris to Tours. How far in advance should I make a reservation if we're traveling in April. And how do I pick up the ticket? Do I choose the option of "collecting ticket from automatic ticket machine" -- and exactly how does that work?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM

I'll let someone else answer the question of when you should reserve for April. I think obviously around a holiday period you will need to book in advance (isn't Easter in April this year?), but probably not so much for other days. I know that train also gets very full going back to Paris on Sunday evenings in some seasons, but I don't know about April (I know it is in summer).

I have never seen that kind of option listed on the website that I recall, but I only use the French section. Is that literally what it says? If so, I don't pay any attention to it I guess, as you do not have to pick a ticket up from an automatic ticket machine ever that I know of. You can always get it from a clerk if you like. But that would be the option you would select, yes, to pick up the ticket.

How does it work? It's like any machine with various instructions you must follow to get the ticket printed out, like an ATM machine sort of. I've never gotten one to work for me yet, they are kind of confusing, but they won't accept American credit cards if you have one. That's why I always go to the ticket window.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:23 PM

The option to pick up from an automatic ticket machine is the SAME option to pick up at the window or an SNCF boutique. It's all part of one sentence on the website (or at least on the French one, which is the only one I use).

If you're looking for a PREM fare, you might find one to Tours, but it's not likely (though you MIGHT find a PREM fare to, say, Bordeaux on a train that stops at Tours - nothing to stop you from hopping off the train early). PREM fares can be booked 90 days out from the date of travel, so it's probably early to do that. If you do get a PREM fare, you opt for theprint your ticket option, NOT to pick up the ticket in France.

If you're just booking a regular fare to Tours, select the collect ticket from automatic ticket machine OR at the window or boutique, keep FRANCE as the country in which you'll pick up, bring the same credit card with you that you used to make the transaction, and allow yourself at least a half-hour at the station to stand in line to get your tickets.

It may be possible, by the way, to use the automatic ticket machines, but I've heard that American credit cards don't work in them.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Hi...
I am going to make the same journey in late April. I thought it was possible just to go to the station and buy the ticket with a reserved seat for that day. Is this not the case? Do I have to book and reserve in advance? Can it be done by phone?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM
ira

Re buying tickets,

You can purchase them as early as 60 days in advance.

If you choose the ticketless option, you have to get your tickets at the station or SNCF boutique.

You can also choose to have them delivered to you c/o your hotel in Paris.

I suggest buying tickets at least the day before. You never know how long the lines will be.

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Actually, you can now book them 90 days in advance (the PREM fares).

The advantage to buying them online, if you can find a PREM fare, is that you'll pay something like 20€ as opposed to the 60 or 80€ you'll pay if you just go to the station and buy them. Well worth it, IMO.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your help! I have a much better understanding of all of this now.